Opinion Club under the most pressure in 2022?

Which club is under the most pressure in 2022?

• Brisbane

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Carlton

Votes: 86 33.5%
  • Geelong

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 27 10.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Port

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Other (Please state who and why)

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand it either. Do I think you have a well built list no but defensively you're much better your midfield has more depth and your forward line is better. Injury was your big killer this year. I can easily see you in that 6-10 bracket
Personally I'm happy to stay under the radar. I have the Saints in that 7-10 bracket. I'm not complaining many have tipped us for a fall, but I don't see it. Certainly far greater expectation on the Blues , rightly or wrongly. The gifted draw has of course only raised that expectation for 2022.

Personally I'm happy to stay under the radar. I have the Saints in that 7-10 bracket. I'm not complaining many have tipped us for a fall, but I don't see it. Certainly far greater expectation on the Blues , rightly or wrongly. The gifted draw has of course only raised that expectation for 2022.
Spot on you were only 1 win and % away this year and that was with 2 absolute choke jobs against Adelaide and Sydney and then kicking yourself out of it against Geelong.

Strange how many are voting Carlton. Sure they have talent and should be hoping for finals, but given the team will be adjusting to a new coach and gameplan I doubt there'll be too much pressure on them.
There should be pressure on them, given it was clear Teague was getting axed when finals became improbable. That's the benchmark they've set and if they fail to reach it after sacking their coach then heads should roll.

There should be pressure on them, given it was clear Teague was getting axed when finals became improbable. That's the benchmark they've set and if they fail to reach it after sacking their coach then heads should roll.
Well Voss will be their 5th senior coach since 2013 so I don't think his head will roll. But there is a lot of presure on him because of the heightened expectation . The new coaches at Collingwood and Hawthorn haven't got this expectation and scrutiny. He has coached before - suppose that that gives him a little less breathing space.

Well Voss will be their 5th senior coach since 2013 so I don't think his head will roll. But there is a lot of presure on him because of the heightened expectation . The new coaches at Collingwood and Hawthorn haven't got this expectation and scrutiny. He has coached before - suppose that that gives him a little less breathing space.
McRae and Mitchell don't have the same level of expectation because they are first year coaches taking over sides rebuilding after grand finals and premierships and are replacing long-term coaches.

Voss is taking over from a guy who wasn't even given a full 23-round season.

McRae and Mitchell don't have the same level of expectation because they are first year coaches taking over sides rebuilding after grand finals and premierships and are replacing long-term coaches.

Teague coached for 2 and a half years and his performance declined over that whole time.

Voss will be given leeway in 2022 as the team adjusts, but 2023 is when there'll be real pressure to meet expectations of finals.

Teague coached for 2 and a half years and his performance declined over that whole time.

Voss will be given leeway in 2022 as the team adjusts, but 2023 is when there'll be real pressure to meet expectations of finals.
Excuses excuses.

Teague was a caretaker coach before his appointment as the senior coach; his first season in this capacity was the shortened COVID-impacted 2020, and he was as good as gone well before the 2021 season ended.

His performance declining was hardly a surprise given the board was chasing Clarkson in the background. Reminds me a little of Ratts being given the arse because Malthouse finished up at the Pies.

Anybody who reckons Teague deserved more time hasn’t watch enough Carlton to make a call. Tactically inept coach and was totally out of his depth

Teague is a nice guy, but should never been hired in the first place. Huge impulse buy by the club after a few sugar hit wins papered over what was a pretty poor season up until then.

Probably would have kept his job if he had of at least beaten North Melbourne, Gold Coast and West Coast's WAFL team. Watching him have no answer to being dominated by the wooden spooners was a bitter pill to swallow.

Anybody who reckons Teague deserved more time hasn’t watch enough Carlton to make a call. Tactically inept coach and was totally out of his depth
A few probably thought that about Goodwin and Hardwick too.

Leading up to the bye this year their biggest loss was to the eventual premiership champions by only 26 points. That's pretty good considering how poor their list.

Excuses excuses.

Teague was a caretaker coach before his appointment as the senior coach; his first season in this capacity was the shortened COVID-impacted 2020, and he was as good as gone well before the 2021 season ended.

His performance declining was hardly a surprise given the board was chasing Clarkson in the background. Reminds me a little of Ratts being given the arse because Malthouse finished up at the Pies.

Or was his performance declining a result of him just plain sucking at coaching? It's not as though the Blues were any better or worse at the start or conclusion of the season. We'd beat average teams, lose to get teams and occasionally get done by rebuilding sides like North, Collingwood and Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few probably thought that about Goodwin and Hardwick too.

Leading up to the bye this year their biggest loss was to the eventual premiership champions by only 26 points. That's pretty good considering how poor their list.

Melbourne also got done by Adelaide and Hawthorn during the season - 'only' losing to the eventual premiers is hardly a glowing endorsement.

Hardwick and Goodwin at least had credits in the bank with finals appearances, Teague's W/L record declined every year he coached, he could put together the most defensive structure, and in his final season the team couldn't even score (the only thing he actually cared about) with any fluidity such was his abortion of a gameplan.

He was a rubbish senior coach.

He was a rubbish senior coach.
Harsh to judge him on 2020 given COVID, and whose to say how many wins you would have ended up with if the board weren't openly courting other senior coaches to replace him.

Personally I think the issue is your players (no offence).

Also Adelaide (1 point from a dodgy free) and Hawthorn (a draw) is hardly getting done. OTOH Collingwood mauled us hey.

Harsh to judge him on 2020 given COVID, and whose to say how many wins you would have ended up with if the board weren't openly courting other senior coaches to replace him.

Personally I think the issue is your players (no offence).

Also Adelaide (1 point from a dodgy free) and Hawthorn (a draw) is hardly getting done. OTOH Collingwood mauled us hey.

You tell me? As I said his coaching performance was consistently bad. If he couldn't handle the pressure of being an AFL coach and didn't realise he wasn't going to continue on as senior coach if he couldn't produce wins he shouldn't have taken the role in the first place.

I just mean you lost those games, that's all - you're talking up Teague's 26 point losing performance yet lost to lower teams in the ladder.

It'd be 10 years without a flag under the one coach. Has a coach that hasn't won a flag previously ever been given that long without a flag to show?
Buckley. Least he was close though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It'd be 10 years without a flag under the one coach. Has a coach that hasn't won a flag previously ever been given that long without a flag to show?

Malthouse had won a flag in his 11th year at Collingwood.
Won 2 previously at West Coast though
Buckley had 10 years for no flag

Sheedy’s biggest gap 8 years. Clarkson only got 6. Would like to see the stats on 10 completed seasons as coach for no Premiership, wouldn’t be many.

Playing your mob twice in Melbourne didn’t help but you are right and there is a lot of internal pressure after the blueprint for 2025 came out last week.

I think the issue is more about S&C and injury management than coaching There’s no doubt JL can coach but these player availability issues have been ridiculous for several years now.
I don’t think it’s Carlton’s fault they didn’t improve. The last 4 are all Carlton wins, 2 in Melbourne, 2 in Perth

By next year Horse will have had 10 years since the 2012 Premiership.

He is contracted to 2023 I think. I suspect he will move on.

Few predicted our rise last season, least of all me. Having cool headed strategists like Pyke and McVeigh helped with the implementation of a decent enough game plan. The loss of Dawson and Hewett dampens my expectations as well as our reliance on output from kids and the health of the AFL's biggest and most enthusiastic kid in Buddy.

There will be some pressure to sustain the rise.

For me Carlton are under the most pressure to at minimum near making Finals. The continued bloodletting at the Blues is rivalled only by the French Revolution or American imperialism. Pressure to perform is high every year but it is at fever pitch entering 2022.

The sacking of SOS will prove the most justified when people look back at the Club in a few years. The list he built via draft and trades is fundamentally flawed and it will take astute management to fix. Every Club needs luck with injury and list depth. Carlton are toddlers' pool depth.

After Carlton, Geelong is the Club under the most pressure not just to win Finals. I think their H&A will slip in 2022 and they risk missing Finals.

Geelong for sure. As evidenced by their recruitment of Cameron. They are all in and gave up their future for it. They could’ve had Finn Callaghan/top 3 pick.

Pressure Rating

Adelaide 2/10 - Very young side nobody expects too much, Still rebuilding.

Brisbane
6/10 - Have been there abouts for a while, People expect more from them, They are still quite young though.

Carlton
8/10 - Under a fair bit of pressure mostly due to their own expectations, Promises and continuous sackings of coaches. Really have to make the 8 but may take some time the gel with a new coach.

Collingwood 4/10 - Under a little bit of pressure simply because of all the negative press surrounding them of late, Would be eager to turn a corner and start rebuilding their culture. Wouldn't think anyone expects much next year.

Essendon
5/10 - Last year exceeded most peoples expectations, I think most people expect Essendon to take a slight dip this year, As long as they don't finish too far down the bottom. Although if we don't improve the year after we will be under a bit of pressure again, That finals drought number keeps growing.

Dockers
6/10 - Were rather close a few years ago and then sh*t the bed with their awful drafting/trades unsure what to make of them atm.

Geelong
8/10 - Their list has done very well over the years but their refusal to blood youth and to keep going all in this really might actually be their last genuine attempt.

Gold Coast
8/10 - They really need to start showing improvement, Although young, People are fed up.

GWS Giants
6/10 - Need to prove themselves have been quite competitive for a while people expect results.

Hawthorn
3/10 - Tiny bit of pressure simply from sacking arguable the best coach in the league.

Melbourne
6/10 - They tasted ultimate glory which takes off a bit of pressure but also adds it's own kind of pressure, Can they back it up?

North Melbourne 3/10 - I don't expect a whole lot yet from NM the future looks bright IMO but no doubt NM fans want to see some progress.

Port Adelaide
7/10 - Need to show results in finals.

Richmond
6/10 - I honestly don't think they are under much pressure but the general vibe I get are people expect more than last year and aren't ready to accept a slide from them yet, Need to compete.

St Kilda
7/10 - Up, Down, Up, Down Very frustrated confused fans, Need to make their mark this year or rebuild

Sydney 4/10 - Had a very good, Surprising year last year which puts them under pressure to back it up again.

West Coast 6/10 - Disappointing year last year, Really need to show a fair bit this year or might be time to think about rebuilding.

Doggies 5/10 - I don't think they should be under much pressure but losing the GF in the manner they did leaves you with something to prove.
Agree with this summary but IMO would change the following:

GWS - 8/10 have had enough help and talent to be top 4 most years but have shat the bed regularly.

Melbourne- 8/10 nothing worse than a soft hangover year for a premiership team , the cup loses its shine quickly if they don’t come up with the goods

Back