Toast Coaches Votes 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

If the Brownlow medal was awarded using the AFL player ratings on a 3-2-1 vote for the top 3 highest AFL Player ratings players in each home and away game, the current leaderboard after 21 rounds for 2019 would look like;
24: Fyfe
20: P.Cripps, Gawn
19: Dangerfield, Walters
18: Bontempelli
16: Merritt, Neale
13: Mundy

And please note, Fyfe has actually only played 17 games of 70%+ Time On Ground in 2019. He has been in the top3, 11 out of those 17 games.
The next best would probably be Patrick Cripps with 8 out of 18 games.

Also, off topic a bit, but I find it quite amazing that Freo has 3 of those top 9, plus Neale an ex Freo player.
Is that just coincidence or has Lyon/Freo aided their development?

Fyfe is historically one of the best at polling in losses. Unlike Shuey for example who has never polled in a losing game.
Actually, it is 69 of his 70 Brownlow votes are in winning results.
His one and only vote in a losing side was 2013 R13 HA vs WC.
But still a fascinating stat.

Also, off topic a bit, but I find it quite amazing that Freo has 3 of those top 9, plus Neale an ex Freo player.
Is that just coincidence or has Lyon/Freo aided their development?

Those who suggest Lyon/Freo don't develop players are just stuck in some myth of convenience.

That said, I think the relatively high poling with those three is an indication of our over-reliance on a few key players in recent years. If we can continue to improve, in coming years the number of players excelling through the season will flatten out ... I hope so anyway.

Actually, it is 69 of his 70 Brownlow votes are in winning results.
His one and only vote in a losing side was 2013 R13 HA vs WC.
But still a fascinating stat.

Fyfe got 3 votes last year when we were absolutely thrashed by Richmond at the MCG. Where do you get your stats from?

So far in Fyfe's career, he has averaged about 1 Brownlow vote per Home and Away game played (where Time On Ground is 70% or more).
The next closest to that in the modern era would be Dangerfield (Fyfe is 1.04, Dangerfield 0.91, Ablett 0.84, T.Mitchell 0.84, Swann 0.85, Judd 0.84).

We really don't appreciate just how good he is.

So far in Fyfe's career, he has averaged about 1 Brownlow vote per Home and Away game played (where Time On Ground is 70% or more).
The next closest to that in the modern era would be Dangerfield (Fyfe is 1.04, Dangerfield 0.91, Ablett 0.84, T.Mitchell 0.84, Swann 0.85, Judd 0.84).

The only guy in front of him career wise is Bunton who won 3 brownlows and only played in the VFL for 7 years so its a fair comparison.

Umps just love him.

The slime fans love to talk about Yeo being equal to Fyfe... Yeo has got 27 votes for his entire career. Less than Fyfe got in 2015 alone.

Hehe ... Yep. Part of me enjoys going in that Fyfe or Yeo thread and knowing I'm on a winning argument ... but then the other part of me says why bother. Those Yeo fanatics seriously believe he is better than Fyfe. You just can't debate with people that irrational.
I think Eagle supporters are so used to being told by their WA media that they are always the best and Fremantle are hopeless, so when they are confronted with Freo having the best player in the competition, they simply can't handle it. I mean, sadly they've got the wood on us in most areas, yet they just can't accept we have such a great player in Fyfe.
I don't think I've ever heard any of my West Coast supporter mates say a good thing about Fyfe, just plenty of criticisms and mostly verbatim rot they hear from the likes of 6pr.

Umps just love him.

The slime fans love to talk about Yeo being equal to Fyfe... Yeo has got 27 votes for his entire career. Less than Fyfe got in 2015 alone.
That argument annoys me more than anything else. Some of them really cant let us have that one thing better than them. No one outside an Eagles supporter would have the two anywhere near each other

Funnily enough that was Fyfe's first 10 vote game of the year.

His year so far;
Round 1 v Roos - 9 votes
Round 2 v Suns - 5 votes
Round 3 v Saints - Concussed mid game
Round 4 v WC - Out injured - Concussion
Round 5 v GWS - 8 votes
Round 6 v Dogs - 1 vote
Round 7 v Crows - 4 votes
Round 8 v Tigers - 9 votes
Round 9 v Bombers - 0 votes
Round 10 v Lions - 0 votes
Round 11 v Pies - 9 votes
Round 12 BYE
Round 13 v Port - 8 votes
Round 14 v Dees - 1 vote
Round 15 v Blues - 3 votes
Round 16 v WC - 0 votes
Round 17 v Hawks - 8 votes
Round 18 v Swans - Out injured - Elbow infection
Round 19 v Dogs - 0 votes
Round 20 v Cats - 8 votes
Round 21 v Saints - 10 votes.

Brownlow votes based on Coaches votes and Supercoach score
Round 12345678
AFLCA votes323
Supercoach31213
Round910111213141516
AFLCA votes3BYE20.5
Supercoach13BYE23
Round17181920212223TOTAL
AFLCA votes22320.5
Supercoach33328

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggested to a Wiggles supporter recently that by their measure of everything - the number of awards, cups etc won, that Yeo is not even a poor man's Fyfe because he hasn't won a Chas and most likely never will...

You should have seen the steam come out of his ears... He had nothing else to say!

I suggested to a Wiggles supporter recently that by their measure of everything - the number of awards, cups etc won, that Yeo is not even a poor man's Fyfe because he hasn't won a Chas and most likely never will...

You should have seen the steam come out of his ears... He had nothing else to say!
I can't believe that they have the temerity to say that Yeo is as good as Fyfe. Yeo isn't even the best player in their team, let alone as good as the best player in the league.

Hey Nat, next time you CBF tying your shoelaces, give Elliot Yeo a call. Have him bow down, and tie them for you.

I can't believe that they have the temerity to say that Yeo is as good as Fyfe. Yeo isn't even the best player in their team, let alone as good as the best player in the league.

Hey Nat, next time you CBF tying your shoelaces, give Elliot Yeo a call. Have him bow down, and tie them for you.

Commentators come out with some stupid stuff, but that is right up there - Garry Lyon killed any aspirations he might have of becoming a list manager with that 'Yeo best player in the game' madness. Imagine having the option the pick of any player in the AFL to start your team and you'd pick Yeo :drunk:

Yet the media keep banging on about Cripps when he beats up on some hapless team with no tagger...

Excuse me, Shuey may tie laces, Yeo is still on boot polish.

To finish off the year

vs Bombers
8 Adam Saad (ESS)
7 Michael Walters (FRE)
5 Ed Langdon (FRE)
3 Michael Hurley (ESS)
3 Zach Merrett (ESS)
2 Jake Stringer (ESS)
1 Dylan Shiel (ESS)
1 Darcy Parish (ESS)

vs Port
9 Ollie Wines (PORT)
6 Justin Westhoff (PORT)
5 Nat Fyfe (FRE)
4 Tom Jonas (PORT)
3 Charlie Dixon (PORT)
2 Darcy Byrne-Jones (PORT)
1 Xavier Duursma (PORT)

Tally Name
88 Fyfe
51 Walters
45 B Hill
31 Mundy
17 Ryan
16 Langdon
11 Wilson
9 A Pearce
7 Taberner
6 Lobb
5 McCarthy
3 Tucker
3 Hogan
2 Hamling
2 Brayshaw
2 Sandi
1 Blakely
1 Conca
1 Darcy

Most votes since 2015 (301 total).
Most vote getters since 2016 (19).
Fyfe's most votes since 2015, Walters most votes (next 38 in 2017), Walters 2019 tally equalled Neale's 2016 tally (which topped Freo), Brad Hill's most votes, Mundy's most votes since 2015, Ryan's most votes, Langdon's most votes, Pearce's most votes.

The disappointing
Cerra no votes (10 in one game last year)
Cox no votes (7 and 2 last year)
Blakely 1 vote game (3 in 2018 and 5 in 2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back