M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Fagan signed a 3 year contract didn't he? We need to offer him an extension ASAP. I can see Carlton and St.Kilda offering him huge money to go back home if their fortunes don't turn around by the end of the season or mid next season.

Fagan signed a 3 year contract didn't he? We need to offer him an extension ASAP. I can see Carlton and St.Kilda offering him huge money to go back home if their fortunes don't turn around by the end of the season or mid next season.

I think he will want a premiership of his own and will stay at least until after our first premiership.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Would Fagan really want to go through the past two seasons again. He'll want wins.

We should extend his contract soon but he won't leave for another bottom.club surely

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
Is Melb 'home' for Fages?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Wouldn’t be concerned at all. We are his legacy project. The culmination of a lifetime in football. He’s in it until the end.

Wouldn’t be concerned at all. We are his legacy project. The culmination of a lifetime in football. He’s in it until the end.
He said as much when Dom put it to him on The Roar Deal. He said he is in it for the long haul. Wants to finish what he started. So I would be astonished if he accepts another gig. Most AFL coaches started their careers in their late 30's early 40's, He started rather later than that. He knows he can create his own destiny and legacy here. Besides I suspect he wants to be the first coach to win a premiership without playing AFL himself.

And then, after holding up the premiership cup for the fifth time in his career, he will hand the reigns over to Luke Hodge. ;)

Len S

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it far more likely that Hodge will coach our next premiership side,and the sooner he starts that project the better.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I think it far more likely that Hodge will coach our next premiership side,and the sooner he starts that project the better.
I can't agree with you at all Len, why would we want to even contemplate moving on the best thing that has happened to our club in over a decade. Chris Fagan is extremely likely if it happens to take us to our next premiership IMO, no reason why he can't be a long term coach ie. 5-10 years.

As good as Hodge has been for the club, surely we above all other clubs should have learned our lesson about employing former champion players as coaches before they're ready.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I can't agree with you at all Len, why would we want to even contemplate moving on the best thing that has happened to our club in over a decade. Chris Fagan is extremely likely if it happens to take us to our next premiership IMO, no reason why he can't be a long term coach ie. 5-10 years.
Agreed 100%...Chris Fagan is the right man at the right time for us - early days but he has achieved so much buy in, in such a short period of time (along with David Noble, no doubt) that it is quite extra-ordinary. Why we would be even talking about our next coach at this stage seems enormously premature to me.

Agreed 100%...Chris Fagan is the right man at the right time for us - early days but he has achieved so much buy in, in such a short period of time (along with David Noble, no doubt) that it is quite extra-ordinary. Why we would be even talking about our next coach at this stage seems enormously premature to me.

It would be nice talking about which of the next aspiring assistant coaches lining up for a chance to learn from the master and work with the Lions we should accept!

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Extension looming for Fagan - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/grey-is-the-new-black-at-the-lions-20180727-p4ztyd.html

Although the Lions hierarchy had already placed him on an unofficial shortlist and although he was a clear choice for the job once strongly advised to apply, Fagan's appointment almost didn't happen after his predecessor Justin Leppitsch delivered a stirring presentation to the Lions board at the end of the 2016 season which briefly appeared to have saved his job.

Instead the three-time premiership defender, much to the disappointment of his strong supporter Leigh Matthews, was removed and paid out and returned to an assistant coaching role at Richmond.

Back