Coaching and off-field staff thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"Putting aside Dayne Beams' strange recent failure to fully commit to seeing out his contract..."
What is this supposed to mean?

It's pretty clear isn't it? basically saying that's the only potential exodus, everyone else seems totally locked in.

IIRC we had no turnover of coaches last off season so I would like to see us have a crack at Blake Caracella as a senior assistant, get some new ideas and a fresh set of eyes into the system.

So a stirring preso got Leppa the job (by all accounts) and a stirring preso almost saved it. The dude must have mad powerpoint skills...

Maybe he should've used it to teach the players a decent gameplan

I think Leppa gets unfairly labelled with the crazy tag. He said all along that 2016 was going to be a bad year as we turned over our list. I don't know why we were all shocked when we did. Our 2016 list had a couple of middle aged superstars and some very young elite talent. Gardiner Hopwood HA Taylor and Mcstay are now benefitting from their experiences under Leppa. Saying Leppa has no tactical sense is 100 percent incorrect. Just look at what happened to Richmond when he left and how their defense has changed when he has returned. Everyone talks a lot about Richmond and their small ball forward play with Hardwick and Caracalla. We tend to ignore how strong their defence is and a lot of that can be attributed to Leppa. If Leppa wanted to return to Brisbane as a line or assistant coach we should be all over him. His performance as a coach in 2016 is more a reflection of the damaged list he inherited than of his coaching skill. That 2016 list is worse than what Carlton has right now.

I think Leppa gets unfairly labelled with the crazy tag. He said all along that 2016 was going to be a bad year as we turned over our list. I don't know why we were all shocked when we did. Our 2016 list had a couple of middle aged superstars and some very young elite talent. Gardiner Hopwood HA Taylor and Mcstay are now benefitting from their experiences under Leppa. Saying Leppa has no tactical sense is 100 percent incorrect. Just look at what happened to Richmond when he left and how their defense has changed when he has returned. Everyone talks a lot about Richmond and their small ball forward play with Hardwick and Caracalla. We tend to ignore how strong their defence is and a lot of that can be attributed to Leppa. If Leppa wanted to return to Brisbane as a line or assistant coach we should be all over him. His performance as a coach in 2016 is more a reflection of the damaged list he inherited than of his coaching skill. That 2016 list is worse than what Carlton has right now.

We won 10 games in 2013. In 2014 he came in and did ridiculous things like playing Lisle as a small back. It was clear very early that his bottom out rebuild plan wasn't going to work. Glad Fagan came in and empowered the players instead of just sitting back and hoping that things would come good eventually.

It's pretty clear isn't it? basically saying that's the only potential exodus, everyone else seems totally locked in.
I’m guessing the “at this stage” answer by Beams, when asked if he’ll see out his contract.
Yeah l just thought all that stuff was rumour from BF or something. Didn't really think there was much substance to it all especially considering we heard from Noble that it was all BS.

IIRC we had no turnover of coaches last off season so I would like to see us have a crack at Blake Caracella as a senior assistant, get some new ideas and a fresh set of eyes into the system.

I'm a strong believer in "if it's not broken, don't fix it"......we have done very well with the team we have. Really don't see why we need anyone else just for the sake of having another one. Could very well upset the balance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a strong believer in "if it's not broken, don't fix it"......we have done very well with the team we have. Really don't see why we need anyone else just for the sake of having another one. Could very well upset the balance.
May not be broken but it could also improve us a fair bit with ideas outside the box.

So a stirring preso got Leppa the job (by all accounts) and a stirring preso almost saved it. The dude must have mad powerpoint skills...

He used Prezi instead and blew everyone’s mind.

I think our team, particularly the coach, have shown they are capable of thinking outside the box.....eg. the Hodge recruitment.
I don’t see Hodgey as someone lacking in tactical nous!
Would be great for us if he hangs around after hanging up the boots.

I'd be surprised if there is not some movement in our coaching ranks this off season, even though form the outside it looks like everything is hunky dory. If you stand still you stagnate, evolution is a good thing.

I'd be surprised if there is not some movement in our coaching ranks this off season, even though form the outside it looks like everything is hunky dory. If you stand still you stagnate, evolution is a good thing.
I think it is possible to evolve without changing the personnel. Our coaching group is mostly still inexperienced at AFL level. Presumably, there’s still lots of room for growth.

Ah yer, we don't want the AFL bringing in the Tasmanian Devils any time soon then.

keep-calm-and-wait-till-hell-freezes-over-1.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back