Coach Grumpy

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Trevor Bayliss got the England job because of his exploits as a white ball coach, otherwise Jason Gillespie would have been offered the chance to replace Peter Moores in the aftermath to England's horrific 50 over World Cup campaign in 2015.

England's test side wasn't brilliant while Bayliss was in charge but I don't think ECB gave too much of a sh*t about that. Their white ball teams were excellent. They went extremely close to winning the 2016 Twenty20 World Cup and fortuitously won the 2019 50 over World Cup.

Justin Langer is no certainty to get a new contract, Ricky Ponting may not want the job at this stage of his life, CA might not want Dizzy and Bayliss has said that the only national team he would coach at this stage of his career is Australia. Linking Bayliss to the job of Australian coach is pretty easy.

Around the Wicket

Club Legend
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
T20 World Cup was a decent achievement because we have generally sucked at T20 but we played our best players this time around which helped. The Ashes I was always expecting 5-0 or a dominate series so tbh they haven't done anything great yet, it wouldn't surprise me if we lose all 3 series against Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India.

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Trevor Bayliss used his pre-test column in the UK's Daily Mail to distance himself from speculation linking him with Justin Langer's job.

''I see a couple of English papers have suggested I might be a candidate to become Australia coach at some point, but I can honestly say that’s the first I’ve heard about it. There’s a bloke in Justin Langer who is still very much in the job, and seems to be going pretty well, to say the least, in winning the T20 World Cup and Ashes in the last few months.''

Aussie_boy

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
It would take a ridiculous offer to get Ponting as coach based off what he's said in the past.

cricketnut14

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
it's all about the cattle at your disposal and the harmony/team environment created in the dressing room.

let's face it - back in the day john buchanan didn't have to do much.

would love someone like a ponting who comes from a breeding ground of success or a steve waugh who was ruthless, but i'm not sure it matters too much.
i just want it to be someone from our own backyard as we have enough resources and the mickey arthur experience wasn't great.

many ex players seem to jump in the comm box these days.

Freo Big Fella

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2003
The great wide north
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
Trevor Bayliss used his pre-test column in the UK's Daily Mail to distance himself from speculation linking him with Justin Langer's job.

''I see a couple of English papers have suggested I might be a candidate to become Australia coach at some point, but I can honestly say that’s the first I’ve heard about it. There’s a bloke in Justin Langer who is still very much in the job, and seems to be going pretty well, to say the least, in winning the T20 World Cup and Ashes in the last few months.''

Easy statement for him to make given he's got leak-happy Cricket Australia officials and compliant journos doing his work for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad