Roast Club Traitors: the new list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Jacobs - Bailed at our shittest, chucked a tanty when we didn’t like what we were offered, went to the draft. Ended up only playing 40 more games at North in 8 years than he did in 2 at Port

This is aside from the point, but would have had a stellar career at North if wasn't for injury. The bloke was arguably the best tagger in the league then suffered a head knock which gave him concussion-like symptoms for years afterwards.

Yep, people take it too personally.

I put together a list of all players who began their careers in/after 1995 and retired in/before 2015.

1,160 players fit that criteria. About 26% of them managed over 100 games, which is funny because I think a lot of people think of that as some sort of 'typical' career.

What's more interesting is that 340 of them (29%) only managed between 1-10 games in their career. Overall, the median games played for the above players is only 31. That's why I can't begrudge a player for taking an opposition offer for more years/money. I think we as fans get a warped view that most players are clocking up 100+ games, or even making a decent career out of football. AFL careers on average are relatively short, and even the players that do manage to sustain it over multiple years have their bodies give out in their early 30s. You've really only got one crack at playing footy professionally, so you may as well fleece the campaigners as much as you can.

View attachment 1096487

And this isn't even including players that never managed a game. So this chart would be even more skewed towards the 0-5 gamers. I'm sure a great number of draftees never see their debut.
Interesting you are more likely to play 221-230 games than 211-220.

Reckon there's anything in that?

Michael Tahlia
Western Bulldogs

Leaked game plan secrets to his brother Daniel on the eve of the 2015 finals series. The result was instantly noticeable and obvious to all. Amongst others, Jake Stringer’s changed role was nullified almost instantly drawing immediate question marks.

He later refuted it, accidentally losing his phone and all messages in the process. Scumbag of the highest order.

A real shame given the standing of his Grandfather, Harvey Stevens a 54’ Premiership player.

Last edited:
I thought the Bulldogs would have more vitriol for Cal Ward , no?
Speaking of Bulldog traitors, no mention of Nathan Brown's defection to Richmond?

With Carey, I remembered him getting nuclear heat in his match against the Roos down at Docklands stadium

Speaking of Bulldog traitors, no mention of Nathan Brown's defection to Richmond?

With Carey, I remembered him getting nuclear heat in his match against the Roos down at Docklands stadium
Nah Ward left for money, but didn't really do anything malicious to the club (from memory). Not on the levels of Griffin and Talia

I don't begrudge Ablett taking the godfather Suns deal. Colbert another obvious one, but I think the Colbert side of that story is that he was being undermined, Kim Hughes-style by people who resented that he got the nod as captain.

Ablett was a gun with GC until he popped his shoulder, but I wish he stayed with the Cats and they invested in someone else. He wasn't a good captain and isn't really cut out to be a 'franchise player' despite being the best player in the comp for a number of years. Frankin is the star of the show in Sydney, but he's not expected to be the leader of 40 blokes and spokesman for the club because that's not him.

Judd was also WC captain when he left for Carlton. We did OK out of it in the end but he paraded himself around like a poodle before he chose where he wanted to go.

Nah Ward left for money, but didn't really do anything malicious to the club (from memory). Not on the levels of Griffin and Talia

Ward was happy to stay for much less than GWS offered IIRC. Can't really begrudge a guy in his position being offered the opportunity to be a highly paid young leader of a new team. Comes across as a pretty likable dude too.

Dees fans have been squealing like stuck pigs about Scully for years but they ended up with two first round picks out of him, Viney as an iffy father son pick in the 20s and then a dubious pick 3 for Frawley so it's not like AFL never looked after them.

Ward was happy to stay for much less than GWS offered IIRC. Can't really begrudge a guy in his position being offered the opportunity to be a highly paid young leader of a new team. Comes across as a pretty likable dude too.

Dees fans have been squealing like stuck pigs about Scully for years but they ended up with two first round picks out of him, Viney as an iffy father son pick in the 20s and then a dubious pick 3 for Frawley so it's not like AFL never looked after them.

we cocked up negotiations with Ward, we had the chance to do the deal before GWS came calling - poor management on our part as much as anything !

Was absolutely heartbreaking losing Cal Ward but most understood why he had to leave. He was a likely future captain and represented an exciting future.

What hurt more though was the pathetic compensation we received from the AFL, especially in comparison to the “touted” but far less performed Scully. In hindsight, dogs fans were absolutely correct in their anger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

23 games in his first two seasons after being selected in the Rookie Draft is pretty decent. Keep guessing though.

Kept Buddy goalless. You dont think Clarko paid attention ?

Also went after Lake who could keep Buddy goalless. Hawks were after him for many years.

And went after Frawley who could keep Buddy scoreless.

See the trend ?

I don't think Aaron Hamill will ever be welcomed back into Carlton ciricles.

Took enormous money for years doing absolutely nothing, then bailed when as soon as it come time to actually earn it.
I’ve played this prior to his move, he was bragging at a dinner party I was at about how he’d just take a gig in the media if he couldn’t find a way out of Melbourne. I’d be salty too.

Judd for walking when he was Captain and the club was in the strife. ******* hurt at the time but time and JK heals all wounds. Inducted into the club HOF a few weeks back.

Daniel Chick for participating in tipping a tabloid bucket of s**t on the club on the eve of the 2015 final was a pretty low act....but again, bridges have since been mended.

Scott Lycett for...nah just kidding, he’s still a legend - UP THE FKNG COASTERS!

For us it's hard to go past Gaz.

Had the whole club built around him from day dot and rather than using his experience to help our young guns learn and establish a solid foundation for the club we instead become the Gaz and friends bible bootcamp.

Then once the media circle jerk starts to die down he loses his smile, sits out the next 3 seasons and pisses off back home, leaving a broken club in his wake.

Jack Gunston was given the most promising player award at Adelaide then stripped of it when he requested a move to Hawthorn.

Aiden Corr was also banished from club functions last year after requesting to leave wasn't he?

These are seemingly times where the club cared far more than the supporter base however.

Jack Gunston was given the most promising player award at Adelaide then stripped of it when he requested a move to Hawthorn.

Aiden Corr was also banished from club functions last year after requesting to leave wasn't he?

These are seemingly times where the club cared far more than the supporter base however.

I thought Gunston would come up, that one really seemed to irritate Adelaide.

Fair play to the Crows, they've been hit as hard as anyone from the traditional Aussie Rules states in terms of losing players (Gunston, Dangerfield, Bock, Tippett, Davis, I guess Crouch doesn't really count but I'm sure I've missed a few), but until the last couple of years, they just seemed to move on and remain competitive.

Dayne Beams shafted two clubs three times.
Shafted the Pies when he moved to Brisbane, and shafted both of them when he moved back.
Gotta be top ten.

Mitch "Bitch" Clark :thumbsu:

Ripped him out of whatever club it was by getting his partner a nice cushy job in her chosen industry.
Looked great the twelve minutes he was on the field, but stubbed his toe and spent a year getting a nice paycheck and free mental health care from the Dees, whole time saying "I'll be back!" Terminator 2 style.

Lying prick.

Officially the first player to pull the "mental health" card to get to another club. As innovative a traitor as you'll find.

GTFO Mitch!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back