Opinion Coach: James Hird

Essendon supporters only - Should James Hird be sacked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want him sacked as I think our form is a product of the WADA appeal (though I do think he has limitations as a coach). I sort of hope he walks away, amicably, at the end of the season though.

It's not an attack at peoples opinions, it's a legitimate question from a public poll. If the situation was reversed and we'd won 6 on the trot the question would be asked of the no's.

Why, exactly, would I change my mind?

I have stated previously that nothing will change until the end of the year, and, given we expect WADA to finally, finally be done by next season, it is next season he will be judged on.

Wouldn't change it at all. How you can all just ignore that elite level sport requires very little to go wrong mentally for a team to drop off the cliff is beyond me.

How you all underestimate the damage the WADA appeal has had is beyond me. Clarkson, Lyon, etc could be our coaching panel and it wouldn't make a difference.

You all talk game plans and it's a joke because regardless of the game plan our players wouldn't be following that. Add no pre-season, interrupted season with injuries and the likelihood we're tanking to some degree and it makes most posts here and game day threads a joke.

I look at the difference between 2013 and now and the football department is the biggest difference. I suspect Bomber is correct and the way that is run including Craig is a large part of the problem. Considering the morale around the place must be bad the last thing you need is a process oriented bureaucrat who creates multiple pointless meetings that everyone is required to attend. If it's not fun anyway that makes it worse.

Wouldn't sack him until we had a replacement lined up first and foremost, but yes, long term he's obviously not the man if this year is any indication. It's just a matter of whether the club will cut and run early or give him a chance to prove himself in 2016 in what will probably be far more favourable circumstances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to go, you can not keep losing by 60 plus. Would be different if they where losing but looked interested but they are not.
There are many factors but at the end of the day Hird is at the middle of them.
Move him on this week, Harvey can coach the rest of the season.

And don't give me WADA/ASADA.

We have had huge losses under him every single season he coached, even before the saga. We've had periods of complete hopelessness, also know as the slide.

He coached the most embarrassing season (until this year) in 2012.

He has zero idea.

Hird doesn't coach in 2014 and all of a sudden, no big losses. Go figure

i wouldnt change my vote but I don't think he will survive and I'm starting to become ok with that.

I don't think his a bad coach and the talk of gameplan is ridiculous.. a s**t gameplan doesn't make you competitive with hawthorn under any circumstance. the WADA appeal is the main reason we have fallen off the cliff and the players obviously aren't anywhere near switched on enough to be competitive in the afl.

I tend to think Hird is as mentally broken as the players ATM and that has led to performances like we seen today. the footy club would be an awful place to go everyday and a clean out of the footy department is most likely needed, but hopefully the review is thorough enough to come up with a good direction to move forward.

if hird doesn't survive the offseason I'd love to have Brendan Bolton on board but I'm guessing Carlton will snap him up.

As usual Hird was very calm & composed in the presser but did not directly answer a question about whether he might consider moving on at seasons end, saying he was only thinking about the players at the moment.

Question to people saying that he shouldn't be sacked at the end of the season. Are you prepared to give him at least an extra two seasons after this one?

The way I see it Essendon are in a very similar situation to Carlton with MM. You either sack him now or you give him 2-3 seasons to rebuild. The absolute worst thing for the club would be to give him 1 year and reassess at the end of 2016.

As usual Hird was very calm & composed in the presser but did not directly answer a question about whether he might consider moving on at seasons end, saying he was only thinking about the players at the moment.

Did Hird put his hand up to say he was injured for 2001 gf? Did Hird reduce his pay rise at the end of 2001 when the AFL changed the veteran rules so we could keep the list together?

The answer to whether he'll step down at this point is the same. I'm not having a complete go at the bloke. Its in his DNA to think he can take it on no matter what his position is. I think we should put him out of his misery, but lets wait till the end of the review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back