Co-Captains. Do you support Co-captains in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

leaders on each line are important, probably moreso than an individual captain in todays game.

see players like hawkins directing the forward line at geelong, lever coordinating the backline for melbourne etc despite not being the captains of their respective team.

I think Parkin in an interview a few years back said having a group of really strong group of senior players is much more important then having one great captain.

I really think it makes approximately two-fifths of * all difference. Footy isn't like cricket, where the captain is the main tactician and driver. In footy the captain is often really not that relevant compared to the leadership group as a whole, and even then more an informal one than a named one.
Whoever shows leadership leads, one or more of those gets the support to be designated captain.

Ah no. The coach commands the team. The captain tosses the coin, does media, and gives speeches.

The captain is a on field and off field leader. Alot of AFL players eere captains as juniors as well.

I prefer a single captain but understand why the Eagles went the other way. The players and others who voted coykd split the two candidates and at this stage Duggan captains defense and Allen the forward half. Allen at 24 is closer to the draftees age wise and Duggan is a bit older and has the respect of the entire group.

If a club has a single standout player then go that way.

It makes sense in certain situations.

If you got a co captain, one is the current captain that is 30 years old or near the end of their career, the other is aged 22-24 years old with 60-100 games under the belt. The Younger co captain is essentially a vice captain or sole captain in waiting.

But if one is injured, the other is available.

With the West Coast Eagles appointing co-captains for the first time since 2001, are you a fan of co-captains or not?

I prefer solo captains over co-captains such as Darcy Moore and previously Joel Selwood and Trent Cotchin.
Prefer my own club to do solo Captain, and overall this is the choice I'd favour.

Couldn't care less what other clubs do but if I had a general preference if it was one way or the other it'd be one captain for each club.

It makes sense in certain situations.

If you got a co captain, one is the current captain that is 30 years old or near the end of their career, the other is aged 22-24 years old with 60-100 games under the belt. The Younger co captain is essentially a vice captain or sole captain in waiting.

But if one is injured, the other is available.
Why not just have a Vice captain then to achieve the exact same purpose without the quirk of having co captains? You've essentially just said the younger one is essentially not the true captain anyway.

I think its dumb but also that it doesn't really matter.
The effect isn't much different to having a captain and a vice-captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you overestimate the effect a captain has on a football team. A captain like Hodge or Selwood yes, but those are exceptional.
So if you want your team to win multiple flags you need an exceptional captain?

How is that overstating their effect?

I think its dumb but also that it doesn't really matter.
The effect isn't much different to having a captain and a vice-captain.
Yes it is. Captain is your leader. Vice captain I'd the one who steps up if your captain can't play

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Sam Docherty helped shape and mentor Paddy Cripps as his fellow co-captain, but now Cripps is doing a great job now as solo captain, but Doc also still very much regarded too as a significant on field leader.

Co captains can work, but in the example I mentioned, a older seasoned warrior helping the younger buck grow into his role

The Richmond Co-Capaincy gig in Nankervis and Grimes is absolutely mind boggling bad imo

Go ahead, name a country that doesn't have two presidents. A boat that sets sail without two captains. Where would Catholicism be without the popes.
Catholicism has been in decline ever since they got rid of the multiple pope system.

It’s also a cop out. It’s the club saying “we don’t think captain A is good enough to be captain on his own, but we have the same view of captain B”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back