News Club to launch external review of football department!

Oct 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Out of interest, when a player has missed out on good development, can they get it back? For the purposes of my question, let’s say that the main thing wrong with Dow and O’Brien is lack of development. I know there is probably more going on, but let’s sheet it all home to development. If the club fixes up its development program, can these guys make it back up again? Or once you miss out on decent development, is it gone forever?

CarltonBlooz

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Out of interest, when a player has missed out on good development, can they get it back? For the purposes of my question, let’s say that the main thing wrong with Dow and O’Brien is lack of development. I know there is probably more going on, but let’s sheet it all home to development. If the club fixes up its development program, can these guys make it back up again? Or once you miss out on decent development, is it gone forever?

They can absolutely make it back 100%, been said before and I'll say it again, refuse to believe we picked the only spuds in that draft.

Development was poor before Power + O'keefe got the job back in 2020 then COVID hits, no VFL, crippling as * for the youngins.

We've been trying to fix it since then, but no VFL hurt last year and the intermittent stopping of this year certainly wouldn't be helping.

Hurts you in the beginning and would hurt their confidence, but they aren't going to be terrible in perpetuity.

Dow been showing some signs, still long way away, but better + LOB seems to be going ok in the VFL.

Personally I think we'd have to wait until at least 100 games, 24/25 to really make the call on DOW, LOB, SPS etc.

Not to mention incredibly dumb things like playing Dow at HFF etc certainly wouldn't have helped in the beginning.

teagueyubeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Somewhere there
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, Yankees
8 different coaches since our last premiership, but it can never be the players' fault that we can't consistently win games.

Yerp, players need to get down and dirty week in and week out and be physically and mentally exhausted each and every time they walk off the field.

Have a look at Walsh when he walks off, after a win or a loss. He’s completely ****ed, that’s the level some of these other Prima donnas need to get to because it doesn’t matter what game plan you have if you’re not giving it your all week in and week out especially when you don’t have the ball

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
It might be an unpopular belief, but I think game plans are a but overrated the way people speak about them.
Footballs fairly simple really, either zone up or go man on man in defence. When you have the ball use the best option and Play on quickly, protect your teammates, do the 1%s, run both ways and create space for forwards to lead into.

I think our main mistakes are team selection integrity and not playing players in the right positions. One of the footy podcasts suggested this week that perhaps the players have to much power atm, which affects team selection etc. Hope that is not the case. Also think we didn't recruit enough players with high footy IQ.

I think you're underestimating how much a good game plan influences "best option", "run both ways", "create space".
And definitely overestimating how simple it is to implement an effective zone.

Nov 14, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Those contract negotiations take months, you think they just hammer it out in half an arvo after the review was announced? Wut?

Liddle isn't on the ******* panel. It's been confirmed here multiple times. I think even Barass confirmed it. Jfc. Getting sick of reading sh*t doom and gloom about the review. It hasn't even happened yet. I think Sayers of all people knows how to set up an independent review. Jeeeeeeebuz
He is on the panel..

I am pleased to advise you that the following three panel members will conduct a holistic review of the entire football department. This panel will be led by incoming President Luke Sayers with the support of CEO Cain Liddle, and the final report with its recommendations will be delivered to the Carlton Football Club Board.

The three-member panel will be:

- Graham Lowe

- Geoff Walsh

- Matthew Pavlich

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
He is on the panel..

I am pleased to advise you that the following three panel members will conduct a holistic review of the entire football department. This panel will be led by incoming President Luke Sayers with the support of CEO Cain Liddle, and the final report with its recommendations will be delivered to the Carlton Football Club Board.

The three-member panel will be:

- Graham Lowe

- Geoff Walsh

- Matthew Pavlich
That quitel iterally says it's a 3 man panel without Liddle's name. It's a media message to say he supports the review. Baras confirmed he isn't on the ******* panel.

8 different coaches since our last premiership, but it can never be the players' fault that we can't consistently win games.

You know I'm not a fan of the tail wagging the dog MSR, but this one is starting to look like Mick Malthouse trying to teach a game play that doesn't play to our strengths and not having a Plan B until the last quarter when we just went back to attacking like we did under Ratten. Where is the freedom we had when Teague was the caretaker coach? That's why he got the job. That's why the players backed him in.

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
Those 2 have flaws that development can not overcome. Not Afl level footballers

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

I reckon you can.

Look at how far back Langford and Laverde were in 2019, and they were also first round picks.

We’ve lost a bit of time, but Dow and LOB can still come good. Might not be stars, but we have these anyway. A bit of tinkering with their roles and some continuity at senior level coupled with the confidence that naturally comes from playing in a winning team is crucial.

CarltonBlooz

Team Captain
Mar 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
I reckon you can.

Look at how far back Langford and Laverde were in 2019, and they were also first round picks.

We’ve lost a bit of time, but Dow and LOB can still come good. Might not be stars, but we have these anyway. A bit of tinkering with their roles and some continuity at senior level coupled with the confidence that naturally comes from playing in a winning team is crucial.

I could see Dow being A grade one day, LOB is still ?? but early days for them both, still standby 100 games/24, 25 year old metric to really see where they're at.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I could see Dow being A grade one day, LOB is still ?? but early days for them both, still standby 100 games/24, 25 year old metric to really see where they're at.

I’m sensing some of the pressure has been released with Dow. He’s got a bit more purpose with what he’s doing, and understands his role a bit better. Looks to handball first, which is one of his biggest assets. Still too tentative at times, but he’s building slowly.

LOB just needs game time in the 1sts. We are desperate for a winger, my worry is he’ll be overtaken by Ramsay or Carroll.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
Do our indigenous players prefer to ignore those who ignore racism?
Seriously, how can you make this about bloody racism? Are you one of those people who can find racism in anything & everything? Next you'll be claiming he hasn't reduced his carbon footprint enough. Get yourself a life. Walsh is reviewing the Footy Department. I'm happy that we have someone who knows a bit about success engaged in such a review. Particularly someone who was part of our footy club when we were successful.

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
Seriously, how can you make this about bloody racism? Are you one of those people who can find racism in anything & everything? Next you'll be claiming he hasn't reduced his carbon footprint enough. Get yourself a life. Walsh is reviewing the Footy Department. I'm happy that we have someone who knows a bit about success engaged in such a review. Particularly someone who was part of our footy club when we were successful.
It’s an art form, msr...

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
You know I'm not a fan of the tail wagging the dog MSR, but this one is starting to look like Mick Malthouse trying to teach a game play that doesn't play to our strengths and not having a Plan B until the last quarter when we just went back to attacking like we did under Ratten. Where is the freedom we had when Teague was the caretaker coach? That's why he got the job. That's why the players backed him in.
It would seem over the last decade it wouldn't matter what game plan was being taught, our list can't seem to adapt to it. I'm still seeing some of the bad habits I was seeing 7-8 years ago, yet we have gone from Malthouse to Bolts to Teague in that time.

It would seem over the last decade it wouldn't matter what game plan was being taught, our list can't seem to adapt to it. I'm still seeing some of the bad habits I was seeing 7-8 years ago, yet we have gone from Malthouse to Bolts to Teague in that time.

We seem to coach the confidence out of our players. How many remain from 8 years ago? It just keeps happening. Weird.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
We seem to coach the confidence out of our players. How many remain from 8 years ago? It just keeps happening. Weird.
I wish I could put my finger on how history keeps repeating itself despite turning over coaches, recruiters, CEOs, Footy Dept bosses etc. I get the feeling we are recruiting the wrong types over & over again. I think we might have gone overboard on the 'no dickheads' policy.

Ricky Mott

Team Captain
Jul 26, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s clear that the coaching staff have lost the players. David Teague’s appointment has set the club back many years. Not sure there’s a coach on that senior coaching panel that would get another job at another club. Other than Teague who played a handful of games for the club at a bleak time who are the full time Carlton people in our men’s football department? Plenty of the CEOs mates. The board has a lot to answer for allowing him to stick his mates into critical roles.

BlueTang

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I wish I could put my finger on how history keeps repeating itself despite turning over coaches, recruiters, CEOs, Footy Dept bosses etc. I get the feeling we are recruiting the wrong types over & over again. I think we might have gone overboard on the 'no dickheads' policy.
I work for a company that has a reputation for poor culture and high staff turnover - 33% a year (finance sector). Once the market gets an opinion it makes it really hard to attract good people to our organisation, we all so have a lot of long-term passengers who don't deliver a lot, But want to keep clipping a paycheck. It sounds similar to Carlton and probably explains a bit about the poor situation it continues to be in.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
I work for a company that has a reputation for poor culture and high staff turnover - 33% a year (finance sector). Once the market gets an opinion it makes it really hard to attract good people to our organisation, we all so have a lot of long-term passengers who don't deliver a lot, But want to keep clipping a paycheck. It sounds similar to Carlton and probably explains a bit about the poor situation it continues to be in.
AMP?

The Great Ian

Senior List
Sep 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
This season was a write off before it began. Forget about a sudden change of fortunes.

This is a result of the dishonesty in the football department and the acceptance of mediocrity over many years.

Until that is genuinely addressed by the review and changes made then we’ll remain down the bottom of the ladder.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back