Club vs Country: Losing BBL players to Australian team

Remove this Banner Ad

Did the Stars produce Maxwell and Faulkner?
Maxwell didn't make his Test, ODI or T20 debut until after BBL01, same with Faulkner. So in a way you could mount that argument.

Maxwell didn't make his Test, ODI or T20 debut until after BBL01, same with Faulkner. So in a way you could mount that argument.
Except that Maxwell didn't move to the Stars until after he'd already debuted for Australia in the ODIs (played his first BBL season at the Renegades).

Faulkner had already played a few seasons of 50 over cricket for Tasmania (and the U/19 World Cup) before the BBL started, so it's arguable that his talent was developed elsewhere.

Except that Maxwell didn't move to the Stars until after he'd already debuted for Australia in the ODIs (played his first BBL season at the Renegades).

Faulkner had already played a few seasons of 50 over cricket for Tasmania (and the U/19 World Cup) before the BBL started, so it's arguable that his talent was developed elsewhere.
Forgot about that. Yep, fair call.

Ask the players, they would rather play for Australia than their BBL franchise. That will never change and nor should it.

It's a bit different for players from the Carribean though. Its Club over country for those players. SAme too recently for the South Africans, as part of the KOLPAK agreement, English counties over South African national team.

It's a bit different for players from the Carribean though. Its Club over country for those players. SAme too recently for the South Africans, as part of the KOLPAK agreement, English counties over South African national team.

Its not different for the South Africans.

No regular player in the South African side picked county over country.

They would much prefer to play for the West Indies all things being equal. The cricket system in the Windies is in a dark place at the moment and more money can be made for the players playing Franchise cricket than for their country. This is not the case in Australia or most well run cricket countries.
You get pretty good money playing a one day game for Australia.

I should have clarified that and said 'fringe players' or players that weren't in the first XI for South Africa. (apart from Kyle Abbott)

Abbott was a fringe player throughout the majority of the negotiations with Hampshire. Coming to Australia he was fourth in line and if they had the luxury of Morkel having a good preparation, then probably would have been fifth. Sounds like after his breakthrough couple of tests in Hobart and Adelaide his price might have gone up somewhat tipping the scales in relocating.

If I was a Melbourne Stars supporter I'd be filthy at losing key players for tommorow's clash.

Stoinis, Zampa, Glenn Maxwell, Faulkner, Handscombe. Personally, think the Sixers will have to start favourites tomorrow to knock them over. There is everything to play for the Stars, a win for them, and they could get the potential to host the semi-final as well as the final.

This scheduling is stuffing supporters of the BBL clubs up, big time!

If I was a Melbourne Stars supporter I'd be filthy at losing key players for tommorow's clash.

Stoinis, Zampa, Glenn Maxwell, Faulkner, Handscombe. Personally, think the Sixers will have to start favourites tomorrow to knock them over. There is everything to play for the Stars, a win for them, and they could get the potential to host the semi-final as well as the final.

Stoinis and Handscomb are the only two who would not have been expected to be play ODI before the start of the big bash. Although injured Hastings played a lot of ODI in 2016 with Maxwell, Zampa and Faulkner recent mainstays.

Stars only have themselves to blame for the way they structure their squad. Wright and Hussey no longer bowling also hurts the XI, but again it was a known thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its a bit of hit and giggle it will never take precedence over playing for the national side. (unless salary goes up like the ipl)

In any case since all the BBL teams are 100% owned by the state cricket associations that still won't be an issue.

There is a good reason why CA did not go down the easier route of private ownership

way too much time here but it would be great to see all australian internaitonals being able to play for their respective bbl franchises. strengthens the tournaments but i suppose it doesnt give exposure to emerging youngsters. i would also love 4 international players per team like some of the other leagues but again aus player development comes first. imagine sydney thudner fiedling a team like this (warner patterson khawaja watson morgan buttler russell brathwaite cummins mckay ahmed) the competiton would be lit

Or perhaps, after having the exact same thing happen for the past six seasons, the Stars could spend less money paying KP's super for 2/3 of a season of mediocre cricket and more on identifying alternatives to the same blokes they lose at the same point each BBL?

I agree with the comments about 'list management'. Definitely think two of the teams Sixers and Scorchers have managed their lists knowing full well that less of their players would be approached come the bottom end of the round robins and and finals.

Do feel like the scheduling could definitely be improved. Just feel that at the bottom end of the series you want all your best players playing. How hard would it be for a player to play on a Tuesday and front up for national duty on a Thursday? I personally believe its possible.

How hard would it be to finish the ODIs last Friday night and not be off to NZ untill next week? All because they have to play on Australia Day this series has been dragged out. You can play a 5 match ODI series in 9 days.

Fri, Sun, Tues, Fri, Sun. Play the Tuesday game in Hobart, Perth or Canberra.

Then the limited overs players would realistically only miss 2-3 matches max for the tournament. Those who play all forms woild only be available for the finals but teams would know those who play all forms in advance. A lot of players called up to just ODI side is very random. No one could predict Stoinis, Stanlake or Handscomb 9 months ago. Even Maxwell was dropped for most of last year

Hell you could even schedule the Big Bash final for Australia Day!

its a bit of hit and giggle it will never take precedence over playing for the national side. (unless salary goes up like the ipl)
Made this point in the BBL thread, but I kind of feel like Cricket Australia have taken the aura away from International limited overs Cricket by using it as youth development and gifting games to young players.

The following 11 players have represented Australia in either T20 or ODIs over the past 5 or so years.

Ben Dunk
Peter Forrest
Sam Heazlett
Nathan Reardon
Ben Rohrer
Sean Abbott
Peter Nevill
Daniel Worrall
Scott Boland
Chris Tremain
James Muirhead

Money talks.
It is only the broadcaster/advertisers that can put pressure on.
And they might if the bbl finals are more popular than the international games.
Fact is the finals teams are all going to be well under strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back