News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

...and while I’m here, what the hell is Selection Integrity??

Is it like ‘Football Philosophy’....my personal favourite.👍
Picking players that i would have. :p

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Wasn't getting personal at all, when I say you, I mean everyone that isn't in the inner sanctum

Again, I have refuted it with facts, not opinion

But once again, why are you focusing on one assistant when I was replying to a collective

That's the reality

See Stamos' reply.

Again, what facts do you have that we would have been in a better situation? None

So just stop

Wait until you discover the concept of counterfactuals, it'll blow your mind.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Apologies but I can't find any mention of this amnesty that you mention. It seems that the cap was cut by well over $3mill towards the end of July 2020. By august1 we had to notify all assistant coaches as to what we were doing for 2021. Some like Rocca amongst others were let go.

My understanding is that if assistant coaches had contracts for 2021 they either had to be retained or paid out from the 2021 soft cap.

My search for soft cap amnesty/moratorium was far from exhaustive though so appreciate if you can post info showing details I would appreciate.

The AFL has ruled that any redundancy payments made by clubs this year to reduce staff in line with a reduced soft cap on footy spending next year – a consequence of the league's austerity measures as a COVID response – will not be included in the soft cap for 2021.

That has led to the farcical situation at some clubs where staff will be paid out their contracts for all of next year despite not working at the club. These are clubs that are financial enough to keep the staff on and would rather see them remain and work, but the AFL is insistent they get employees off the books.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Again, what facts do you have that we would have been in a better situation? None

So just stop

Facts:
1. We didn't bring in any new assistants over the last off-season
2. When a review into the Football Department was commissioned, John Barker offered his resignation, but wanted to see out the year.
3. The club told him to leave immediately.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Here it is again Stamos, try not to deflect and just debate this

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Why just mention Barker and not every single other assistant?

Not going to have another circular discussion again regarding this topic, so I will leave you with this example, as you or anyone else would not have a clue, so please stop posting like you are enlightening people

You work for a publically visible company, which is underperforming versus expectations and or industry competition, due to the strategy set by your boss

Should my conclusion be that you and the rest of the team are incompetent due to your length of tenure and or that you simply exist?

Stop posting like you think it's fact that we would be in a different position if we had replaced every assistant

In that situation you'd move companies, right?
Or are you happy to just collect a cheque and stay in the underperforming company where your hands are tied in regards to trying to make improvements?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it doesn't
How do you figure?

1627904851353.png

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Have you thought that the assistants weren't an issue and it is gameplan related?
Maybe the right assistants or football manager challenging might of forced a change instead of everyone happily going alone smiling -- or just the coach is not good enough .. how we would know

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe the right assistants or football manager challenging might of forced a change instead of everyone happily going alone smiling -- or just the coach is not good enough .. how we would know

Or maybe we didn't need a change of assistants and just needed a better gameplan. Maybe we over estimated our list, needing another year to build cohesion

Strangely though, we are a game outside the 8, where most thought we should/would be

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton

So just stop
Arrow can you clarify your view on the cause of the Carlton's underperformance because from what I can work out you think it is about 90% game plan and that anyone with the right game plan could draw it on a white board and Carlton would magically transition to a consistent finals team These elements appear to make little difference to your view: culture, headcoach, assistants, board and selection

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back