Club's first goalkickers

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 31, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi All

I have been searching through trove trying to find the first goal kickers in the VFL for each team. I will continue looking through the rabbit hole, however if anyone already has this information that might save me some time.

I have these clubs already
Carlton - Bill Weir (Against Fitzroy at Brunswick ST Oval)
Essendon - Edgar croft (Against Geelong at Corio)
Footscray - George Bayliss (Against Fitzroy at Brunswick St)
Geelong - Edward James (Against Essendon at Corio)
Hawthorn - Hec Yeomans (Agaisnt Richmond at Gelnferrie)
Melbourne - George Moysey (agaisnt South at Lakeside)
North Melb - Fred Metcalf (Against Geelong at Corio)
Richmond - Billy Schmidt (Agasint melbouren at Punt Road)
South Melb - Dennis Dinny McKay (Against Melbourne at Lakeside)
University - Edgar Kneen (Agaisnt Essendon at EMCG)

Therefore I am looking for
Collingwood
Fitzroy
StKilda (either Danny Dunne or Reg Stewart)

Hi All

I have been searching through trove trying to find the first goal kickers in the VFL for each team. I will continue looking through the rabbit hole, however if anyone already has this information that might save me some time.

I have these clubs already
Carlton - Bill Weir (Against Fitzroy at Brunswick ST Oval)
Essendon - Edgar croft (Against Geelong at Corio)
Footscray - George Bayliss (Against Fitzroy at Brunswick St)
Geelong - Edward James (Against Essendon at Corio)
Hawthorn - Hec Yeomans (Agaisnt Richmond at Gelnferrie)
Melbourne - George Moysey (agaisnt South at Lakeside)
North Melb - Fred Metcalf (Against Geelong at Corio)

Richmond - Billy Schmidt (Agasint melbouren at Punt Road)
South Melb - Dennis Dinny McKay (Against Melbourne at Lakeside)
University - Edgar Kneen (Agaisnt Essendon at EMCG)

Therefore I am looking for
Collingwood
Fitzroy
StKilda (either Danny Dunne or Reg Stewart)
From AFL Record Season (Guide) 2019 [p. 767]:
Collingwood - Frank Hailwood (against St Kilda at Victoria Park)
Fitzroy - Bill McSpeerin (against Carlton at Brunswick St)
St Kilda - Danny Dunne (against Collingwood at Victoria Park)

The book also has:
Essendon - Norm Waugh (against Geelong at Corio Oval)
Melbourne - Charlie H. Young (against South Melbourne at Lakeside Oval)
North Melb - Alf Goonan (against Geelong at Corio Oval)

Last edited:

From AFL Record Season (Guide) 2019 [p. 767]:
Collingwood - Frank Hailwood (against St Kilda at Victoria Park)
Fitzroy - Bill McSpeerin (against Carlton at Brunswick St)
St Kilda - Danny Dunne (against Collingwood at Victoria Park)

The book also has:
Essendon - Norm Waugh (against Geelong at Corio Oval)
Melbourne - Charlie H. Young (against South Melbourne at Lakeside Oval)
North Melb - Alf Goonan (against Geelong at Corio Oval)

Would be interested in their source for Young. The only of the newspapers on Trove that mentions the first goalkicker is local South Melbourne paper Record:

Record 15/05/1987 said:
The Southerners led off by kicking-to wards the lake goal, but the oval was quickly returned, and after some, lively play in the centre of the field, Young
marked to Moysey in a good position. The former placed the ball nicely, and hoisted first goal for the metropolitans.

Going back, other first MFC goals were:

1858 and 1859 - Thomas Wray (who did it both years to dismiss any arguments between the camps who argue the MFC was formed in 1858 and those like me who consider the start to be the formation of the actual club in 1859)
1877 - Fred Baker first goal in the VFA

Can't tell who kicked the first AFL goal, but as Darren Bennett had six of our 10 at half time of Round 1, 1990 the odds are in his favour.

Last edited:
I believe i found the Melbourne goal from the demonwiki page ( http://demonwiki.org/Round+1+1897 ) I hear it is often unreliable so glad there is a proper record of it somewhere.
The other inaccuracies come from the clubs history books, and just show how tricky the history from back then can be.
Now first AFL goal, there is something i didn't think to look up.....

I believe i found the Melbourne goal from the demonwiki page ( http://demonwiki.org/Round+1+1897 ) I hear it is often unreliable so glad there is a proper record of it somewhere.
The other inaccuracies come from the clubs history books, and just show how tricky the history from back then can be.
Now first AFL goal, there is something i didn't think to look up.....

Actually, to be fair Moysey isn't credited with a goal in official records in R1, 1897 so Record may be incorrect.

Do you know where you/Demonwiki got Moysey (as Melbourne's first goalkicker) from?

I thought it had been found to be Moysey due to the report in the South Melbourne weekly paper The Record,
but now that I read the specific few lines again, I think Young should be credited with the first goal for Melbourne,
and acknowledge that some confusion seems to have arisen in the past due to the way the journalist wrote the original report.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/108482390

"The Southerners led off by kicking towards the lake goal, but the oval was quickly returned, and after some lively play in the centre of the field,
Young marked to Moysey in a good position. The former placed the ball nicely, and hoisted first goal for the metropolitans."

Young marked to Moysey in a good position has been assumed to be the latter taking mark and kicking goal when in fact it means that Moysey kicked it to Young,
because the report then states the former [Young] placed the ball nicely, and hoisted first goal...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back