Coaching and off-field staff thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we really rate Fages and Nobes and what they are doing for our club but this quote from the website might be taking it a bit far -
The Brisbane Lions' General Manager of Football David Football is a fan of the changes coming to the 2018 AFL Trade and Draft period.

Damn my bring back Voss to learn from Fages plan and take over at the end plan is shot. Re-signed w Port. Wonder how Rockliff handles this?

Better than Polec.

Just chuffed with our back office, ex players and the architect Christensen for driving this, some people are worth so much more to a club than what we see on the field.

The RAP was launched in Brisbane on Thursday with 25 players, including indigenous trio Christensen, Charlie Cameron and Cedric Cox, and former premiership players Darryl White, Chris Johnson and Ash McGrath on hand.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-09/lion-hails-clubs-indigenous-turnaround

It's check up time people - all genders. Glad that they caught this in time for effective treatment.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...nt-reveals-cancer-battle-20180815-p4zxmf.html

'If I can save one life it's a great result': Lions assistant reveals cancer battle
Send via Email

Brisbane Lions strategy coach Danny Daly had just sat through his side's five point loss to Port Adelaide when he received news that would change his life forever.

After trying to call him all weekend Daly's urologist finally sent through an email diagnosing him with an aggressive form of prostate cancer in both his gland and his prostate.

"It was a tough day, to be beaten by five points and then finding out that news," Daly told SEN on Wednesday.

"Fortunately enough in the industry we have doctors at the club, so we had a doctor there and I basically gave him my phone and I said, mate, can you explain this some more. He said 'I think you're in a bit of strife here mate'."

There were no signs or symptoms hinting Daly, 52, had cancer - by his own admission he felt "like a million dollars".

The Lions' assistant only went to the doctors thanks to a 2015 AFL Coaches Association program encouraging trainers to have their health checked.

The program previously saved the life of Melbourne Demons game analyst Craig Jennings, who was diagnosed with a melanoma in 2017 thanks to his check-up.

"I was probably one of the guys who thought they were too busy, or too invincible to actually get a health check done," Daly said.

"The biggest shock for me was (the doctor) said 'another six months and I'm not sure we would have been able to do much for you'."

Daly underwent successful surgery to remove the cancer a week after his diagnosis in April and now his prognosis looks good.

However, he says he can't forget that, but for a random health check, his two sons could have been facing life without their dad, prompting him to open up about his cancer battle.

"I'm not one who likes to talk about myself too often to be honest, but this is a story which I think I need to tell as many people as I can," he said.

"If I can save one life it's a great result for me."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Open Mike replay of the Leppitsch interview just finished. Such a footy-smart bloke. Wish he could have made it as a coach.
Maybe he will someday, he goes pretty well as a line coach. Wasn't ready to do it when he came here, to be sure.

Maybe he will someday, he goes pretty well as a line coach. Wasn't ready to do it when he came here, to be sure.
I think he struggled with getting the message across, mostly!
And not all the coaches were on the same page.
That is where Fagan is primo, with his delivery of the message. Everyone from the footy department, the line coaches and down to the players are on the same page.
Leppa will get there I reckon, with a bit more time in the system.

The better coaches are generally the better communicators. I don't think Leppa has the skills to be a senior AFL coach. Happy if he proves me wrong though. Still a good bloke and will always be a threepeater.

Do clubs use a match day tactical coach? Some games I think we could use one. Keeping Fagan as supremo coach who is very good as the people person and mastermind of coaching.

The better coaches are generally the better communicators. I don't think Leppa has the skills to be a senior AFL coach. Happy if he proves me wrong though. Still a good bloke and will always be a threepeater.

I don't think he has the emotional energy and agility to be all things to all people. And that results in him putting a lot of people offside or feeling neglected.

Fagan is a miracle worker in that regard. He is emotionally available but just as importantly, he empowers the coaching staff and players to be the same way. It's transformative stuff.

Last edited:
Just chuffed with our back office, ex players and the architect Christensen for driving this, some people are worth so much more to a club than what we see on the field.

The RAP was launched in Brisbane on Thursday with 25 players, including indigenous trio Christensen, Charlie Cameron and Cedric Cox, and former premiership players Darryl White, Chris Johnson and Ash McGrath on hand.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-09/lion-hails-clubs-indigenous-turnaround
Can't believe I missed this. I'm also currently working on my employers RAP in collaboration with the RAC. Such a great role model is Bundy. About time indigenous players and staff are embraced at the Lions instead of being used as an advertising piece to be "rolled out" when required.

I don't think he has the emotional energy and agility to be all things to all people. And that results in him putting a lot of people offside or feeling neglected.

Fagan is a miracle worker in that regard. He is emotionally available but just as importantly, he empowers the coaching staff and players to be the same way. It's transformative stuff.
You just can't see a bloke like Fagan choking a member of his staff like Leppa did.

Dont think I have ever seen the Leppa issue better described. Was always a thin line between being the nicest bloke youll ever meet and him being strung out and effected by emotional agitation, even in pressers etc. Was clearly frayed wires connecting the group when he was there. The most common line our current group say is 'since Fagan came along'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back