Remove this Banner Ad

Birthdate: March 30, 1972

Playing career
Geelong (1992-1995) 50 games
Carlton (1996-2003) 133 games

Coaching career
Essendon Football Club: Head of development 2010
Swan Districts Football Club: Colts coach/league assistant 2011
West Coast Eagles: Development coach 2012; backline coach 2014-2016 ; Midfield coach 2017; Contested ball coodinator 2018-present.

Hickmott earned his chance at a senior position after gathering experience across the country in a variety of coaching roles before joining the Eagles in 2012.

After leading the Eagles backline for two seasons Hickmott shifted his focus to the Eagles midfield unit alongside Dean Cox in 2017 before assuming his current role ahead of the 2018 season.

Never remember him playing for Geelong!

Not sure about this.

What I really don’t like is Mitchell heading back to the Hawks with very intimate knowledge of how our team operates, every weakness and strength. Of course the Hawks will have an upper hand in our next match, but would he pass on this information to other friends in football circles too in Victoria?

Thanks! Aside from not fully understanding what that title and role entails, I wasn't sure whether one should read anything into the fact he wasn't mentioned in today's announcement; perhaps not surprising or noteworthy at all if Hickmott's role is to continue unchanged.

Today's announcement was just ins and outs, really. Van Berlo stepping into Mitchell's spot, Rosa stepping into Van Berlo's spot, etc.

In regards to Hickmott, our contested ball numbers went up through the roof during the finals so don't see why he wouldn't continue in the role.

Not sure about this.

What I really don’t like is Mitchell heading back to the Hawks with very intimate knowledge of how our team operates, every weakness and strength. Of course the Hawks will have an upper hand in our next match, but would he pass on this information to other friends in football circles too in Victoria?
Clubs have access to that much footage and have that many staff members dedicated to opposition strategy that this isn't anything (new) to worry about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about this.

Hint: we like to use tall players.

Honestly it's not hard to figure out our gamestyle. The problem is how do you counter 'keepy-offs' with quality talls and strong contested marks? Richmond ultra pressure don't work.

Excuse my ignorance fellas, but would Chance Bateman be the only indigenous coaching staff member amongst the AFL teams atm?
According to Google:

Andy Lovell (Gold Coast), Roger Hayden (Fremantle) and Xavier Clarke (Richmond) are the only active Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander coaches in the AFL.

Watching him coach East Perth these last few years, I was not at all impressed, his game day coaching is woeful.

Interesting comment surrounding Webster, Monocle.

IIRC similar comments were made about Jamie Graham's game stuff at EP too.

Makes me wonder if they (Webster and Graham before) have appointed more for their development of players ability rather than game day acumen. If so, reckon the 'boys' need to experience good game day coaching as well as development programs.

Adding further to my confusion is that Graham was the nominal coach when Simmo has to fly home early in the season. IIRC when we played the Bulldogs.

Line coach at Perth for the last three years and working at the Wirrapanda Foundation as an Employment Coordinator.
He will be our Development Coach working with the Clubs Forward......... Liam and Willie would be beneficiaries of this appointment ( Particularly Ryan ).
Can add in Cameron to that mix too

Not sure about this.

goes both ways. If we dont change and improve we will slip regardless.

Not sure about this.

We should have tried to get Glass back out of the Hawks, then it would have been tit for tat?:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back