Coaching assistant roles to the stay the same in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Which would be a great reason to pick up Ratten.

I can see Ratten going to St Kilda and being their Head Coach by round 15 next year.

Hoping we at least shuffle the coaches back to their natural spots, and maybe bring in another assistant.
Assuming Gia is basically the senior assistant:
Forwards: NEW - who though?
Stoppages: Corey
Mids: King
Backs: Jordan Russell
Head Development: Smith
Development/VFL: Hansen, Grace, Maddocks

I can see Ratten going to St Kilda and being their Head Coach by round 15 next year.

Hoping we at least shuffle the coaches back to their natural spots, and maybe bring in another assistant.
Assuming Gia is basically the senior assistant:
Forwards: NEW - who though?
Stoppages: Corey
Mids: King
Backs: Jordan Russell
Head Development: Smith
Development/VFL: Hansen, Grace, Maddocks
I'd be ok with Russell as backs coach, considering he played that position

Gia as senior assistant, yuck. VFL/development thanks if he has to be retained

It's a hard one.

From the outside it looks like there is an issue, but the development of the likes of Richards and Naughton for example tends to suggest Smith is a very good development coach as well as backline coach.

As I am not seeing to day to day inner sanctum operating, I am not going to rubbish the decision as it may well be the correct one. More like a raised eyebrow

I'd be ok with Russell as backs coach, considering he played that position

Gia as senior assistant, yuck. VFL/development thanks if he has to be retained

Gia is already the senior assistant isn't he? It's basically just removing him from the stoppage role and getting Corey back in there.

Gia is already the senior assistant isn't he? It's basically just removing him from the stoppage role and getting Corey back in there.
I thought Corey was? And he took over from Monty

Gia is midfield coach, don't think we have a full-time ruck coach atm, King might do a bit when he can I think.

It's a hard one.

From the outside it looks like there is an issue, but the development of the likes of Richards and Naughton for example tends to suggest Smith is a very good development coach as well as backline coach.

As I am not seeing to day to day inner sanctum operating, I am not going to rubbish the decision as it may well be the correct one. More like a raised eyebrow

I don’t think anyone has suggested firing Smith.

I don’t think anyone has suggested firing Smith.
Read some posts in the assistant coaches thread, every coach is to go.

I was using Smith as an example as one who switched roles after 2016 and has probably been even better in the new role. He is also from within the club, debunking 2 theories for assistant coaches

Read some posts in the assistant coaches thread, every coach is to go.

I was using Smith as an example as one who switched roles after 2016 and has probably been even better in the new role. He is also from within the club, debunking 2 theories for assistant coaches

Hasn’t debunked anything. Smith is good in the development role as well as the defensive role cause he can coach. Gia can’t coach stoppages or the forward line because he can’t coach period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoked that we are backing in the coaches who took a ridiculously young and underdeveloped list to an unprecedented flag. Good to see the people running the show have a bit of backbone.

We won the flag in spite of Gia’s coaching Scrag. He’s been rubbish all four years he’s been an assistant.

Give him another four to really be sure of it?

Stoked that we are backing in the coaches who took a ridiculously young and underdeveloped list to an unprecedented flag. Good to see the people running the show have a bit of backbone.

Oh the the other hand most of the list has regressed in the 2 seasons after the flag at an alarming rate.

It's a hard one.

Fair enough but I take a different view. Richards and Naughton showed their ability from day one - that is the least development time possible. This leads me to conclude that they are good enough to make it anyway, and would make it whoever was the development coach or even if they didn't have a development coach. Guys who have been in the system for a while - R Smith, Colins, Roberts (premiership player I know) seem to be to be where they have always been. Nature or nurture, I honestly don't know.

We won the flag in spite of Gia’s coaching Scrag. He’s been rubbish all four years he’s been an assistant.

Give him another four to really be sure of it?

What gives you the insight to be so sure? I suspect you're just parroting the bigfooty dogma. We were actually the best clearance side in the comp for the first 8 rounds this year despite having no recognized ruckman and a very immature midfield. Based on that I think he is excelling as a stoppage coach.

What gives you the insight to be so sure? I suspect you're just parroting the bigfooty dogma. We were actually the best clearance side in the comp for the first 8 rounds this year despite having no recognized ruckman and a very immature midfield. Based on that I think he is excelling as a stoppage coach.
Yep go Gia.

I know for a fact he provides great insight in match committee.

In fact I have no idea at all like everyone else in this thread.

Yep go Gia.

I know for a fact he provides great insight in match committee.

In fact I have no idea at all like everyone else in this thread.

Yep. Without inner circle knowledge of the workings of the club and coaching staff I can only assess Gia based on the data, and the data indicates he is exceptionally good at his job.

If that’s a pisstake it’s an excellent one.

All the clearances we get are rushed and indirect and the ones we concede leave us more open and exposed than a bare arse in the wind.

You notice how in just about every game we’ll have a run of conceding 6 clearances which we will concede about 5 goals from in 2 minutes.

You wish for more of this do you?

All the clearances we get are rushed and indirect and the ones we concede leave us more open and exposed than a bare arse in the wind.

You notice how in just about every game we’ll have a run of conceding 6 clearances which we will concede about 5 goals from in 2 minutes.

You wish for more of this do you?
Perhaps it’s the personnel out on the ground.

If only the season stopped at round eight I guess. All the clearances we get are rushed and indirect and the ones we concede leave us more open and exposed than a bare arse in the wind.

Definitely not a piss take. I haven't seen any hard data to suggest that Gia is in any way inadequate at his job. I don't buy into this dogma that he's s**t which gets parroted around here for no discernable reason.
I do know that he has never had access to the cattle he would want though.

Hasn’t debunked anything. Smith is good in the development role as well as the defensive role cause he can coach. Gia can’t coach stoppages or the forward line because he can’t coach period.
No he has dubunked the theory if it aint broke don't fix it as his skills have been allowed to develop as well as players have to go to other clubs first to be good assistants.

I am not saying Gia can coach but on what basis are you saying he can't coach?

He got a forward line without a single KPP to function enough to win a flag. Mc Clean and Macrae have certainly improved as clearance players whilst most others have either played injured or been out injured

Remove this Banner Ad

Back