Coaching and off-field staff thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Australian basketball great Phil Smyth says he is not considering the Adelaide 36ers coaching job after he was approached about the role.

He is into his second season with the Brisbane Lions working with its players and coaches, led by Chris Fagan, and was on the panel which appointed new Crows coach Matthew Nicks last year.

“(Owner) Grant (Kelley) and I had a brief conversation but I’m unavailable, I’m committed to the Brisbane Lions and coaching overseas (in Indonesia), so this year it doesn’t work for me,” he said.

Australian basketball great Phil Smyth says he is not considering the Adelaide 36ers coaching job after he was approached about the role.

He is into his second season with the Brisbane Lions working with its players and coaches, led by Chris Fagan, and was on the panel which appointed new Crows coach Matthew Nicks last year.

“(Owner) Grant (Kelley) and I had a brief conversation but I’m unavailable, I’m committed to the Brisbane Lions and coaching overseas (in Indonesia), so this year it doesn’t work for me,” he said.
Interesting - I wonder what he actually does and how much time he commits to the role?

Hmmm, hope doesn't bring anything back from Indonesia and infect our boys
Or takes anything to Indonesia and starts a new hot spot there.

Many Asian countries view westerners as grubby, dirty people with poor hygiene who don’t shower or wash enough.

For instance, why wipe your bum with paper, when you can wash it clean with water and soap.

We might find certain practices in other cultures distasteful, is it any wonder that they might find some in us?

So theres an article saying many of the 90% of staff that have been temporary stood down have found work stacking shelves and...Working in the mines. The mines are...Ive worked there and they are GOOD money...What are the odds that we dont see many of those same people return? Even if they truly love the club, the money they would likely be getting would make it difficult for them to throw it in to return to the Gabba...

What happens if we come back and we have to hire all new staff?

Why can't we re-hire the ones we stood down....I bet they'd rather work for the Lions than Woolies..
They have at this stage only been stood down, not sacked.
So they still have a job to come back to as long as things do not change further, which is a possibility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Purely a report with no real basis, but if it did happen I assume Noble would take over. Which could be a shame as he has done such a great job as footy boss.

It would be strange seeing Greg Swann as the Broncos head honcho, can't see it happening but you never know they might throw a bucket load of money at him..... too good to refuse?

I'd like to see Swann here until we win a premiership. He's been key to getting us out of the state that we were in, and was finally someone we could comfortably get behind. Would be a great reward.

Boncos can bugger off. By them poaching him they are hoping the same turnaround will happen for them while simultaneously weakening their cross-code rival in one move.

I'd like to see Swann here until we win a premiership. He's been key to getting us out of the state that we were in, and was finally someone we could comfortably get behind. Would be a great reward.

Boncos can bugger off. By them poaching him they are hoping the same turnaround will happen for them while simultaneously weakening their cross-code rival in one move.
Yep, love to see him, Noble and Fagan win a flag along with long time Lions faithful ie. Zorko, Rich and Lester.

The governing body's impending job cuts follow football department redundancies across AFL clubs in recent weeks.

Any news of any Lions footy department redundancies in recent weeks?

AFL set for significant job cuts
  • Anna Harrington
AFL

CEO Gillon McLachlan has announced a major staff restructure at the AFL.

Close to 20 per cent of roles across the AFL nationally will disappear as part of a significant restructure due to the financial effects of COVID-19.
The AFL announced details of its planned restructure - with a new structure to come into effect on November 1 - on Monday, which included multiple changes to and reductions in its staffing.

The league had previously stood down about 80 per cent of its workforce in March.
"For our industry and game to emerge stronger from this ongoing COVID-19 challenge and the increased uncertainty we face over coming years, we need to significantly change our business model for not only the AFL but the wider football community," AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said.

"We have very clear priorities that we need to focus on, and I am confident that we have made the right decisions around the structure needed to deliver on those key priorities."
The governing body's impending job cuts follow football department redunancies across AFL clubs in recent weeks.
AFL executive Darren Birch is among those to depart while Ray Gunston will transition to an advisory role.
Steve Hocking, Travis Auld, Andrew Dillon, Tanya Hosch, Kylie Rogers, Sarah Fair, Walter Lee and Brian Walsh will serve on the executive under McLachlan.
"The reality is that we will lose talented, committed, passionate football people from our organisation and that is incredibly difficult, but this pandemic has forced every business, every family and every individual to take steps that no-one had planned," McLachlan said.
"The necessity of operating differently during the pandemic, along with experiencing a reduction in revenue, has forced us to explore and understand what we can do differently and what we are capable of, and also what we need to continue to achieve to keep the industry strong."
The changes will also see state offices in Victoria, NSW, Queensland, Tasmania and the Northern Territory integrated into the national organisation, with former North Melbourne coach Brad Scott to head up AFL Victoria.

The AFL also flagged a revised model for second-tier and elite junior competitions, while McLachlan said the league would look to appoint a new senior national talent diversity manager to lead Indigenous and multicultural talent programs.
Australian Associated Press

Remove this Banner Ad

Back