News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

The best team that was recruited and developed
Teague has had a run of it , the run on goals is hurt factor against since he took over

do it remember his debut coaching game against the lions , what the score was before crippa went berserk !!
Abs the other hurt factor against Teague from the hawks game last year , where they beats us x we have hardly won a game and wins include gc twice and freo twice

and that’s the nail in the coffin

Didn't understand a word you said and if I did it had nothing to do with my post

Did you also say the Hawks beat the Swans?

We all know what happened for those teams the following year after their external reviews...

At the start of the year I was confidant that the Bombers would clearly take the mantel for the worst team of the quarter century. No, the blues are going to rollick it in. Having a mid season public review of the football department with Clown's like Pavlich. The senior/board culture and attitude is rubbish and continues to drive a once prosperous club into mediocrity. At best a review is going to point out where the club is falling behind other leading clubs. Football is a development league similar to formular one. Teams will never win a championship by copying the competitors car from last year.

Carlton needs to innovate, they need to do R&D to take the lead and go past other top clubs. Nothing was more moronic that appointing a crusty old Mick Malthouse with a chip on his shoulder about getting booted from the Pies. All Malthouse brought were outdated tactics which worked years before. They appointed Bolton because he was the closes thing they could get to Clarkson. Teague is at least a Carlton man.

What the club needs is some innovation to support Teague and give him some advantages over other teams.
The club failed to understand the concept of the draft and adapt. Elliott whined about it endlessly, and after the club was castrated by the AFL for Elliot's salary cap breaches. We struggled to develop and move on. Pagan did the best he could under the circumstances and was sacrificed. We went after Judd to be the saviour, and to a point he was, but he could not do it on his own. Our drafting has been deplorable and reactive and I am not talking about top 10-20 selections. A lot of clubs managed to pick up very good players at picks 30-50. We have consistently missed the boat in this area. Is it luck, or do our recruiters just not have the eye to identify talent that other recruiters possess?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a saying in politics along the lines of 'Never start a Royal Commission unless you know the outcome'. This doesn't mean they aren't independent, but there is already an idea of outcome. Hence the inquiry.

When it comes to CFC review I would guess there are 'expected outcomes', but there will also be 'independent recommendations'. Otherwise those attaching their names to an 'independent review' would have their reputations tarnished.

I am comfortable with this review, but see it also something as a circuit breaker for some change management. Barker is gone. There will probably be some other staff changes. And there will probably be some restructuring of some sort.

Just my guess...

Completely agree.
It's like one of those juicy PS jobs you see advertised - the positioned is already filled (unless an unexpected Einstein or Gates applies) but has to be opened to the public because of 'policy' to make it a 'level playing field'.
They've thrown it out there to the public, like a dry bone to a starving dog, in an attempt to appease the members. There is no other reason to bring forward to midterm other than that... I think the board is out of answers.

Alright, i'm going to back away from the my statement that Carlton has been the worst team in the last 25 years. Those first 5 years Carlton were still competitive with a team pumped up with salary cap dodging overpayment players. So to keep my argument rock solid:
CARLTON ARE THE WORST CLUB IN THE LAST 20 YEARS.

we all love the club and want it to succeed and I wish you hadn't make me do this... but here is the Midseason Review

20 years: 2002-2021

for the purpose of quantifying the blitheringly obvious I have allocated the following shitness points:
Wooden spoons: -30
finals:+5
finals wins:+10
Prelims:+10
Grand finals:+10
Cup:+200

it turns out that Carlton have been worse than even Fitzroy

Carlton -105
suns -60
melbourne 35
essendon 55
Giants 105
North 160
Saints 225
Dogs 410
We have become the arsenal of the Afl!! We believe Because of our history , it Should automatically happen for us and that all our players are supposedly guns !!
When tigers reign has been all based on game plan , and a complete buy in from the President to the bootstudder

and unfortunately that culture isn’t built overnight and hopefully this review starts to implement a foundation to success and all egos are left at the door

We have become the arsenal of the Afl!! We believe Because of our history , it Should automatically happen for us and that all our players are supposedly guns !!
When tigers reign has been all based on game plan , and a complete buy in from the President to the bootstudder

and unfortunately that culture isn’t built overnight and hopefully this review starts to implement a foundation to success and all egos are left at the door

The buy in at the Tigers from 2016 to 2017, 6 months?

The buy in at the Tigers from 2016 to 2017, 6 months?
The buy-in was already there, that's why they went from being 'Ninth-mond' to playing finals from 2013-2015. They just needed a bit more tinkering. Richmond's 2016 season was probably their equivalent of Geelong's 2006. Much expectation, but little delivery.

Last edited:
The buy-in was already there, that's why they went from being 'Premiershipmond' to playing finals from 2013-2015. They just needed a bit more tinkering. Richmond's 2016 season was probably their equivalent of Geelong's 2006. Much expectation, but little delivery.

And we know how quickly things can turn around

Owies has been such a pleasant surprise this season. If you average two goals a game as a small forward you’re in elite territory.

He doesn’t need to break records. Tackling and applying scoreboard pressure is more than enough with Fisher and Martin as the creators.
Owies is showing the benefit of being able to develop his craft over a period of time at VFL level, a luxury not afforded many of our youngsters over the last 5-6 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back