Clubs that are defunct or merged throughout Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are there many/any other examples of teams that have come back after going into recess over the last 20 years?
Sorell was one. They were originally included in the new SFL Premier League to compete against the old TFL sides back in 2002.
Got included on the basis of being in a "fastest growing area" along with Brighton and Kingborough.
Lasted one season and went into recess because they couldn't get enough people to even form a committee.
A new board swept in and they rebooted the club to play in the SFL Regional League in 2004 where they were very competitive for a few years there and made a couple of grand finals.

Woodsdale (in recess since 2015) and Oatlands (in recess since 2020) both made a comeback to the ODFA last season.
Ross made a brief comeback to the ODFA about 20 years ago after being in recess for quite some time but it all went pearshaped owing to several "behavioural issues" amongst some of their players, from memory the umpires refused to officiate in their matches in the end and the club went under for good in 2008.
Ozguy would know the full story on what went on there.

Circular Head Saints, formerly known briefly as Circular Head Giants and previously known for decades prior to that as Smithton went into recess in 2019, made a comeback to the NWFL last season.
Brighton's senior side went into recess a couple of years ago owing to a shortage of player numbers.
Curiously they still fielded a reserves and womens team during that time but returned to full time participation in the SFL last season with all sides present (1's, 2's, 3's, W's and all juniors).

I wonder if any locals down there could be kind enough to screen shot today's Examiner article on Bridport's NTFA return?

Stuns me that you don't even get 1 free article on their webpage, do they think I'm going to sign up to read one article?

I hate paywalls. Have one on me, nobbyiscool.

The NTFA was in chaos this time last year when they announced Bridport Football Club would not be taking part in the division one men's league due to a lack of players. While the club announced at the time it would be going into recess and try to gather the numbers required for 2023, the declining trend in football's participation rates had many fearing the worst.
A landmark moment occurred for the club in June last year when life member and former premiership player Steve McKillop took over as president and managed to sign Andrew Philpott as coach. McKillop knew that even after some early success, there was much work still to be done.
"I remember the first conversation I had with Andrew, I was very honest to him," he recalled. "I said, 'We've got no players, so we don't know how it will go', and to be where we are now is just really commendable, it has been a massive battle."
While the former Seagulls captain had his concerns along the way, he felt he needed to do it for the Bridport community.
"It was terrible for the town. It was just so quiet, the shops really noticed a difference and it felt like a huge hole missing," he said. "I had to be confident all the way through because if I was the president and I wasn't confident, people would see that they weren't sure that we were going to get going. So in the back of my mind I was very worried about it, but I just had to show confidence all the way through and that's what I did."
Bridport will be returning to the blue and white hoops this season as a nod to their history; a decision which was driven by former players and sponsors. The team are likely to get a heroes' reception when they take to Bridport Oval in their opening round clash against Perth and while McKillop cannot wait for that, he admitted he is most keen to relax for the first time in 10 months.
"It's been a long bloody road and I've doubted myself at times. I've thought about how much work we've been doing every day and most nights. I'm going to be very relieved next Saturday afternoon," he said.

I hate paywalls. Have one on me, nobbyiscool.

The NTFA was in chaos this time last year when they announced Bridport Football Club would not be taking part in the division one men's league due to a lack of players. While the club announced at the time it would be going into recess and try to gather the numbers required for 2023, the declining trend in football's participation rates had many fearing the worst.
A landmark moment occurred for the club in June last year when life member and former premiership player Steve McKillop took over as president and managed to sign Andrew Philpott as coach. McKillop knew that even after some early success, there was much work still to be done.
"I remember the first conversation I had with Andrew, I was very honest to him," he recalled. "I said, 'We've got no players, so we don't know how it will go', and to be where we are now is just really commendable, it has been a massive battle."
While the former Seagulls captain had his concerns along the way, he felt he needed to do it for the Bridport community.
"It was terrible for the town. It was just so quiet, the shops really noticed a difference and it felt like a huge hole missing," he said. "I had to be confident all the way through because if I was the president and I wasn't confident, people would see that they weren't sure that we were going to get going. So in the back of my mind I was very worried about it, but I just had to show confidence all the way through and that's what I did."
Bridport will be returning to the blue and white hoops this season as a nod to their history; a decision which was driven by former players and sponsors. The team are likely to get a heroes' reception when they take to Bridport Oval in their opening round clash against Perth and while McKillop cannot wait for that, he admitted he is most keen to relax for the first time in 10 months.
"It's been a long bloody road and I've doubted myself at times. I've thought about how much work we've been doing every day and most nights. I'm going to be very relieved next Saturday afternoon," he said.

Would you be able to do it for the NTFA Divisin 1 Season Preview as well if possible @Never heard of Perretot 95156F69-96BF-4C08-9C07-F1B397162815.jpeg

Were Spreyton meant to enter recess this year? I'm sure I remember seeing something on here about it but I can't find it for the life of me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back