Club Theme Songs Re-Done

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep spot on. The whole exercise seems pointless. I would sort of got it if they sounded totally different (it still would have sucked) but at least it would be an attempt to modernise the songs (as much as I'd hate that to happen).

Oh and extra kudos for mentioning the Football Song - perhaps the greatest b-side of all time.

That song brings back so many memories, especially the lyrics, of toddling off to North Hobart as a kid with nan and aunty to sit in the big main stand with the red roof and clock on top on one of those dreary, freezing winter's days to watch the footy with the big crowd in.
Can still smell the hot soup, pies/pasties, cigar smoke in the chilly air sitting under the blanket, roaring our team home, getting stuck into the umpires and the opposition.
Great memory!

They have somehow made our song worse. Atleast the old version had a bit of passion and extra bass to make it sound a bit better even though the lyrics have always been ordinary.

OMG why... Just when I get excited about the season starting up again lol

As a neutral I really liked some of the games for the spectacle and the icing on the cake was when someone with a kickass club song (usually Victorian sides) played at the end... Yeah you can argue AT the game most fans won't notice/care.. But this is a TV consideration how they mix in the club songs to the broadcast.

Geelong's sounds worse now because of the "2nd chorus".
Sydney's bango playing is really dodge in the solo lol The flow of it is lost.

In general all the ol' timey ones sound more bland now... except maybe the Carlton one came out sounding similar enough to me.

The bass in all of these isn't as pronounced and sounds not much further than midi quality... that's bad because in some the bass/double bass is the best part of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread is hilarious, lots of knee-jerk rage and fury about something most people won't even notice, let alone care about. All we know is that there were new songs done, and some clubs may or may not play them at some point

This thread is hilarious, lots of knee-jerk rage and fury about something most people won't even notice, let alone care about. All we know is that there were new songs done, and some clubs may or may not play them at some point

what's your favourite album?

Now let's get Milli Vanilli to do the Vocals on it and remove the original.

No surprise that a franchise club supporter has absolutely no understanding of what it feels like to support a club with tradition.

I remember being a small child and going to the Footy with my Dad, and hearing the boldness and manliness of the original timeless version of our song blasting through the speakers at the MCG.

Now? It’s a schoolboy dance club version done on keyboards, sounds weak, no passion, and doesn’t stir me like the original.

It’s genuine outrage, not the fake SJW outrage we all try to ignore.

No surprise that a franchise club supporter has absolutely no understanding of what it feels like to support a club with tradition.

I remember being a small child and going to the Footy with my Dad, and hearing the boldness and manliness of the original timeless version of our song blasting through the speakers at the MCG.

Now? It’s a schoolboy dance club version done on keyboards, sounds weak, no passion, and doesn’t stir me like the original.

It’s genuine outrage, not the fake SJW outrage we all try to ignore.
That has all the hallmarks of faux outrage, ad hominen attacks, not knowing all the facts, knee-jerk reaction, and a bizarre reference to 'SJW' thrown in for good measure.

My thoughts exactly.

These all sound like rip off versions that you could buy as your ring tone in the early 2000's

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a BS excuse purely so the AFL get royalties and ownership of the club songs
Abc reported yesterday it was to do with the licensing expiring on the old tunes

Abc reported yesterday it was to do with the licensing expiring on the old tunes
Doesn't track.. The "old ones" were done decades before all the newer club versions and usually copyright lasts 50 years not 40 odd... And there have been newer renditions from the newer clubs along the way.

I think the suspicion this was a move to consolidate royalties and power to the AFL over licensing for all club songs in one smash, is a more realistic narrative to buy into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back