Co-Captains. Do you support Co-captains in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
With the West Coast Eagles appointing co-captains for the first time since 2001, are you a fan of co-captains or not?

I prefer solo captains over co-captains such as Darcy Moore and previously Joel Selwood and Trent Cotchin.

I Dont Season 8 GIF by Friends

I couldn’t give a stuff if they made all 22 players captains, just do good football.

Prefer solo, but really dont care.
I dont know the players personally and I dont know how they all act behind closed doors. There can be situations where co-captains can work and situations that a solo captain is better.
In the Eagles situation both those guys would have been easy front runners for the captaincy, so not too upset at them both getting it

Horses for courses, the reality is even if one person is named captain it is still a collaborative effort leading a footy team.

I think in WCE's case it is a perfect choice to bridge the gap for a couple of years until someone else raises their hand to take them out of the rebuild phase. They have Allen who is clearly a talent with leadership qualities wo i suspect most WC fans would want in the role but he is young so they partnered him with a mature (not too old) player in Duggan, having the job solely for Allen as a young key tall in a team expected to struggle is a big ask so a guy like Duggan can help carry the burden.

Barrass also seems like a quality leader but also strikes me as the type of guy who would rather be in the background in terms of media commitments and official duties that come with being a captain.

Which way the team kicks when the coin is tossed.

Guaranteed the coach decides that.

On topic, I’ve never been a big fan - but its one of those roles that are impossible to know the impact of from the outside.

For the Eagles, it makes sense right now - Duggan is a very willing and capable leader who would have taken the solo job in a heartbeat - Allen too an obvious leader but this time last year had just missed a year of footy and with the club not yet out of seriously choppy waters, it would be a lot for basically the club’s best and brightest player - now and moving forward - to take on.

I suspect all going to plan, Oscar will hold it solo in 2-3 years.

Other clubs swear by it (Sydney obviously, Brisbane has been on and off), so it obviously works in some settings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A captain in cricket sets the field placings, chooses which bowler to batter to send in, instructs his or her team (with the coach's help) on things like lifting run rates or playing a certain way, and chooses whether to bowl or bat (which often has a major influence on the outcome). He or she is one of 11 players.

A captain in AFL chooses to kick to the left of screen and is one of 22 players. If Liam Duggan was named as sole captain over a co-captaincy with Oscar, would it make the players put in more effort? Stick to the game plan better? Be more courageous with their head over the ball?

Think some people here vastly overestimate the influence of a captain.

Grant Thomas wanted to get rid of captains, to snuff out the individualistic nature of St Kilda's culture. Really, a leadership group is required, not just one person alone.

You appoint co-captains when you don’t have anyone worthy of being captain, so it’s a poor look full-stop and I hate it. If we go with a dual captain arrangement at Richmond again I’ll be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back