Coach Grumpy

Remove this Banner Ad

Things do seem to be building towards a nice, spectacular implosion once we start losing series in the subcontinent. Especially with all the players and staff locked up together in bio bubbles with no chance to let any steam off.

I don't think Langer and Cummins are on the same page and I suspect CA will back the young captain over the aging coach.
As they should. Like Hayden, M Waugh, Warne, Lee and McGrath from that great 2000 era team, Langer might be better off not drinking as much of his own bathwater in the future.

If you base any contract extension (for the Head Coach of the Australian Cricket Team or anything else) based on what it looks like on paper, you're in for a world of pain.

I disagree in this instance.

Langer clearly achieves results, is it worth giving that up because a few players don't like being held accountable or being told what to do? I don't think so.

Langer clearly achieves results, is it worth giving that up because a few players don't like being held accountable or being told what to do? I don't think so.
If you only look at results, you're not seeing what got the results. I actually think he should be retained, but I'm very open to a decision that suggest the success was in spite of Langer, not because of him.

If it's true that CA told him he might have to reapply for his job, it's insulting,

Why? It's basically standard. Lets not forget there have been some poor results too...he managed to get smacked by the Indian reserves at home last summer. His selections that entire series were baffling and that is on the coach to put it bluntly.

If you only look at results, you're not seeing what got the results. I actually think he should be retained, but I'm very open to a decision that suggest the success was in spite of Langer, not because of him.
In the vast majority of cases, that's how contracts get renewed.
As most will say, it's a win, loss industry.

I think the players in both AFL and cricket have become a bit too precious these days.

Why? It's basically standard. Lets not forget there have been some poor results too...he managed to get smacked by the Indian reserves at home last summer. His selections that entire series were baffling and that is on the coach to put it bluntly.

and again when we lose he gets the blame but when we win its because of the players??

doesn't make sense to me

and again when we lose he gets the blame but when we win its because of the players??

doesn't make sense to me

It is both gets credit this summer to a degree although playing Harris all summer is a negative mark. I don't see how giving him a short term deal is a bad option, 4 years is a long time as head coach anyway. Players may want some fresh ideas.

"Basically standard"?
No it's not.
It's nothing standard at all.

He's been there 4 years now and that's enough of a body of work to know if he can coach or not.

Can you imagine an AFL club asking someone like Damien Hardwick or Alastair Clarkson to interview for their job?

Turn it up.

It is both gets credit this summer to a degree although playing Harris all summer is a negative mark. I don't see how giving him a short term deal is a bad option, 4 years is a long time as head coach anyway. Players may want some fresh ideas.
So Harris is a negative mark.
So what about Boland, Jhye Richardson and Kwahaja?
They must be positive votes.

Pretty much everything the selectors did in the series turn to gold.
You're never going to get every selection right.
There's also 2 other selectors.

You must be one of the most negative, if not the most negative poster on here.

"Basically standard"?
No it's not.
It's nothing standard at all.

He's been there 4 years now and that's enough of a body of work to know if he can coach or not.

Can you imagine an AFL club asking someone like Damien Hardwick or Alastair Clarkson to interview for their job?

Turn it up.

There are obviously other things at play that pure performance. He might have been asked how was he going to improve the players-coach relationship. Is that not fair? I'd say it is considering none are really endorsing the coach. The last thing you want is to give him a 4 year deal and for that to break down even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Harris is a negative mark.
So what about Boland, Jhye Richardson and Kwahaja?
They must be positive votes.

Pretty much everything the selectors did in the series turn to gold.
You're never going to get every selection right.
There's also 2 other selectors.

You must be one of the most negative, if not the most negative poster on here.

Last summer was an even bigger negative mark. This year was fine, aside from Harris and having Marsh anywhere near a test squad off slog cricket. He didn't show last summer he was able to learn from his mistakes early in the series, you always felt the whole series was just a matter if "when" India would win not if. Bare in mind this really is a shocking England side and the WC whilst lovely was a lot about who won the toss not sure we can give that part to the coach.

Look would I give him an extension, yes, but not 3-4 years. I'd give him 18 months, so with the 6 months left he has a 2 year deal. That gets him to the Ashes in England. That's more than a fair compromise.

There are obviously other things at play that pure performance. He might have been asked how was he going to improve the players-coach relationship. Is that not fair? I'd say it is considering none are really endorsing the coach. The last thing you want is to give him a 4 year deal and for that to break down even more.
I've got no problems with CA having conversations like that with him.
I'd suggest it's pretty much par for the course for all coaches (AFL included) to have discussions with the board.

But that is entirely different to being asked to interview for the job.
CA have come out and said it wasn't true so I guess it's a moot point.

I've got no problems with CA having conversations like that with him.
I'd suggest it's pretty much par for the course for all coaches (AFL included) to have discussions with the board.

But that is entirely different to being asked to interview for the job.
CA have come out and said it wasn't true so I guess it's a moot point.

My gut feeling is they will meet in the middle, Langer wants 3-4, CA wants 1. Give him 2 years and that gets him to the Ashes and the next Auusie summer. By then it's 6 years in the job that' a long stint.

I get the idea behind Harris though - an opener who is going to be around for a few years. I suspect Pukovski's concussion issues derailed Plan A

I get the idea behind Harris though - an opener who is going to be around for a few years. I suspect Pukovski's concussion issues derailed Plan A

Won’t derail another thread but what was stopping picking Hunt or Street especially at home?

Won’t derail another thread but what was stopping picking Hunt or Street especially at home?

Why be so negative,personally like most posters I tire of your constant attack on Harris.Most of the tests he got a start but still think we should stick with him in the squad at least.Hunt /Street lets see how they go in the remaining shield games.Now is not the time to experiment on these upcoming overseas trips.

So isnt langer also responsible for losing two series at home in three summers including a home series to india's reserves? or does he only get credit for the wins?

If cummins doesnt want to work with langer then this is already a done deal, this is pat cummins team not langers the coach is there to support the skippers vision for the side not the other way round and from everything that keeps getting leaked its a sizeable amount of players across multiple formats who are unhappy with langer not one or two disgruntled players in an otherwise content camp.

If reports are wrong and cummins and the senior players want langer then thats fine give him a long term deal right now or if they dont find somebody else, i think we all agree trying to give langer short term deals is crazy though as its basically admitting its a broken marriage but they want to see if it magically fixed itself under the intense spot light of tours to asia which would be a very CA path to take as it the very worst all of the paths.

Last edited:
So isnt langer also responsible for losing two series at home in three summers including a home series to india's reserves? or does he only get credit for the wins?

If cummins doesnt want to work with langer then this is already a done deal, this is pat cummins team not langers the coach is there to support the skippers vision for the side not the other way round and from everything that keeps getting leaked its a sizeable amount of players across multiple formats who are unhappy with langer not one or two disgruntled players in an otherwise content camp.

So if Australia has a couple of bad losses if they sack langer does that then mean that Cummins should be sacked? Because it’s his team?

So if Australia has a couple of bad losses if they sack langer does that then mean that Cummins should be sacked? Because it’s his team?

Langer wasnt sacked for those losses though neither was paine, but you cant say langer owns the ashes and 20/20 wins then say he isnt as responsible for the two home losses.

p.s. how do you feel about the reports that have been coming out about langers massively reduced role the last year that has actually coincided with improved results?

Finch and cummins both refused to endorse langer to be retained, hazlewood specifically praised the assistant coaches while talking about langers reduced role but what you think all these leaked stories are just part of some vendetta against langer with no truth to them? the players and their people are the ones leaking these stories about langers reduced role.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back