Coaches Votes 2017 - Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Total AFLCA Coaches Votes for the year, just for St Kilda players, after Round 20:

60 - Ross (9 games voted in)
35 - Steven (6)
34 - Billings (6)
22 - Roberton (6)
14 - Riewoldt (3), Steele (2)
12 - Longer (4)
11 - Carlisle (2), Dunstan (4), Membrey (5)
10 - Montagna (2), Stevens (3)
8 - Webster (3)
6 - Geary (2)
4 - Bruce (1)
2 - Brown (1), Gresham (1)
1 - Sinclair (1)

Total AFLCA Coaches Votes for the year, just for St Kilda players, after Round 20:

60 - Ross (9 games voted in)
35 - Steven (6)
34 - Billings (6)
22 - Roberton (6)
14 - Riewoldt (3), Steele (2)
12 - Longer (4)
11 - Carlisle (2), Dunstan (4), Membrey (5)
10 - Montagna (2), Stevens (3)
8 - Webster (3)
6 - Geary (2)
4 - Bruce (1)
2 - Brown (1), Gresham (1)
1 - Sinclair (1)

This is often a pretty good indicator for the B&F.

Clearly Ross is favourite at this point, coaches' votes in 9 out of 20 games means he must have been pretty good.

Steven, Billings, and Robbo behind him is pretty expected.

Riewoldt and Steele next, but both with a small number of games voted in which means they've had blockbuster performances but maybe have been less consistent.

Whereas it's interesting that the next tier, especially Longer, Dunstan, Membrey, have had votes in 4 or 5 games. That suggests reasonably consistent years for those three. I don't think that's necessarily reflected by the popular belief? Certainly for Dunstan that's a nice surprise.

18 players in that list is a pretty good number.

FWIW these are my rankings after 19 games, based on my Bigfooty BnF votes:

1st - Ross
2nd - Billings
3rd - Roberton
4th - Carlisle
5th - Steele

Steven and Riewoldt after that.

FWIW these are my rankings after 19 games, based on my Bigfooty BnF votes:

1st - Ross
2nd - Billings
3rd - Roberton
4th - Carlisle
5th - Steele

Steven and Riewoldt after that.

Yeah, interesting that Carlisle is so low in the Coaches' Votes list. I would have had him up near your spot. Maybe it's the classic problem of being a defender.

I think Jack Steven has gone from fairly underrated in recent seasons to pretty overrated this season. He is kind of living off past reputations this year (even though he was previously underrated, if that makes sense :drunk:), and it's been his worst season for a few little while now. Hasn't been at his linebreaking/damaging best, and he's only had the one match winning game against GWS where as he usually as a few in him each season. Injured early and had a few hard tags, but it feels like his endeavour to win the ball and game isn't what it usually is.

I think Jack Steven has gone from fairly underrated in recent seasons to pretty overrated this season. He is kind of living off past reputations this year (even though he was previously underrated, if that makes sense :drunk:), and it's been his worst season for a few little while now. Hasn't been at his linebreaking/damaging best, and he's only had the one match winning game against GWS where as he usually as a few in him each season. Injured early and had a few hard tags, but it feels like his endeavour to win the ball and game isn't what it usually is.
Agree- been disappointing mostly this season, and we missed his run in many matches. Just doesn't seem to be hitting the contest full tilt and is kept off the ball a bit too easy by taggers. I presume no injury hassles, and I think he is plainly out of form. What to do?

Agree- been disappointing mostly this season, and we missed his run in many matches. Just doesn't seem to be hitting the contest full tilt and is kept off the ball a bit too easy by taggers. I presume no injury hassles, and I think he is plainly out of form. What to do?

I presume you are wrong. Hasn't been for for most of the year but like many players is fit and good enough to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back