Opinion Club under the most pressure in 2022?

Which club is under the most pressure in 2022?

• Brisbane

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Carlton

Votes: 86 33.5%
  • Geelong

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 27 10.5%
  • GWS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Port

Votes: 48 18.7%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Other (Please state who and why)

Votes: 11 4.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Made an elite St Kilda list play dour, boring footy
Just a bounce of the ball away from a flag against the Pies, and if not for a few easy misses in the last that St Kilda list would triumphed over one of the greatest teams I've ever seen. And there's no shame in losing to the Hawks either.

Ross got a hell of a lot closer to the ultimate success than my friend Michael, whose spent a lifetime in the coaching ranks of a Port Adelaide side that's achieved even less than either of the two clubs The Big Boss Ross coached.

He might be a pus human but there's a reason the Blues were chasing after him.

Last edited:
Just a bounce of the ball away from a flag against the Pies, and if not for a few easy misses in the last that elite St Kilda list would triumphed over one of the greatest teams I've ever seen. And there's no shame in losing to the Hawks either.

Ross got a hell of a lot closer to the ultimate success than my friend Michael, whose spent a lifetime in the coaching ranks of a Port Adelaide side that's achieved even less than either of the two clubs The Big Boss Ross coached.

He might be a pus human but there's a reason the Blues were chasing after him.

He's a confirmed 4x Grand Final loser who also sexually harasses female members of staff.

Not the kind of energy you want around the club, and the worst possible role model for a group of young men trying to take the next step professionally and developing into well rounded, respectful adults.

Ross Lyon would have been a very bad choice of senior coach.

I would say Carlton and Port Adelaide. The expectations on Carlton are immense. The Blues may get away with it if they only progress a short way and just miss the finals, but fall backwards and I don't think it will be well received.

Of teams already in the finals, Port Adelaide's terrible performance in the Preliminary Final against the Bulldogs earned the club much negative publicity and put them under great pressure for 2022. Another poor finals exit or falling out of the finals will be a disaster for Port.

I would say Carlton and Port Adelaide. The expectations on Carlton are immense. The Blues may get away with it if they only progress a short way and just miss the finals, but fall backwards and I don't think it will be well received.

Of teams already in the finals, Port Adelaide's terrible performance in the Preliminary Final against the Bulldogs earned the club much negative publicity and put them under great pressure for 2022. Another poor finals exit or falling out of the finals will be a disaster for Port.

Of the finals teams last year I'd say Port. People already expect Geelong to fall now, whereas Port have done very little to justify Hinkley having been around so long IMO.

Carlton because they are due. Port because they have been up there a while now and nothing. A bit like the leadup to their last flag really. Saints because they need to prove whether they are coming or going. GWS because they have been up there playing finals with a high quality list and doing very little for a long time now.

Expectations of Geelong and GCS seem low.

Brisbane under moderate pressure but I feel because they are young that they have time.

I would say Melbourne believe or not

They have got a great list and an outstanding side - Premierships are the name of the game - and Melb have to capitalise and win 2 or 3 or even 4 flags - have a golden era

Pt Adel and Geel - the boat has sailed and are both miles off a premiership

The only team i give a flukers hope to - is Rich - they could rebound hard - but that could go the other way as well

If i was a Dees supporter - the next 3-4 years - i want to be finishing top 4 - or better still Top 2 - home final - and keep winning flag after flag

Gold Coast , they need to start showing some improvement as a CLUB or it’s starting to look like an unsolvable problem

Their academy system has been very disappointing, where the hell are their young GC born up and comers

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

He's a confirmed 4x Grand Final loser who also sexually harasses female members of staff.

Not the kind of energy you want around the club, and the worst possible role model for a group of young men trying to take the next step professionally and developing into well rounded, respectful adults.

Ross Lyon would have been a very bad choice of senior coach.

What a sad characterisation of any coach.
4 times he's been there when 16 other coaches have done their clubs exit interviews & that tells you nothing. How do you rate those 16, duds eh?

Clubs/players are there to win flags not make up the numbers of well rounded, respectful 'would be' adults & there are 100s of Lyon coached players that fit into that category. Are you really looking at the failures to build your footy club ?

A coach is not the only influence on kids growing into young adults.

Gold Coast , they need to start showing some improvement as a CLUB or it’s starting to look like an unsolvable problem

Their academy system has been very disappointing, where the hell are their young GC born up and comers

Have a look at how the AFL administration use them, in 2022 they play home games in NT, they were used for games in China.
Its a developing State, not heartland - like Sydney, it takes time & its a bumpy ride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a sad characterisation of any coach.
4 times he's been there when 16 other coaches have done their clubs exit interviews & that tells you nothing. How do you rate those 16, duds eh?

Clubs/players are there to win flags not make up the numbers of well rounded, respectful 'would be' adults & there are 100s of Lyon coached players that fit into that category. Are you really looking at the failures to build your footy club ?

A coach is not the only influence on kids growing into young adults.

Exactly why we don't want Ross the Boss - he's a consistent loser with overwrought gameplan that has arguably cost the Saints at least one flag. It makes averages sides with average lists punch up (Freo) and sides with good lists punch down (St Kilda).

A coach is a major influence on a player and the way they conduct themselves speaks volumes about the kind of person they are; and players model their behaviours on what they see from their coach. Ross might have got the best out of a number of players, but there are plenty of coaches just as capable who don't also have a track record of targeting vulnerable employees of the organisation.

He's a snake oil salesman.

He's a polarising figure Mr Lyon isn't he ?? His 'body of work' as he would say. 13 seasons winning rate of just on 58%. The bloke who got the gig running under 40%. I must admit, I'm not quite sure where I rate him . Certainly has a fair coaching record without quite getting the chocolates.

Have a look at how the AFL administration use them, in 2022 they play home games in NT, they were used for games in China.
Its a developing State, not heartland - like Sydney, it takes time & its a bumpy ride.

A lot of folks tipping them for the spoon , I’m not looking for miracles just they need to avoid that happening and kept moving fwd. Running out of excuses IMO

Then selecting a coach is a doddle. Must be something else about those clubs that cant make it to a GF. When losing a GF is failure .... there are lots of them to choose from, failures eh :rolleyes: ....

Ross is a good coach, is he a great coach? I don't think so. He was in the right place in the right time when he inherited the St Kilda squad and the got hold of Freo when they were on the rise and had built a handy list of players which needed someone to come in and take the next step.

Reckon there would have been plenty of good coaches who also could have taken the Saints as far as he did and likely many who would have gone one step further.

He then did as well as anyone could have hoped at Fremantle but also left them in a state of disrepair very quickly.

I just don't have the same veneration for the guy as most, and that's putting aside him being a s**t human being.

Easily Hawthorn to keep its average of winning a premiership every 4.6 years since 1961.
👌 No, they have some lean years ahead and Mitchell I believe will be given ample time . A real turnaround from the club , about where things sit.

Ross is a good coach, is he a great coach? I don't think so. He was in the right place in the right time when he inherited the St Kilda squad and the got hold of Freo when they were on the rise and had built a handy list of players which needed someone to come in and take the next step.

Reckon there would have been plenty of good coaches who also could have taken the Saints as far as he did and likely many who would have gone one step further.

He then did as well as anyone could have hoped at Fremantle but also left them in a state of disrepair very quickly.

I just don't have the same veneration for the guy as most, and that's putting aside him being a sh*t human being.

On what basis is your judgement of him as a human being. He's flawed, most of us are, maybe even your Mum?

Yep, I voted Gold Coast too.
They are quickly becoming a joke, and totally irrelevant.
Need to turn things around, and quick.

On what basis are they running out of time ?

The basis that if they can’t get their s**t together and become even more of a laughing stock then the whole point of their existence ie promote AFL footy in QLD becomes a problem if they are doing more harm to the game than good by being bloody embarrassing for the people of SEQ

Back