Analysis Clubs days break differential

Remove this Banner Ad

richmund supporters think getting a massive fixture advantage for the 8000th time in a row is just normal
coincidentally its the same ratio of Richmund players getting off striking charges

sickening how much the VFL cheats for this club

Only club to have played 15 games. We're entitled to a bye like every other club.

Final Siren

This looks like an analysis that you would relish.
Ha, absolutely!

The benefit of an extra day or two's rest is one of those common-sense theories that everyone believes in despite the absence of any evidence. (Like the importance of "momentum.") Plenty of people have gone looking for the stats to back it up, but they're not there. At best, there might be a small benefit in very particular windows, but even that's suspect.

Funnily enough, there is pretty good evidence that byes hurt your chances of winning the next week, i.e. too much rest is bad, but no-one takes that seriously.

The most comprehensive analysis I've seen is by Tony Corke over at Matter of Stats, but this piece by Stats Insider is good, too, and more readable for non-stat nerds.

In summary, though: If days' break was a significant factor, we should be able to see it in the stats, and we can't.

Games with < 7 days' break and shorter break than opposition

ClubR3-11R12-17Total
Coll437
Haw347
GWS246
Adel415
Bris325
Ess235
Frem235
Geel235
G.C.235
N.M.134
Rich314
St.K314
Melb213
W.B.123
Carl112
P.A.202
Syd202
W.C.022

This is the list which matters. 7 days vs 9 days who cares. Both have a full week.

We have been hammered by the number of 5 day breaks vs teams with 7 to 9 day breaks.

And also we keep getting our home games at the opposition's home ground. Gil and Hocking have had a lot of fun punishing Hawthorn, knowing that if Clarko speaks out they can hit him with a $100,000 fine.

1 true home game all year. 7 nominal home games and 10 nominal away games, but 3 of those "home" games were at opposition home games.

And people wonder why we went from 2 and 1 to where we are now.

Ha, absolutely!

The benefit of an extra day or two's rest is one of those common-sense theories that everyone believes in despite the absence of any evidence. (Like the importance of "momentum.") Plenty of people have gone looking for the stats to back it up, but they're not there. At best, there might be a small benefit in very particular windows, but even that's suspect.

Funnily enough, there is pretty good evidence that byes hurt your chances of winning the next week, i.e. too much rest is bad, but no-one takes that seriously.

The most comprehensive analysis I've seen is by Tony Corke over at Matter of Stats, but this piece by Stats Insider is good, too, and more readable for non-stat nerds.

In summary, though: If days' break was a significant factor, we should be able to see it in the stats, and we can't.

Historically the very short breaks have been rare, and usually around ANZAC Day, Easter, and Queen's Birthday. With longer breaks either side.

2020 has been totally different.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back