Opinion Club under the most pressure in 2022?

Which club is under the most pressure in 2022?

• Brisbane

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Carlton

Votes: 86 33.5%
  • Geelong

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 27 10.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Port

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Other (Please state who and why)

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Pretty simple, which club is under the most pressure to perform in 2022?

Have excluded clubs in early years of their rebuild, clubs deemed to have ‘over achieved’ in 2022 (Although kept GWS in due to Cameron’s tenure lasting so long) and the two grand finalists as neither were expected to even make the GF pre-2021.

For my vote I’ve gone with St Kilda. I do have them making finals but with the way they’ve imported a significant amount of mature talent they really need to be competing for a flag to justify it.

Saints, Port, Brisbane, Geelong imo, honorable mention to Carlton as well.

Saints need to make finals, and not just scrape in on percentage, imo they need to be a guaranteed finalist before going into the final round

Port and Brisbane both need to take the next step. They need to make the granny, no more prelim losses. No more excuses.

Geelong have one last hurrah in them before it's over you'd think.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

The list is a long one, i went with Port followed by the Lions, Cats and Tigers. Port have fallen at the Preliminary hurdle for the past two years and the Lions went out in straight sets last season and have lost two home finals in two years, it's a toss up who is under more pressure this year. Geelong had better start blooding some new players and give game time to those who were already there in 2021. With Mrs Hardwick gone and the Tigers falling out of the 8, they now have to contend with a "Dusty" comeback? He's worth four goals a game, can he have the same impact as before?

Port and Geelong, simply because they want to take the next step and win a premiership. Prelims and GFs not enough anymore. Personally, I'd love it if my team made a prelim, or even had a sniff of one.

Port comfortably
Their fans are irrationally feral in regards to Hinkley
What do they expect from a man who is a loser? Wasn’t alive then but the simple fact is he was in a squad that was full of 4 time grand final losers. Becoming a premiership winning assistant under Bomber Thompson doesn’t change the fact he comes from the loser culture before that.

I was lucky seeing 3 flags as a teenager. But we Geelong have gone back to being losers. 2011-2020 was no different to the 60’s where we also won a flag and pretty much made finals every year. Hinkley and Scotty should win this poll quite easily even though the GWS coach is arguably the only one worse.

Pressure Rating

Adelaide 2/10 - Very young side nobody expects too much, Still rebuilding.

Brisbane
6/10 - Have been there abouts for a while, People expect more from them, They are still quite young though.

Carlton
8/10 - Under a fair bit of pressure mostly due to their own expectations, Promises and continuous sackings of coaches. Really have to make the 8 but may take some time the gel with a new coach.

Collingwood 4/10 - Under a little bit of pressure simply because of all the negative press surrounding them of late, Would be eager to turn a corner and start rebuilding their culture. Wouldn't think anyone expects much next year.

Essendon
5/10 - Last year exceeded most peoples expectations, I think most people expect Essendon to take a slight dip this year, As long as they don't finish too far down the bottom. Although if we don't improve the year after we will be under a bit of pressure again, That finals drought number keeps growing.

Dockers
6/10 - Were rather close a few years ago and then s**t the bed with their awful drafting/trades unsure what to make of them atm.

Geelong
8/10 - Their list has done very well over the years but their refusal to blood youth and to keep going all in this really might actually be their last genuine attempt.

Gold Coast
8/10 - They really need to start showing improvement, Although young, People are fed up.

GWS Giants
6/10 - Need to prove themselves have been quite competitive for a while people expect results.

Hawthorn
3/10 - Tiny bit of pressure simply from sacking arguable the best coach in the league.

Melbourne
6/10 - They tasted ultimate glory which takes off a bit of pressure but also adds it's own kind of pressure, Can they back it up?

North Melbourne 3/10 - I don't expect a whole lot yet from NM the future looks bright IMO but no doubt NM fans want to see some progress.

Port Adelaide
7/10 - Need to show results in finals.

Richmond
6/10 - I honestly don't think they are under much pressure but the general vibe I get are people expect more than last year and aren't ready to accept a slide from them yet, Need to compete.

St Kilda
7/10 - Up, Down, Up, Down Very frustrated confused fans, Need to make their mark this year or rebuild

Sydney 4/10 - Had a very good, Surprising year last year which puts them under pressure to back it up again.

West Coast 6/10 - Disappointing year last year, Really need to show a fair bit this year or might be time to think about rebuilding.

Doggies 5/10 - I don't think they should be under much pressure but losing the GF in the manner they did leaves you with something to prove.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong for me. Their recruitment strategy has really been all or nothing, and they are going to spend a long long time down the bottom of the ladder when they hit the wall. If they don't snag a premiership before hitting that wall then it is going to make their long time at the bottom getting smashed every week even worse.

How is it irrational?
In a half glass empty and half glass full way.

But Hinkley has been your coach since 2013. Made finals in 2013-4.

Then you had that 2015-19 period. I could understand why port were frustrated in that period. Only an elimination final in 2017 to look back on. They should of made finals in each year from 2015-19.

Hinkley could of been sacked at the end of 2016 or 2019 and you can make a case for either chance.

Some port fans wanted Hinkley sacked after that home preliminary final loss in 2021.

It's like a similar scenario of crows fans wanting to sack Neil Craig after that narrow 2006 preliminary final loss

I considered Port but I feel Hinkley is going to walk if they don’t make a GF next year.

Nah, Hinkley isn't walking. He's got it pretty cosy with Ports top brass, and all they want is for him to make finals.

Definitely us. Time for a change if hinkley doesn't win this year.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back