Query Clubs of Fremantle

Silent Alarm

(sandy)
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
One thing I find pretty curious is the real lack of football clubs in 'well known' suburbs of Perth. Especially inner city or older suburbs. While these areas have WAFL clubs, I really can't think of that many amateur clubs currently calling these areas home. One thing I've found curious is the real lack of junior or amateur clubs in or close to Fremantle – which is an old footy town and probably the oldest in Western Australia. In Victoria, there are entire leagues based out of suburbs around say Essendon – even though the zone had the Bombers and North Melbourne.

Did Souths and East Fremantle essentially suck up all resources?

Are there old clubs that have died out?

I'm thinking there would have been a Beaconsfield Football Club, Bicton, White Gum Valley.

Instead now most of the nearby clubs are in Cockburn, Melville, Kwinana.

North Fremantle is a rare example. Predating a lot of the WAFL clubs it's a powerhouse. Well known club, generally always get a good quantity and quality of player, nice home ground. There's also Fremantle CBC but from memory they don't actually play in town?

Can anyone fill me in if these clubs have just changed names or gone to new areas or if they just never existed?

Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ThePope

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2003
32º 03'S 115º 45'E
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Interesting point. I've never had much to do with the Ammos, so aren't sure. As you say CBC was there, and used to play at East Freo oval, and many of the other teams were school based - Trinity Aquinas, Old Wesley, Old Scotch - which weren't that far up the highways. There was a Swanbourne team, and Coolbellup too.

There was a Fremantle club in the Sunday league in the 1980s, as well as Willetton, Applecross, Canning, Kwinana, Mandurah and Rockingham.

Also, south of Freo, there wasn't much due to the industrial zones. Peel (Mandurah) obviously has it's own league.
Bullcreek-Leeming is a famous junior club

brad5668

Rookie
Aug 11, 2009
Ellenbrook
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Armadale
This book covers the first 20 years of football in Fremantle.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/2016-04-01/new-book-examines-the-origins-of-football-in-fremantle.

There was a competition called the Fremantle Ex-Scholars that ran until 1979. In the early 1980s there were teams from Cockburn, Hamilton, Spearwood, North Fremantle, an East Fremantle amateurs team, Southern Port, who later merged with Hamilton. I dont have a complete list of teams in the area at the time, that is compiled going from memory.

Top Bottom