Club vs Country: Losing BBL players to Australian team

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice idea, would free up some more international players too, but ultimately whichever format gets moved from the holiday period will suffer.

There is still two more months of summer and we are going overseas...

International players won't be available from late November to mid February every year and often for even longer.

And both the internationals and the BBL want to have games on during school holidays.

Teams should plan their squads better and take internationals playing as a bonus.

if you sign Glenn Maxwell and get surprised when he gets picked to play the ODIs you're an idiot

An entire gap for the Big Bash in the international calendar is unfeasible. i thought the gap between the first and second indies tests allowed most internationals to be involved in the opening games, which helps attract spectators in the difficult pre-Christmas period, so they could look at keeping that. Maybe another week off internationals during the semi-finals and finals could also work - that way you get the best spectacle at the pointy end of the tournament. Other than that, it'd be too much.

I fear the last generation of test cricketers may already have been born, so, yes, eventually it will happen.
The last generation of West Indian, Zimbabwean and Sri Lankan Test cricketers probably already has some of its members already playing Test cricket.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IPL got big enough to have everyone plan around it, BBL could too eventually

The BBL salary cap is $1.55m - individual players get that in the IPL. The difference could not be more stark.

Ideally, it'd be nice. But the very first response to the OP from Van Dyke is the correct one - the smartest and best franchises will plan around international involvement.

Everyone should be available for the finals, they can easily schedule the one dayers to make it work. Otherwise you end up with a situation like the stars had a couple years ago where they lost 6 players and Perth won a final because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone should be available for the finals, they can easily schedule the one dayers to make it work. Otherwise you end up with a situation like the stars had a couple years ago where they lost 6 players and Perth won a final because of it.
Want a tissue?

No the Stars played diabolical cricket. That is why they lost.

Plus why would you sign half your squad when you know they won't be there...it was poor team management.

You mean a situation where the Stars spent all their dosh on players they knew would be playing for Australia.

You mean a situation where the Stars spent all their dosh on players they knew would be playing for Australia.

This and they have continued to do it. So silly it isn't funny. No wonder the top 3 sides this year have the least Australian players...

Or when the Sydney Thunder used to blow the bank on Clarke and Warner so they could use them in adverts.

Pretty much glad we haven't done that. Even Russell (who will be paid more next year) isn't on a large amount.

This will be a big issue in the years to come. Big Bash teams accept it now as they're newish, figuring things out, and CA is running most things. But in say 2031 it's going to be a different story.

Will we every get to a stage where players would prefer to play BBL Finals over meaningless ODIs?
I'd say you would be blacklisted pretty hard if you chose BBL over ODI's. The money would still be better for ODI's, and if you do well, can go on tours overseas (along with greater exposure for IPL clubs).

I think they should try to have the finals in a International free 'week' or so, so that we get the best players playing. Obvioiusly not feasable if we have a RSA or NZL tour in feb, but having full lists combat each other rather than one team being half strengthed is Ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back