Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leon Cameron (2020)

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Stuart Dew (unsure about contract)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond will be out of the 8 at the half way mark, their fairweather supporters will be once again burning their membership cards and baying for blood.....Hardwick gone by the end of the season

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Hardwick has more credits in the bank than your bloke.A Premiership to mention only one....

So expectation is at least one win in a final?
Obviously injuries come in to it.

Need to win at least one final, yes. And that is way easier said than done.

He escaped much criticism (surprisingly) over the first two months of the season. He won't be so fortunate with another underwhelming start to 2019.

1. Which coach is under the pump? Lyon, Hinkley, Richardson, (In reverse order)
  2. Which coaches are at risk? (Cameron and Bolton will be under pressure but it's just a media storm)
  3. Which coach is already out the door? Richardson (Will be replaced by Robert Harvey or Brett Ratten)

Hardwick has more credits in the bank than your bloke.A Premiership to mention only one....
I thinkhe does have pressure. The pressure if trying to meet the expectations of a big club with 100k members. Things could be a lot worse though.

I'll bet he's sleeping easier than Longmire right now. Perhaps pondering how he's ever going to coach a team to beat Leon's in a final?
Longmire is an interesting one.
Swans fans and media expectation quite low at the moment. Most people expecting an 8-12 season finish in 2019.
So the knives aren't out for him and expectation are not high. So not much pressure.

However, plenty are asking if there is a succession plan in place.
Entering his 9th season as coach now.
Might be a natural/mutual end to his time at the Swans in the not too distant future.

Would not be surprised if a few AFL clubs are talking to his Manager about what he wants to do in 2020.

Swans fans and media expectation quite low at the moment. Most people expecting an 8-12 season finish in 2019.
So the knives aren't out for him and expectation are not high. So not much pressure.

Might be a natural/mutual end to his time at the Swans in the not too distant future.

Would not be surprised if a few AFL clubs are talking to his Manager about what he wants to do in 2020.
He is a flag winning coach.

There are others who arent, so I can imagine that a few clubs would be looking into his services.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pressure means different things

If you mean pressure to keep your job - then sure there a few that have credits in the bank (my clubs as an example)

However - there’s pressure to deliver a premiership - and that lies heavily with the teams at the top end
True but there is a big 'credit in the bank' culture in the AFL.

Beveridge for example was able to start a re-build with young kids in 2017 and 2018. A luxury he would not have had if he didnt have that 2016 Flag in the bank.

Your fella has banked plenty. Not saying you need to re-build, but if you did - most people would trust that he knew what he was doing and give him a few years to work on it.

Also why I think Lyon and Hinkley are going to come under some serious scrutiny. No flag. Credits in the bank are running out.

12 wins and a % of 105 in 2018. That is an ok year. Not great but not bad.

So expectation is at least one win in a final?
Obviously injuries come in to it.
14 wins would be a good year. Anything more than 14 and you are flag contenders.
Had a great off-season last year and tanked the start of the season to see no improvement over 2017. If we don't make any progress for a second straight year, the blow-torch absolutely needs to be on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After 9 years a flag, 2 GF's and consistent being in contention, you'd hope so. I expect when his time comes it will be genial and likely mutual.

Generally the impromptu sacking of coaches is a dying trend in the AFL anyway. It doesn't seem to help.

For all the criticism of the AFL I think it leads rather follows these kind of trends in other codes. I avoid NRL but have some interest in Rugby. The need to do a character assignation on Wallabues coaches before every change saddens me.

Good question.
44 games coached. 10 wins. 22.7%.
The media is now expecting the Lions to win more games. Expectations are up.
So I think he needs to start winning some more games. You cant use the 'young list' thing forever.
Not saying he needs to make the 8 and win 13 games. He should be aiming for 8-9 wins. Anything less and questions will be asked.
He is also only 2 years into it. Probably topped his list off this trade period. I agree we need more wins next season. But wouldn't put him in the Bolton Richo category.

Pressure means different things

If you mean pressure to keep your job - then sure there a few that have credits in the bank (my clubs as an example)

However - there’s pressure to deliver a premiership - and that lies heavily with the teams at the top end
Good post. The pressure is coming from the objective each club wants to set each year, be it a flag or a rise out of the bottom 4. Bolton has a huge amount of "pressure" on his shoulders as a first time coach for a club who hasn't improved much following last season. However, his job does not seem to be at risk due to the expectations on his team and the confidence the board has shown. Richardson and Hinkley are possible contenders for most at risk coach, but both teams have been in a sort of quasi contention for a flag with decent finishes in 2017. I'd wager the pressure was/is on them to get the best out of the team now with looking for a new coach being the plan b.

He is also only 2 years into it. Probably topped his list off this trade period. I agree we need more wins next season. But wouldn't put him in the Bolton Richo category.
Brisbane have the same pressure as everyone else in the competition. The need to perform. I don’t think needing more wins is significant pressure - my team needs more wins this year but I wouldn’t say Dimma is facing the sack if we don’t do so.

The coach who should be under the most pressure is Ross Lyon but they'll manage another 7-8 win season off the back of an imbalanced H&A draw that sees them play 10 games a year at home against interstate sides and the heat will be kept off him again. If Freo played in Melbourne, they'd struggle to win 4. Going there was genius for his career. He'll always manage to sit in the middle of the ladder.

Why don't Port and Geelong just swap Chris Scott and Ken Hinkley. Both teams need to add a new dimension to their game and both coaches appear to have taken these teams as far as they can.

Scott is the most likely to be under the pump early, I think. Cats have sold their future for the now. If it starts going pear-shaped early on, he'll be under a lot of pressure (externally).

Cats are so conservative they wont make a decision, though.

Back