List Clubs named after workplaces

Remove this Banner Ad

It was/is behind the town hall.
Here is some further info

Yeah I'm not sure why you keep trying to tell me where that ground is ... I said I knew it (I've watched footy there).

My query is why they chose to use such a comparatively small ground when the other games were being held at larger venues. And my suspicion is that the ground must have had much more robust facilities in the past. There were even a couple of VFA matches held there. That's stunning. Everything must have been dismantled because from my memory even the pavilion was so small and removed from the action that when we had a downpour, only a dozen spectators found room to take shelter ... around the entire ground.

It's got to be the same place though (where three fifths of the Industrial League matches were held), it's just that it's surprising.

Yeah I'm not sure why you keep trying to tell me where that ground is ... I said I knew it (I've watched footy there).

My query is why they chose to use such a comparatively small ground when the other games were being held at larger venues. And my suspicion is that the ground must have had much more robust facilities in the past. There were even a couple of VFA matches held there. That's stunning. Everything must have been dismantled because from my memory even the pavilion was so small and removed from the action that when we had a downpour, only a dozen spectators found room to take shelter ... around the entire ground.

It's got to be the same place though (where three fifths of the Industrial League matches were held), it's just that it's surprising.
1642831248266.png
1642831288503.png

1642832732705.png

1642833182334.png

1642832603687.png

1642833082497.png

Last edited:

Indies were using the ground in 1929 (Vic Brewery, Carlton Brewery, Havelock - 3 teams of 7) along with predominantly Port Melbourne's ground, just after all those shenanigans mentioned above, removing facilities.

The comp was operating as early as 1927 so there might have been some crossover, getting tied into the ground before it was downgraded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back