Toast Coaches Votes 2019

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
Wonder if Langdon had the 2 from one coach or 1 from each side. My guess is the one coach gave him the two, and that was the Freo coaches - they seem to rate hard work over finess and Langdon did work hard.
I reckon Scott gave 2 votes to Kelly and only 3 to Fyfe.

Funkster

Rookie
Sep 24, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon Scott gave 2 votes to Kelly and only 3 to Fyfe.

Possible, what makes you say that?

As I posted, I think the interesting one is Langdon. The coaches votes pushed me to have a look at the stats - he had 28 possessions, 2nd highest overall. That's more than I would have thought to be honest. But 5 solid clangers as well which for him is a problem.

Those numbers aside, my guess is still going with Ross. I just think he rated his work-rate and putting himself in the right spots which, regardless of the kicking issues, he still manages to do.

longsuffreosupp

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2002
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Possible, what makes you say that?

As I posted, I think the interesting one is Langdon. The coaches votes pushed me to have a look at the stats - he had 28 possessions, 2nd highest overall. That's more than I would have thought to be honest. But 5 solid clangers as well which for him is a problem.

Those numbers aside, my guess is still going with Ross. I just think he rated his work-rate and putting himself in the right spots which, regardless of the kicking issues, he still manages to do.

I reckon 1 each. He also kicked a couple of goals

2 of his clangers were frees against, so from 28 touches he "poorly" disposed of it 3 times, with 544 metres gained. He had a very good game.

The criticism of Langdon is reaching epic levels, if he leaves he will be a big loss and very hard to replace. This year he has been an bordering on elite for his position, something we don't have too much of.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
2 of his clangers were frees against, so from 28 touches he "poorly" disposed of it 3 times, with 544 metres gained. He had a very good game.

The criticism of Langdon is reaching epic levels, if he leaves he will be a big loss and very hard to replace. This year he has been an bordering on elite for his position, something we don't have too much of.

That’s an unusually good DE performance for him though

Criticism has never been effort, metres gained, or finding the ball, but using it.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wonder if Langdon had the 2 from one coach or 1 from each side. My guess is the one coach gave him the two, and that was the Freo coaches - they seem to rate hard work over finess and Langdon did work hard.

Would think it was

5:4 Walters
3:5 Fyfe
4:3 Hill
2:0 Sandilands (probably from Scott)
0:2 Kelly (probably from Ross)
1:1 Langdon

That’s an unusually good DE performance for him though

Criticism has never been effort, metres gained, or finding the ball, but using it.
I get what people are criticising, it's the same thing that DP was criticised for. I think he is doing everything asked of him and that he will be very hard to replace if he leaves. He is never going to be Brad Hill with his disposal but that's not his role either. IMO, the chance of the hypothetical draft pick we get for him being a better player is very small.

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I get what people are criticising, it's the same thing that DP was criticised for. I think he is doing everything asked of him and that he will be very hard to replace if he leaves. He is never going to be Brad Hill with his disposal but that's not his role either. IMO, the chance of the hypothetical draft pick we get for him being a better player is very small.

Fair point!

Funkster

Rookie
Sep 24, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle

2 goals as well which for us, anybody who scores a couple of goals is doing OK.

He has a bit of target on his back now with some frustrating games recently, so perceptions tend to stick, including my own I must admit. I thought he had an OK game, but coaches votes don't lie and it was better than me and many thought.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots

That's quite a good comparison, hadn't thought of it like that, but the DP comparison is quite apt. I actually think Langdon is better than DP in was in many respects, at least as DP was towards the end. Though DP was a good kick at goal, and Langdon can be all over the place, Langdon is a bit taller and stronger in the body and can be put some reasonable defensive pressure on.

And yes, agree, he will be harder to replace than we think.

10 Nat Fyfe (FRE)
5 Ed Langdon (FRE)
4 Dan Hannebery (STK)
4 Jack Steven (STK)
3 Jack Billings (STK)
2 Sebastian Ross (STK)
2 Hunter Clark (STK)

Tally Name
83 Fyfe
45 B Hill
44 Walters
31 Mundy
17 Ryan
11 Wilson
11 Langdon
9 A Pearce
7 Taberner
6 Lobb
5 McCarthy
3 Tucker
3 Hogan
2 Hamling
2 Brayshaw
2 Sandi
1 Blakely
1 Conca
1 Darcy

Fyfe up to 3rd overall, 10 behind Bonts and 3 behind Kelly. Langdon's best voting game for the year and second behind his 2018 GCS game (6 votes with Fyfe taking the 10 in that one too).

10 Nat Fyfe (FRE)
5 Ed Langdon (FRE)
4 Dan Hannebery (STK)
4 Jack Steven (STK)
3 Jack Billings (STK)
2 Sebastian Ross (STK)
2 Hunter Clark (STK)

Tally Name
83 Fyfe
45 B Hill
44 Walters
31 Mundy
17 Ryan
11 Wilson
11 Langdon
9 A Pearce
7 Taberner
6 Lobb
5 McCarthy
3 Tucker
3 Hogan
2 Hamling
2 Brayshaw
2 Sandi
1 Blakely
1 Conca
1 Darcy

Fyfe up to 3rd overall, 10 behind Bonts and 3 behind Kelly. Langdon's best voting game for the year and second behind his 2018 GCS game (6 votes with Fyfe taking the 10 in that one too).
With the form of the last two weeks there is a real chance he comes in and pinches it. Very high chance he gets 10 votes next week.

What’s his odds for the Brownlow, I imagine he got 6 votes the last two weeks

With the form of the last two weeks there is a real chance he comes in and pinches it. Very high chance he gets 10 votes next week.

What’s his odds for the Brownlow, I imagine he got 6 votes the last two weeks
Someone posted in the gameday thread that he went from second favourite to outright favourite during the game.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
he has gone from $9 to $3.25 in the last two weeks
Coincidentally, I've been just having a look at Fyfe's AFL Player ratings for 2019.
So far, he has averaged 18.8 points a game. The same as his 2015 Brownlow win. He has also scored more than 20 in a game 8 times in 2019 ... the same as his 2015 season.
We really do get a bit complacent about just how good Fyfe is don't we.

If Freo had have won more games in 2019, he'd clearly be outright favourite for the Brownlow. His AFL Player ratings for 2019 are considerably better than the others currently in the first line of betting (ie. Neale, Dangerfield, Cripps, T.Kelly & Bontempelli).

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Got to give a shout out to Langdon too. Was largely overlooked by fans last week yet he picked up votes. Now this week he's right up there again, and hard to suggest anything other than he had good game.

Looks like he's going to finish the season on the up. Started the season well, not so good middle part and was being smashed on these forums (mostly rightly so IMHO) and hopefully form swinging back up.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Gee I hope we win 14+ game in a H&A season before Fyfe leaves his peak. If he plays 20+ and doesn't get suspended he'll win the brownlow easily. Good chance to crack 40 votes.
Why do we need to win 14+? Mr Fyfe is probably going to win the Brownlow this year AND we'll be lucky to win 11 games.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Why do we need to win 14+? Mr Fyfe is probably going to win the Brownlow this year AND we'll be lucky to win 11 games.

Don't think we need to win 14+, but it's just an odds thing. With the extremely limited and flawed 3-1 voting system, it's just a matter of course that more wins means more votes to better players.

Nature of losses matters too, in our case we've had a lot of close losses and that will help Fyfe. Compare the loss to the Hawks few weeks back where he was just as dominant, but will probably pick up the 1 vote (if any) simply because the bigger margin makes the Hawks players look comparatively better. Games like this round's give the umps an out to give those better players on the loosing team votes - we've had a few like that so the number of wins might be even less important this year at least.

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
Don't think we need to win 14+, but it's just an odds thing. With the extremely limited and flawed 3-1 voting system, it's just a matter of course that more wins means more votes to better players.
Fair enough. I still think he'll win this year.

Back