Coaching and off-field staff thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember a few years back when no body wanted to poach our staff & we had high draft picks every year?

That was because we were a bog average / hopeless football team, with required players leaving on a pretty regular basis.

You get lots of high draft picks because you suck and / or your star players want out.

I'll take the odd team staff member being poached & shitty draft picks over being unsuccessful & at the bottom of the ladder every bloody day of the week.

[
Remember a few years back when no body wanted to poach our staff & we had high draft picks every year?

That was because we were a bog average / hopeless football team, with required players leaving on a pretty regular basis.

You get lots of high draft picks because you suck and / or your star players want out.

I'll take the odd team staff member being poached & shitty draft picks over being unsuccessful & at the bottom of the ladder every bloody day of the week.

WHEELS FALLING OFF.

I think you guys need to stop repeating the same jokes and actually address the talent dissipation that we're experiencing. Teams require consistency to stay on the top. Look at Richmond, Geelong. They don't lose staff or players, and they add what is required. We've lost Witherden, Hinge, Noble, we have had a coaching staff repositioned in Noble's job and now we have lost Griffith. I hope i'm wrong, but from what we're experiencing, I don't think we will walk into 2021 like we did in 2020. Even if our squad is better (per se), the weakened coaching department may offset that and put us back a year or so. I hope i'm wrong, but I'm feeling less optimistic about the season.

Teams require consistency to stay on the top. Look at Richmond, Geelong. They don't lose staff or players, and they add what is required.

Quite sure Richmond lost Caracella to Essendon last year, and have lost Leppa and McRae this year, all of whom are very highly rated.

I think you guys need to stop repeating the same jokes and actually address the talent dissipation that we're experiencing. Teams require consistency to stay on the top. Look at Richmond, Geelong. They don't lose staff or players, and they add what is required. We've lost Witherden, Hinge, Noble, we have had a coaching staff repositioned in Noble's job and now we have lost Griffith. I hope i'm wrong, but from what we're experiencing, I don't think we will walk into 2021 like we did in 2020. Even if our squad is better (per se), the weakened coaching department may offset that and put us back a year or so. I hope i'm wrong, but I'm feeling less optimistic about the season.

Have you done the slightest bit of research to back this up? Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong all lost key players and/or staff during their periods of dominance.

Geelong have lost 5 of their staff, one of which is their main Doc.
Going by the thoughts of some posters, the Cats will now have a downward spiral 😉

Attachments

• 285DE8DD-9DA5-488B-A839-384B69BC6563.jpeg
    285DE8DD-9DA5-488B-A839-384B69BC6563.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 89
Bomber and Ablett left at the same time and they won the premiership the next year.
Lance Franklin also left the Hawks and they won the flag the next season, that's literally who many people consider the 2 best players this century and in the conversation in a list of all time greats leaving their sides and having little affect.

Most on here appreciate what the likes of Witherden, Cutler, Keays, Walker etc have done with our club but hardly in the same class as losing Buddy & Gazza Jnr.

From a Lions perspective the departures of among others Jarrod Molloy, Craig Bolton and Des Headland didn't stop the 3peat/4 GFs on the trot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nekminnit Brisbane Lions appoint x, an experienced and we'll regarded osteo and performance professional to continue the delivery of the Brisbane lions performance mgmt plan

I was optimistic you had moved overseas, somewhere without the internet as you made out.

Wheels are coming off.
How do you follow a club when you hate everything they do? I’m all for balance when assessing decisions made by the club (even though Noble and whoever this bloke is where not the clubs decision), but seriously how do you live in this zone. I assume after 2004 you thought the place was a rabble and disgrace because they ‘couldn’t even get 4 in a row’. It has to be hard to maintain the negativity.

What lesson is that?

Given I've seen Selwyn present a number of times and know how highly regarded he is outside AFL circles, I doubt the club has got someone more credentialed they're bringing in. And if you think Danny Daly is more credentialed than David Noble you are deluded.

It is ok to accept that the club has been dealt a sh*t sandwich with the loss of Noble and Griffith and that their departures will be detrimental to the club and even further that why, if the club really is destined for big things, that key people are jumping ship now.

I think they jump ship because staffers don’t play for premierships. Totally different motivation.

Pretty disappointing. Thought that sooner or later clubs might start poaching our medical staff after years of a great injury run. Hopefully, it is just a process rather than an individuals brilliance.
Selwyn has often been referred to glowingly by players doing long term injury rehab and his promotion to Melbourne is great career recognition for him.

So that begs the question - who are the key people in our medical/sports performance team that have made such a difference to our injury prevention and recovery processes?

Have you done the slightest bit of research to back this up? Richmond, Hawthorn and Geelong all lost key players and/or staff during their periods of dominance.

Generally I think it’s great other teams are looking to our people, it’s a great indication how well the club and its people are respected across the competition. I think we can cover Noble, Danny Daly has a lot of experience, he’s done his apprenticeship and deserves the opportunity. The one concern though is we’ve backed our medical and strength and conditioning team in to get Daniher and Cockatoo right. To stand them up get them fit and get them back in the park as regular contributors. Worried when one of our key strength and conditioning guys leaves this may be a little harder then we may have otherwise anticipated.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Seriously get a grip to say others clubs haven't lost players and staff is just plain ridiculous and stupid. Does the name Neil Balme ring a bell, what about Ablett jnr , cats won a premiership without him , and I'm over hearing about the loss of fringe players. Every year clubs lose on average 8-10 players. Get the hell over it..

Witherden and Hinge may be talented, just not as talented as 22 other players on our list

3. The Research Challenge v6.jpg

a few years ago (2016 or 17) the Gold Coast S&C team used to have regular ‘robust’ discussions about managing programs. The guy I knew would go in armed with research papers he used to wave about to try to prove his point and win arguments.suns were total crap at the time with long injury lists.

I’d put money on our s&c team being all about the relationship management with a simple and consistent messages. There’d be well documented records of what has and hadn’t worked and why, and players would be given the information to enable them to participate in the development and management of their own programs. We see that ownership in the off season work they do as a group.

losing good individuals is always a hit, but our infield success comes from building a strong system and no way are people managing that going to let off field stuff be any less professional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back