Coach Bombay's Potentially Life Changing Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Mighty Ducks
I'm sure similar threads have been started but every circumstance is different.

The long short of it is I am 22 years of age and have hit what I think is a bit of a rut in my life. Everythings becoming kinda routine and I find myself realising that things in life dont just come to you, you have to go out and get them.

I am starting to seriously consider just throwing caution to the wind by travelling and probably living overseas for an extended period of time. Thinking around 6 months. For some reason I'm locked in on Canada. Not many other countries interest me at all. So basically im after people who are in the know when it comes to Canada.

What id be looking for is a location in Canada with:
  • Good/friendly/laidback people
  • Great scenery
  • An entertaining nightlife
Also, any jobs anyone can recommend for someone travelling. Pretty certain its all hospitality stuff but just need all the help/info I can get from people more in the know than I.

Any help at all would be seriously appreciated :thumbsu:

I'm biased but I'd recommend waiting six months and going for the ski season, working at a resort. Always wanted to spend a winter in the northern hemisphere working on my technique.

Whatever you choose to do, don't have second thoughts. My biggest regret is not cutting loose and doing some serious overseas backbacking/working/travelling before locking myself into a career.

I'm biased but I'd recommend waiting six months and going for the ski season, working at a resort. Always wanted to spend a winter in the northern hemisphere working on my technique.

Whatever you choose to do, don't have second thoughts. My biggest regret is not cutting loose and doing some serious overseas backbacking/working/travelling before locking myself into a career.

Thanks for the advice. Stupid question but i'll be asking alot of them. Do you reckon you actually have to have a "background" in snowboarding/skiing? Im not that interested in it but think it would still be a pretty awesome place to work and would give it a go.

Also are gigs like this only available in the winter? Thats just finishing up nowadays yeah?

Vancouver would be a great start and by the time u get a working holiday visa it may be the start of ski season. most jobs in the snow don't require you to be a great skier If you want to go before that you can go to the US either on a summer camp worker visa if you like kids.

You don't have to know anything about skiing/snowboarding to work as a liftie, or just in some other non-skiing role in the resort - I know a few people who went over knowing very little and learned while they were there.

Probably not a lot of fun to spend the whole winter there if you aren't interested in snowsports though - not like there's a lot to do at a ski resort besides ski.

I know a few ski resorts like Lake Louise are also summer resorts with hiking and golf and fishing and stuff. Not sure what the demand for workers is like though.

I'm 21 (will be 22 next year when I intend to go) I'm in a similar position, except I'm thinking of heading to the US. Any suggestions, I'm currently working at a golf course in AUS serving customers and love it. Work suggestions would be great, dont want too many hours. Also any idea on good places to live that are affordable? What were people paying for accomodation. I'm seeing US sites quoting in rent by the month.

Went to the travel agent this morning. Feels great to get the ball rolling. Flights seemed pretty reasonably priced considering I'm going in peak season.

Just need to get my passport/working visa in order. Also need to get accepted for work from an employer before I actually head over which I'm praying isnt too hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back