Prediction Coach claim for 2018 - Nathan Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Buckley had a really poor night. He took far too long to adjust to how badly we were being beaten on ball and by the time he did the game was blown. Tagging Cunnington is one aspect of it. But De Goey should have gone on ball earlier than he did also. We needed to find a way to move the ball differently than down the line also and didn't. In the last we tried more run and carry, not entirely successfully, but at least it changed things up. It was too little too late by then.

The players of course aren't blameless but I think it was all round a bad night for club. From the coaches to the players. Just poor.

I'm not sure JDG was the answer or if he's fit enough to spend too much time in the midfield.

I feel a difference in Bucks across recent weeks. Gone is the relaxed, “we’re just having fun” Bucks and a little bit of the hyper competitive Captain Bucks has returned.
It’s certainly tricky, managing men - and especially young men - but I hope Bucks remains insightful into what got them ticking well in the first place as he deals with this form slump.

I'm not sure you can garner too much insight from his post match press conferences. What's he been like with the players back at the club?

I'm not sure JDG was the answer or if he's fit enough to spend too much time in the midfield.

He started the 4th in there and whether it was coincidence or not we immediately become more competitive. Although I think you are right in terms of time in there he cant maintain the rage with his fitness levels. But atm I think he is being under utilised in there especially when he'd have icicles growing off him with the lack of f50 entries.

I think he should be spending 10-15 mins a quarter in the guts and the rest as a forward used as a impact player to break it up.

I'm not sure you can garner too much insight from his post match press conferences. What's he been like with the players back at the club?

People can't be serious if they are having a crack at Bucks being miffed at the last month of performances?

How many coaches do you know that would jovial after our last month culminating in on of the softest performances by a team in living memory?

None. Not one. They'd all be breathing fire.

it comes down to balance, and at times we have had a great balance but other times way to defensive, I am a firm believer you do need times in games where you need to control the play, but again, balance, it is definitely out of whack at the moment and last night was bad.

It's the players on-field who dictate that. Comes down to work rate and skill execution, neither of which we seem to have much of at the moment.

He started the 4th in there and whether it was coincidence or not we immediately become more competitive. Although I think you are right in terms of time in there he cant maintain the rage with his fitness levels. But atm I think he is being under utilised in there especially when he'd have icicles growing off him with the lack of f50 entries.

I think he should be spending 10-15 mins a quarter in the guts and the rest as a forward used as a impact player to break it up.

It's a balance though isn't it. We had a patch early in the last where our ball movement was more dynamic but the ball was simply rebounding out of our F50, even with Moore moved there. I doubt moving JDG earlier or more often would have had any impact on the outcome of the game.

It's a balance though isn't it. We had a patch early in the last where our ball movement was more dynamic but the ball was simply rebounding out of our F50, even with Moore moved there. I doubt moving JDG earlier or more often would have had any impact on the outcome of the game.

A lot of dropped bundles by that stage of the game and imo they were far too Cox conscious in the 4th a lot of ignored leads inside 50 into space ignored to go to him stagnant with 2 or 3v1s on him then Norf clean up spills.

Also with Moore he gets sent there takes a nice leading mark on the f50 arc then 10 minutes later goes to the bench for 15 minutes,

Yes for now but I'm expecting top 4 and Bucks has made me question him a few times this year. Taking aim at MM and also just has us playing weird brands that don't suit us when it's fairly clear what makes us look good and what doesn't so it's a head scratcher why do we seem to play the bad way more often than not?

Also with Moore he gets sent there takes a nice leading mark on the f50 arc then 10 minutes later goes to the bench for 15 minutes,
I thought that was strange but didn't he get a knock earlier in the game? Maybe with the game gone it was precaution?

A lot of dropped bundles by that stage of the game and imo they were far too Cox conscious in the 4th a lot of ignored leads inside 50 into space ignored to go to him stagnant with 2 or 3v1s on him then Norf clean up spills.

Which is an area we seriously need to work on, we are one of the worst teams for picking up loose balls inside 50, where the hell are the crumbers? If you have decent crumbers then you can take advantage of Cox's height but either our players aren't good enough or the game plan doesn't involve them

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is an area we seriously need to work on, we are one of the worst teams for picking up loose balls inside 50, where the hell are the crumbers? If you have decent crumbers then you can take advantage of Cox's height but either our players aren't good enough or the game plan doesn't involve them

We don't recruit small elusive, skilled, crumbing, goal kicking forwards (especially indigenous ones). Derek's new small fwds drafting tick box is work horse, grunt and tackler boxes like Crocker, Blair, Thomas (inside mid refashioned).

How long has the supporter base been screaming out for a new Leon Davis or Alan Didak type? or a Milne (forget he's a swordsmoker and remember he was a great small fwd), or Riolix3, or Betts or other.

The theory is these guys are great at getting you to grand finals but dont do a lot in them and I think Dekka has taken it to the extreme where he doesnt even look at them.

No he’s not the man. Never has been. Never will be. Glad I’m critic no.5.

Massive list of reasons why I know he should never have been appointed in 2012, and should have been given the arse in 2016.

Considering a key reason he was brought in to change the “culture” of the playing group, what’s he actually achieved or done better than Malthouse? Had 3 players test positive for PEDs, still blokes getting in fights over the journey (Marley Williams, DeGoey), still players getting done for betting and DUIs and doing illicit drugs.

I just love the hypocrtical nature of it all. Under Malthouse, a player does something dumb off field - it’s the coach’s fault and about poor culture. Under Buckley, a player does something dumb off field - it’s the players fault Buckley’s set up a great culture.

It’s hilarious to me the double standards the club has set between Malthouse and Buckley eras.

Bucks took his eye off the ball massively when he decided to criticise Malthouse. The old man lives in his head rent free. Malthouse owns his soul and he knows it.

Without Malthouse, Buckley never plays finals, in two GFs and three preliminary finals. Never gets to share a Brownlow. Without Buckley, Malthouse wins a premiership.

Worst performance since 1995 and he’s being lauded as a god on here? Just mind blowing. Not to mention the UNLOSEABLE GF he lost with poor red time strategy and basic failure to drill defensive accountability into the playing group.

Just on that, has Nathan been able to stop the team leaking red time goals this year? Or at all since 2012?

Then he sprays Grundy last week - which was more about Bucks egotistical response to Grundy putting his contract talks on hold than the way he played on-field.

Regardless of the injuries. On paper we are better side than the 22 NMFC put on the park. 4 goal win was the expectation. A well lead and well motivated side should have easily dealt with NMFC. A team not particularly lead well or well motivated gets its pants pulled down - like we did. And that is almost all on the coach.

You didn't need to vote. We knew.

Tl;dr too.

We don't recruit small elusive, skilled, crumbing, goal kicking forwards (especially indigenous ones). Derek's new small fwds drafting tick box is work horse, grunt and tackler boxes like Crocker, Blair, Thomas (inside mid refashioned).

How long has the supporter base been screaming out for a new Leon Davis or Alan Didak type? or a Milne (forget he's a swordsmoker and remember he was a great small fwd), or Riolix3, or Betts or other.

The theory is these guys are great at getting you to grand finals but dont do a lot in them and I think Dekka has taken it to the extreme where he doesnt even look at them.
I actually thought that Broomhead was going to be the type you mentioned before he broke his leg. Would be a much better choice than Thomas.

We need a Richmond Sydney Stack type of player - what a gem he is for them.

Just on that, has Nathan been able to stop the team leaking red time goals this year? Or at all since 2012?

Red time goals are the result of a high intensity, high pressure game plan, which sees fatigue often setting in late in quarters. They pre-date Buckley and go back to MM.

I actually thought that Broomhead was going to be the type you mentioned before he broke his leg. Would be a much better choice than Thomas.

We need a Richmond Sydney Stack type of player - what a gem he is for them.

Yep but Tim was recruited as mid come winger who went fwd.

Oh I agree on Stack I was a big fan in his draft year mentioned him a few times on draft threads.

It's never this simple, I was critical of his performance 2014-2017, but heaped praise on him last season.

At the moment, yes. But the next month will go a long way to deciding whether that opinion changes or not.

I sincerely hope my belief in him as a senior coach is well placed.
This! For the moment I'm glad he's our coach. There's nothing that says that can't change though depending on how we continue.

I'll never understand the blind loyalty/tribalism that says if you approve of someone/something you have to do so forever, lest you be a traitor, or not a real fan or some nonsense. Standards and performances will evolve and fluctuate over time, and not always for the better. But Buckley doesn't need loyalty from us on BigFooty or any of our supporters. He only needs and expects loyalty from our players. If the performances are good, other loyalties will sort themselves out (unless you're a certain well known troll around these parts). But if the performances are bad enough for long enough, the number of people who approve of Buckley will drop. And that won't be unfair.

We needed something different on ball and De Goey was the best option. Fitness was not the issue because Buckley has recently thrown him in to the centre clearances as early as the 2nd quarter. Normally its the 3rd. This week he waited until the 4th. The bigger issue was the lack of Stephenson. I think he wanted De Goey deep in that role with Stephenson out. Which is understandable. But alternatives included Cox (whò played higher up the ground) WHE who was quiet, or Moore who was being dragged away from the play anyway.

A tag, either Crisp (my choice) or Greenwood, was also a necessary change on Cunnington. Crisp and De Goey would have given our on ball brigade a very different look. That call should have happened at half time because the writing was on the wall.

No he’s not the man. Never has been. Never will be. Glad I’m critic no.5.

Massive list of reasons why I know he should never have been appointed in 2012, and should have been given the arse in 2016.

Considering a key reason he was brought in to change the “culture” of the playing group, what’s he actually achieved or done better than Malthouse? Had 3 players test positive for PEDs, still blokes getting in fights over the journey (Marley Williams, DeGoey), still players getting done for betting and DUIs and doing illicit drugs.

I just love the hypocrtical nature of it all. Under Malthouse, a player does something dumb off field - it’s the coach’s fault and about poor culture. Under Buckley, a player does something dumb off field - it’s the players fault Buckley’s set up a great culture.

It’s hilarious to me the double standards the club has set between Malthouse and Buckley eras.

Bucks took his eye off the ball massively when he decided to criticise Malthouse. The old man lives in his head rent free. Malthouse owns his soul and he knows it.

Without Malthouse, Buckley never plays finals, in two GFs and three preliminary finals. Never gets to share a Brownlow. Without Buckley, Malthouse wins a premiership.

Worst performance since 1995 and he’s being lauded as a god on here? Just mind blowing. Not to mention the UNLOSEABLE GF he lost with poor red time strategy and basic failure to drill defensive accountability into the playing group.

Then he sprays Grundy last week - which was more about Bucks egotistical response to Grundy putting his contract talks on hold than the way he played on-field.

Regardless of the injuries. On paper we are better side than the 22 NMFC put on the park. 4 goal win was the expectation. A well lead and well motivated side should have easily dealt with NMFC. A team not particularly lead well or well motivated gets its pants pulled down - like we did. And that is almost all on the coach.
Ah Ttrraavviiss, I was wondering when you would grace this thread with your unique revisionist spin? AKA known as "tripe". You well-known Bucks-hater and (some suspect) Magpie troll you, God bless. Thanks for your much-anticipated inaccurate, twisted and negative response; you've added great value as always. Make sure you get your "no" vote in early.

We needed something different on ball and De Goey was the best option. Fitness was not the issue because Buckley has recently thrown him in to the centre clearances as early as the 2nd quarter. Normally its the 3rd. This week he waited until the 4th. The bigger issue was the lack of Stephenson. I think he wanted De Goey deep in that role with Stephenson out. Which is understandable. But alternatives included Cox (whò played higher up the ground) WHE who was quiet, or Moore who was being dragged away from the play anyway.

A tag, either Crisp (my choice) or Greenwood, was also a necessary change on Cunnington. Crisp and De Goey would have given our on ball brigade a very different look. That call should have happened at half time because the writing was on the wall.

Happy to agree to disagree. There are times when JDG having a few midfield rotations can change momentum, but the malaise was way too deep for it to impact Saturday night. As evidenced by the minimal impact it had in the last. The 1/2 time score flattered us, we were simply getting flogged across the field. JDG and Crisp were 2 of our better players by position and moving them only exposes others in the positions they are moved from. And we were down 2 rotations for much of the game so they were always going to finish stronger. Leaving the JDG to the midfield move till the last may well have minimized the depth of the flogging.

Average differentials VS opposition. (Team ranking).

A brief summary.

*We're kicking and marking more which seems to confirm we have implemented a change in execution of our game plan.
*Despite kicking the ball more our metres gained and inside 50 stat differential has fallen. This appears to indicate we are more risk averse this season.
*We remain in the top 4 for contested possession differential but have slipped from 2nd to 4th.
*Our clearance statistics have fallen across all 3 categories. We were 1st for overall and stoppage clearance differential in 2018 but that has fallen to 11th and 8th in those areas.
*We were 1st in tackle differential in 2018. We are now ranked 12th.

Kicks.
2018 +7.3 (6th)
2019 +20.3 (2nd) *Cats rank 3rd +19.1, *Giants rank 1st +32.1, *Eagles rank 9th -0.2
Handballs.
2018 +22.8 (1st)
2019 +11.1 (6th) *Cats rank 10th -0.7, *Giants rank 2nd +24.4, *Eagles rank 18th -30.9
Contested possessions
2018 +9.4 (2nd)
2019 +4.9 (4th) *Cats rank 2nd +11.6, *Giants rank 1st +13.0, *Eagles rank 16th -9.4
Uncontested possessions.
2018 +21 (1st)
2019 +24.7 (2nd) *Cats rank 8th +8.4, *Giants rank 1st +50.2, *Eagles rank 15th -20.8
Effective disposals.
2018 +25 (1st)
2019 +27.8 (2nd) *Cats rank 4th +20.8, *Giants rank 1st +48.1, *Eagles rank 15th -22.4
Metres Gained.
2018 +281.1 (3rd)
2019 +163.7 (3rd) *Cats rank 1st +415.1, *Giants rank 2nd +322.2, *Eagles rank 13th -81.1
Clearances.
2018 +3.7 (1st)
2019 -0.6 (11th) *Cats rank 15th -2.7, *Giants rank 3rd +3.6, *Eagles rank 7th +2
Centre clearances.
2018 -0.7 (13th)
2019 -1.6 (17th)
*Cats rank 11th -0.5, *Giants rank equal 1st +1.7, *Eagles rank 16th -1.5
Stoppage clearances.
2018 +4.5 (1st)
2019 +1.1 (8th) *Cats rank 15th -2.2, *Giants rank 5th +1.9, *Eagles rank 2nd +3.5
Marks.
2018 -3.0 (11th)
2019 +13.6 (2nd) *Cats rank 4th +12.9, *Giants rank 1st +22.2, Eagles rank 7th +3.9
Marks Inside 50.
2018 +0.9 (7th)
2019 +2.5 (3rd) *Cats rank 5th +1.9, *Giants rank 1st +3.1, Eagles rank 12th -0.6
Intercepts.
2018 0 (9th)
2019 +2 (5th) *Cats rank 4th +3.1, *Giants rank 3rd +3.6, Eagles rank 17th -3.1
Tackles
2018 +8.8 (1st)
2019 -0.9 (12th) *Cats rank 13th -1.1, *Giants rank 5th +4, *Eagles rank 6th +3.7
Tackles Inside 50.
2018 0 (8th)
2019 -0.6 (10th) *Cats rank 12th -1.6, *Giants rank 3rd +2.6, *Eagles rank 11th -0.8
Inside 50's.
2018 +4.5 (4th)
2019 +1.6 (9th) *Cats rank 8th +2, *Giants rank 7th +2.1, *Eagles rank 15th -2.9
Goal assists.

2018 +1.5 (5th)
2019 +0.6 (5th) *Cats rank 1st +4.5, *Giants rank 2nd +2.8, *Eagles rank 3rd +1.1
1%
2018 +0.8 (8th)
2019 -1.2 (11th) *Cats rank 4th 5.4, *Giants rank 5th +5.2, *Eagles rank 3rd +6.1

Some important stats that seem to be overlooked are ground ball retention inside f50 ( we rank 16th iirc) and overall shots on goal.

Imo we have been actually quite good in points against for a few seasons often under 80 average, but equally points for is painfully low for many years our attacking systems are what let us down both in movement to and into the f50 and also the structure and players who reside inside 50.

Didnt realise they were won in June/July. So based on that sitting second over half way through the season sets us up nicely

stop whinging
I don’t remember when I started whinging.

Happy for you to point out if I was but think I’ve been pretty positive about the team this year.

My point is people won’t be happy till we win the premiership so stop asking them to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back