Club Theme Song “Freshen Up”

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS and Richmond (who came out reasonably unscathed) basically have the best songs now.

The banjo is ridiculous in so many of the songs. No punch, the voice is soft as butter, it is a joke.

Listen to the dog's new song....

**in a pip squeak, softly softly voice**

"bulldogs fight, and bulldogs roar"

Sung by a ******* tentitive tenterfield terrier with ptsd

I’ve heard the “updated” version (did the AFL get Apple to do the updates?). It sounds like a castrated version of the real thing.

Is nothing ******* sacred anymore? Is everything with historical significance open to tampering?

This is a real test for the club, to shut this down immediately and show they actually stand for something that means something to club members. And it’s an absolute no-brainer, they’ll get almost 100% agreement.

Eddie has already said Collingwood won’t be changing their song come hell or highwater, and we need to come out and say EXACTLY the same. I don’t care how minor the adjustments are. Just. *. Off.

I’ve heard the “updated” version (did the AFL get Apple to do the updates?). It sounds like a castrated version of the real thing.

Is nothing ******* sacred anymore? Is everything with historical significance open to tampering?

This is a real test for the club, to shut this down immediately and show they actually stand for something that means something to club members. And it’s an absolute no-brainer, they’ll get almost 100% agreement.

Eddie has already said Collingwood won’t be changing their song come hell or highwater, and we need to come out and say EXACTLY the same. I don’t care how minor the adjustments are. Just. ****. Off.

we need a petition and give it to Fagan

Eddie has already said Collingwood won’t be changing their song come hell or highwater, and we need to come out and say EXACTLY the same. I don’t care how minor the adjustments are. Just. ****. Off.

"Castrated version of the real thing" - well put.

Reckon we're a fair chance to get the new one.

It's not by the fable singers like the vic clubs, and there's an element amongst our supporters that wont care/think it sounds the same. Plus I think the Nigel types at the club will like it.

The horn parts were 10/10 all recorded on synthesiser (hence the 'thinner/tinny' sound). Also, what's with the oompa-beat style guitar strumming?

This is an atrocious attempt at recreating live recording; it's pretty clear that it was recorded in 45 minutes using the 'wonders of technology', not an actual big band (which would sound huge and excellent). One thing's for sure, the recording needs marching drums to really accent the song's 'feel'.

See:
(Start listening at 45seconds to miss prelude, 1:20 to hear full band)

Now see, this is what happens when you hand over creative decision making to the office lady’s yr 12 kid because the kid did a semester of music arrangement and interpretive dance.

Must be also how we came up with the ‘chants night’ in the shed back in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still maintain our song sucks - doesn't matter what kind of recording we go with, it's still a dull and dreary tune

The following songs are in their own special tier of awful

Adelaide
Fremantle
West Coast
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Western Bulldogs

They're all terrible, but Freo and West Coast kick it up another notch again. Absolute affront to music.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still maintain our song sucks - doesn't matter what kind of recording we go with, it's still a dull and dreary tune

The following songs are in their own special tier of awful

Adelaide
Fremantle
West Coast
Port Adelaide
Gold Coast
Western Bulldogs

I can’t stand all of the club songs, ours included, and our new recording is worse again.
If I had to chose a version of ours though, has to be the 97 GF version.

What I've just heard is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in this rambling, incoherent song were they even close to anything that could be considered a decent club song. Everyone is now dumber for having listened to it. I award the AFL no points and may God have mercy on the AFL's soul.

It sounds like an awful karaoke version of the song. I really hope the club disregards this new 'version' and sticks to the original.

The horn parts were 10/10 all recorded on synthesiser (hence the 'thinner/tinny' sound). Also, what's with the oompa-beat style guitar strumming?

This is an atrocious attempt at recreating live recording; it's pretty clear that it was recorded in 45 minutes using the 'wonders of technology', not an actual big band (which would sound huge and excellent). One thing's for sure, the recording needs marching drums to really accent the song's 'feel'.

See:
(Start listening at 45seconds to miss prelude, 1:20 to hear full band)

Definitely music like that would work better. I think with some real thought (eg OUR club doing a re recording not an AFL commissioned comp wide job where the people doing it clearly dont have any ties to the best interests of the clubs) we could do a good remake of our song.

Ive never loved our song (dont hate it but doesnt instill any passion in me) but know some (even opposition supporters) really rate it. I certainly dont think changing the whole song would be a good idea.

Criteria for me to make it best it can be
- really focus on the music building some sense of "epic"ness. Have a fast tempo to keep it upbeat and draw the kids in, but also have a strong beat/bass to it to build power. Using that videos music and adding a bit more "oomph" for powerful effect wouldn't be hard. Maybe a little longer lead in music that develops a strong beat that draws the crowd into it (like we play the music as players walk up the race to get attention, a shorter length thing with the same goal, capture attention, get the crowd involved before the lyrics start)
- the singing: needs to be anthemic. This new rerecording gives the the visual of a guy singing to a kindergarten class with a cheesy smile on his face and doing a little upwards nodding action as he emphasises tones. It needs to be stronger than that. Even think up there cazaly, Holy grail, even horses. All songs that elicit participation in part because the vocal style that abs and flows and builds in certain parts go grab you in
- 3. Return "mighty"

I can’t stand all of the club songs, ours included, and our new recording is worse again.
If I had to chose a version of ours though, has to be the 97 GF version.

which I believe was the 1996 version of our song

we need a petition and give it to Fagan

How about that Change.org thing on face book just return it to the 1997 version unless there is a better version, but this flutey tutti banjo plucking one is definitely horrid.

Also, why does it sound like it’s being sung by a bunch of elocution class graduate nonces? Sounds like a Monty Python chorus taking the piss out of the privileged upper class. Christ on a bike it’s putrid.
Exactly my sentiment. It sounds like some said. “Get around lads, and let’s cheer a jolly old tune”.

which I believe was the 1996 version of our song

They came out with the song in 95 I think.

It was used in 95-96. The original version is hard to find, even on the end of a game on youtube. I know it was played at the end of the game where Mcleod kicks the winner vs Hawthorn. It had a 'big band' sound and I think may have even been recorded by the SA Police band(??)

You can hear 10 seconds of it at the very end of this:

Then in 97 they changed to the 'GF version'. On the eve of the finals it was changed (again) to the current version, but they played the previous version at the GF & prelim in Melbourne.

For the 98 season the current version was used... except at the GF. And thats the version we have had for 20 years.

Now I have to work.

Exactly my sentiment. It sounds like some said. “Get around lads, and let’s cheer a jolly old tune”.
Because thats exactly how club/varsity/cheer songs started

Name the cheerleader who became President?

Where I don't think our song works is audience participation, there's no individual parts that stand out for us all to shout or whatever. It's sort of lets all try and clap along at the pace of the song, and it dies once the instrumental bit comes in.

This new version lacks anything at all and is so toned down that it will be even harder.

Listening to most of the new ones, it's like when the song your looking for isn't on Spotify or wherever and you accidentally play the cheap karaoke version instead.

Or a second rate singer "updates" a classic.

And why is the AFL in charge of club songs anyway? No passion in any of them. It's likely to save money they recorded all of the vocals one after an other and the rent-a-singer just didn't care about the subject.

It's like the brief was lets make them all "friendlier, more inclusive, and now that we've got multi-million dollar sound systems at stadiums we should be able to hear all of the individual elements and enunciation", and that's all.

Where I don't think our song works is audience participation, there's no individual parts that stand out for us all to shout or whatever. It's sort of lets all try and clap along at the pace of the song, and it dies once the instrumental bit comes in.
Ooh ooh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back