Remove this Banner Ad

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port fans seem to not rate him despite his results

What results?

He has never made a GF like Cameron or Buckley and has won as many finals as Goodwin since 2014.

Not that I think he is the most under pressure, but the idea he's delivered more than the other coaches listed is false.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On a slight tangent here

Was 2020 the most experienced coaching group ever?

We had 7 premiership coaches. And several very experienced non-premiership coaches.

Seems like coaches aren't getting the chop as quickly as they were 10 or 15 years ago

I think 2007/2008 probably has more premiership coaches at the times. I counted 9. Don’t quote me on that.

By memory still had Malthouse, Lethal, Sheed and Pagan from the top of my head with 3 more coaches added after different teams won 04,05,06,07.

PJays

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think 2007/2008 probably has more premiership coaches at the times. I counted 9. Don’t quote me on that.

By memory still had Malthouse, Lethal, Sheed and Pagan from the top of my head with 3 more coaches added after different teams won 04,05,06,07.

Yeah fair point, that does sound about right.

It's also all the coaches with 5+ yrs but no premiership- Buckley, Cameron, Ratten, Hinkley.

Fagan and Goodwin have a few years behind them too. Just my feeling that clubs are more invested with long term thinking and more likely to keep coaches for longer periods these days. I don't have time to calculate but I'd love to know: average total years coached, and average total years of tenure at current club from 2020, and compare those 2 numbers to say, 2000 and 2010. Could be wrong but suspect longer now.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep and playing of Dunkley in the ruck was stupid and has subsequently played a part in Josh wanting out

Tries to be too far outside the box at times. The versatility mantra he's spruiked since the grand final win hasn't been a success either. Often plays players out of their best positions for no real reason. I get the feeling he still has no idea what the best 22 looks like.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
If Dimma feels the heat strongly to bring home 3 in a row, and if that pressure cascades down to the players, then watch out. Dimma and tiges have shown great response to pressure, they love it.

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
On a slight tangent here

Was 2020 the most experienced coaching group ever?

We had 7 premiership coaches. And several very experienced non-premiership coaches.

Seems like coaches aren't getting the chop as quickly as they were 10 or 15 years ago
Certainly not this year given that sacking contracted coaches is an expensive past -time and the AFL would have taken a very dim view in 2020 of clubs needlessly splashing out cash. Similar considerations are likely to apply next season so it's unlikely anyone is going to get sacked until later in the season and probably then only if their current contract expires at year's end.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
The Pies are still performing reasonably well on the park but something is a bit stinky behind the scenes at Collingwood that may put a target on Buckleys back.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
People saying "Buckley is in trouble if Collingwood miss the finals", are you tipping Collingwood to miss the finals in 2021? If so, why?

Backline is Elite however they're inability to attract a gun tall forward ( sorry but Cox having 6 good games a season does not count) , Sidebottom and Pendles do not appear to have any elite level ball users to replace them , in their defense their ball using ability is next level and would be very very hard for any team to replace, and they don't have too many games left in them. Treloar and Stephenson essentially being told to leave, DeGoey can't seem to add consistency to his moments of WTFWT brilliance and that is all on the field.
There appears to be something a little stinky behind the scenes there at the moment and that also may have some affect them not making finals.

a_fighting_fury

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Yarra Park
AFL Club
Richmond
What results?

He has never made a GF like Cameron or Buckley and has won as many finals as Goodwin since 2014.

Not that I think he is the most under pressure, but the idea he's delivered more than the other coaches listed is false.

If you put his results on a graph he’s on an upward curve, and I think that’s what’s giving him some kudos.

2020 AFL PREMIERS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

reg_lower91

Premiership Player
May 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Watsonia F.C.
You have to be taking the piss ..... surely ??

Absolutely not. Internal expectations this year were to have made finals and we missed. If we miss again next year, there's no doubt in my mind that we'll be looking for a new coach. The board won't gamble, they'll take matters in to their own hands.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Absolutely not. Internal expectations this year were to have made finals and we missed. If we miss again next year, there's no doubt in my mind that we'll be looking for a new coach. The board won't gamble, they'll take matters in to their own hands.

If that was the internal expectation, then they shouldn't have appointed Teague in the first place.

2020 was his first full season as senior coach, to fling him at the end of 2021 would mean those who appointed him have made a gross error in judgement. More than likely they got caught up in the "Teague Train" hysteria and thought it would cost them memberships if they didn't.

Either way, sacking Teague next year should also mean that some of the administration has to go as well.

Virus

I’m pretty good looking
Oct 24, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
If Ken Hinkley misses finals does he get sacked? For mine it’s Leon Cameron and it should’ve been done years ago.

If Ken Hinkley misses finals does he get sacked? For mine it’s Leon Cameron and it should’ve been done years ago.
Their fans will march him out they already dint like him despite making finals

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Well we did have Freo debuting with water polo tactics under Neesham, so stranger things have happened.

But for mine, Goodwin is under the most pressure.
2nd place: whoever replaces Goodwin.

Neesham had successfully coached in the WAFL, 2 flags as a player coach & 2 flags as a coach.

Post trade period I think there’s more pressure on bucks and Chris scott

cats going all in so if they go backwards goodbye chris

bucks managed his players poorly so if they implode also goodbye

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Simon Goodwin under a fair amount of pressure. Miss the finals and he’s gone. And his replacement possibly sitting next to him in the box. Yze will be in contention for a senior job at some point.

Back