Clubs beginning to realise footy dept tax is a door charge to the exclusive premiers club

Remove this Banner Ad

For the record - I'm pretty Collingwood has said that we are not spending enough to be paying the footy dept tax - it was apparently a conscious decision to meet the wishes of members and led to cutting of the number of coaches at the club.

Shouldn't be in this conversation.

Collingwood's cash is doing them a world of good right?
We've cut staff to reduce our football department expenses and minimise that amount of tax paid. Much to the angst of supporters we haven't had a full time ruck coach for years, Hudson was the last in 2014 and currently don't have a development manager after the departure of McRae.

It seems we've had a cycle of plugging holes since we decided to cut costs. Matthew Lappin (forward assistant coach 2014) was let go, Steve Grace (backline development coach 2014) stepped up however this left us without a backline development coach in 2015. Rivers took on the role of backline development coach in 2016, however McRae who was development manager left and wasn't replaced for 2016.

"Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland told the Herald Sun the Swans wanted equalisation across the board."

"But while the Swans believe in equity across the competition................'

Seriously, I wonder how hard he giggled saying those things.

If he was eating his cereal milk would have come out of his nose!

"Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland told the Herald Sun the Swans wanted equalisation across the board."

"But while the Swans believe in equity across the competition................'

Seriously, I wonder how hard he giggled saying those things.

*en eh. I took a double take when I read that.

What a piece of work

The AFL tried (albeit not overly hard) and failed in NSW. Imagine how the supporters of struggling, smaller Vic clubs would feel if the AFL started spending $10-15m per year on development in the northern states.

So until a few years back when the academies happened, there was no growth in the game in NSW/QLD?

That'll be a shock to the hundreds of thousands of extra players up there.

Oh, and the AFL does spend more then $10-15m up there every year already (not counting the ~$60m spent supporting the northern clubs)....paid for by the Vic clubs.

But don't let facts get in the way.

Ireland is headf*****

Honestly would not suprise me if this chippy pillock posted in Bay 13.

I used to really like Sydney, I like most of the Swans players to this day, I like Horse, I live near the Murray so have plenty of good mates who are Swans and I still love the big bud.

Even the level of unhinged hatred towards my club from most swans on this site doesn't bother me (they're not alone there anyway)

But this guys behaviour over the past few years makes it so damn hard to like his club. * him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One more thing:

When the academies are brought into question, the major line of defence is that is good for the growth of the game.

Surely capping spending (and therefore innovation) can only stifle the growth of the game.

Im genuinely floored at the arrogance and hypocrisy of this statement by Ireland.

Really we should just be dealing in totals though, no?

How much extra salary cap do the Swans get?

We won't know because the AFL don't publish player wages.... there is a reason for that.
Which team is having the ATO look into a bunch of its players?

So until a few years back when the academies happened, there was no growth in the game in NSW/QLD?

That'll be a shock to the hundreds of thousands of extra players up there.

Oh, and the AFL does spend more then $10-15m up there every year already (not counting the ~$60m spent supporting the northern clubs)....paid for by the Vic clubs.

But don't let facts get in the way.

Organic growth of a few percent a year is great but you can't seriously argue that it hasn't risen exponentially on the back of the academies? And we're only at the tip of the iceberg...the growth and increasing of the football standard at local levels is only going to continue which is great for our sport overall. I never said the AFL doesn't already spend money there (as they also do with the struggling Vic clubs) but if they were to take over all of the funding to replace the current development programs being run and paid for by the clubs that figure would need to increase 5 fold.

Organic growth of a few percent a year is great but you can't seriously argue that it hasn't risen exponentially on the back of the academies? And we're only at the tip of the iceberg...the growth and increasing of the football standard at local levels is only going to continue which is great for our sport overall. I never said the AFL doesn't already spend money there (as they also do with the struggling Vic clubs) but if they were to take over all of the funding to replace the current development programs being run and paid for by the clubs that figure would need to increase 5 fold.

Remind me...In your mind, when did the academies start?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back