Coach Coach most under pressure in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

So pretty much the same as the bombers with worsfold then eh?...

except freo at least had the balls to actually do it and move on straight away instead of the sham arrangement the bombers came up with worsfold and rutten masquerading as a “succession” plan

LOL

lol..yeah mate.

keep on truckin the purple way

whatever ...I’ve got more important things to think about.

All the best with Longmuir. He’s a great fit for Freo.

Ross was toxic to your club.
yes whatever..... I hope the best for Justin Longmuir too.

I actually wish the best for Ben Rutten for your club too. Liked him as a player and I hope he brings in the same toughness and competitive nature to your players like he did in his playing days as a crow player. Some strange reason defenders make good coaches.

You can debate about Ross Lyon being toxic to the club. But you can't debate that he got Freo to their 1st ever grand final.

It doesn’t follow that he’s a great coach because he tries things that aren’t conventional or things that the opposing coach didn’t plan for.
Choosing to not play a Ruck in a final against a great Ruckman?
Choosing to not play an AA full back against the biggest marking type fwd in a final, instead to play him in an untried position.
Everybody expects the Cats to win on the ground they train on because of it’s shape, a shape that wouldn’t ever be allowed to be replicated.
But I don’t think he’s going to be under pressure.
#ScottFree

Unfortunately it wasn't untried. Scott had tried it many times, including in finals. Failed every time.

It won't stop him doing it again though.

John Longmire.

Sydney finished bottom 4 last year and their list doesnt look exciting. Reckon the SCG fortress will be conquered quite a few times by visiting teams this season, with Longmire sacked mid-season.
Why was he selected as the All star coach then? Ken Hinkley easily number 1 at this stage.

Last edited:
Don’t discount the pressure (wont be sacked obviously)on Adam Simpson - has easily the best list in his time at the club at his disposal and the best and most balanced list in the AFL.

Loaded up for a flag by getting Kelly (as they should have) but sacrificed a fair bit of the future for it.

I don’t think so. West Coast unexpectedly won a premiership in 2018 - only one season ago - when most ‘experts’ didn’t have them making the top eight.

Simpson is also contracted until 2022.

The Eagles have a good list but it only takes one or two serious injuries and your season can be disrupted quite quickly.

honestly anything short of a flag this year or next and I think the club would be bitterly disappointed

Chris Scott criticism is a bit odd, 2011 has been changed in hindsight to be part of an on going domination from 07, when most people thought the cats would drop off in 2011 after being smashed in the 2010 prelim and losing Ablett to GC.

If geelong don’t change coach at the end of 2010, they wouldn’t of won in 2011.

Most pressure of being sacked would be Goodwin and Hinkley

John Longmire.

Sydney finished bottom 4 last year and their list doesnt look exciting. Reckon the SCG fortress will be conquered quite a few times by visiting teams this season, with Longmire sacked mid-season.
Swans record at home the last two years is 50/50 at best. Signed on until 2023. Not really under pressure when list is going through a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris Scott criticism is a bit odd, 2011 has been changed in hindsight to be part of an on going domination from 07, when most people thought the cats would drop off in 2011 after being smashed in the 2010 prelim and losing Ablett to GC.

If geelong don’t change coach at the end of 2010, they wouldn’t of won in 2011.

Most pressure of being sacked would be Goodwin and Hinkley

Really thoughtful Chris Scott take IMO, he can have his criticisms for recent finals failures but managing the team through 2010 to 2011 flag shouldn't be one of them.

Scott is a good coach.... but he has had a great list at his disposal. He has won one preliminary final in a decade of top 6 finishes. It is starting to become a problem, surely.

Yes it is. However, our list is not really that good, a lot of top end talent and some pretty average fillers in there.

The crux of this is what are the goals? When Scott came on board he disclosed that our goal was to play finals every year. If that is the goal, then he achieves that 8/9 times so in no danger.

But many Cats fans are well over this, and the same is coming this year, all the H&A is irrelevant, it comes down to one key game at the end which Scott seems to inevitably * up - case in point the Richmond final last year.

Yes it is. However, our list is not really that good, a lot of top end talent and some pretty average fillers in there.

The crux of this is what are the goals? When Scott came on board he disclosed that our goal was to play finals every year. If that is the goal, then he achieves that 8/9 times so in no danger.

But many Cats fans are well over this, and the same is coming this year, all the H&A is irrelevant, it comes down to one key game at the end which Scott seems to inevitably fu** up - case in point the Richmond final last year.

I think Geelong under Scott is too affording in various ways to the best players. He plays them so they are the best, week in week out. He doesn't ever ask them to sacrifice their game for the team.

His coaches votes are so predictable, even in losses he gives votes to his fav champs.

Guthrie and others should have had more midfield time. Selwood should know another position (his move to the wing last year was token).

I think Scott is a bit of an elitist big head in a way that holds Geelong back. But that is part of Geelong's culture - you guys love your champions.

Finals or bust for Hinkley. You don't get any more under pressure than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back