Coaching Changes Mid Season??

Remove this Banner Ad

Darhkuan

Senior List
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
So apparently there is a coaching shake up at Melbourne mid season. Gerard Wheatley just discussed with Lewis on 360.

Jade Rawlings is coming back from VFL to be the forwards coach for the seniors.
There are apparently a number of other changes but that was the big one.

Anyone know anymore?

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Who is the current forward coach that Rawlings replaces?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Won't be anything major as we can't poach anyone mid season. Glorified deck chair shuffle

Look at Carlton, there forward line structure was a joke all season. Bolton gets sacked and replaced by David Teague and Curnow + their forward line look pretty bloody good last 2 weeks. All good except Teague was the forward line coach

These changes will make * all difference if Goody is a control freak

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lewis said the change was mainly because we had a few blokes coaching in roles they weren't recruited for / didn't have experience in.

Surely it's not rocket science that if you get a bloke not long out of the game as a coach and he spent his career as a defender, you put him to work with the defenders.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like it. Obviously what we’re currently doing isn’t working. Might as well change things up now. Apparently a few assistants out of contract this year so a shake up now might sort out who we keep.

Demons Advocate

Senior List
Jul 11, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
This will either be a stroke of genius or a futile endeavour. I'll be back in 3 months to share my expert knowledge in hindsight....

I'm all for it, as long as Rawlings has any kind of experience / capability as a fwd coach.

3x ex Cats people as development coaches sounds alright as well (McCartney, Rooke and..)

New forward coach, has to be an improvement, right? Right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not that players words mean anything but Lewy said Rawlings is one of the best coaches he's had

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
After some structural changes have been made, the coaching set up is as follows:

- Jade Rawlings will become the club’s forward coach, and as a result, will step aside as the Casey Demons’ VFL coach

- Troy Chaplin will become the standalone backline coach

- Ben Mathews will remain in the position as stoppages and contest coach

- Craig Jennings will remain in the position as assistant coach (strategy and education coordinator)

- Justin Plapp will remain in the position as midfield development coach

- Greg Stafford will remain in the position as ruck coach

- Matthew Egan will remain in the position as head of development

- Max Rooke, formerly the forward coach, will move into the position of development coach

- Brendan McCartney will move from defensive coach to an overall mentoring position of the AFL and VFL assistant coaches

- Sam Radford has stepped up from assistant coach at Casey Demons to become the senior VFL coach

Additionally, the Dees’ medical team is preparing for the departure of Elite Performance Manager, David Misson, at the end of the season, as he moves to Canada with his family. For the remainder of 2019, Dr. Zeeshan Arain is stepping up to become the head of medical services, while Phil Merriman will take his opportunity as the head of strength and conditioning.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
FWIW, I like that they've been willing to make the changes now.

Gives people such as Rooke, McCartney, Chaplin and Rawlings an opportunity to show their wares in different roles. I found Rawlings' move back to Casey a strange one this year, as I've always thought of him as our most senior and capable assistant (even above McCartney) and I hope that this change allows him to implement strategy and provide genuine input into forward set-up.

Love to know who initiated the change; Goody, Mahoney or Pert.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
FWIW, I like that they've been willing to make the changes now.

Gives people such as Rooke, McCartney, Chaplin and Rawlings an opportunity to show their wares in different roles. I found Rawlings' move back to Casey a strange one this year, as I've always thought of him as our most senior and capable assistant (even above McCartney) and I hope that this change allows him to implement strategy and provide genuine input into forward set-up.

Love to know who initiated the change; Goody, Mahoney or Pert.

Reads to me like Rooke has been demoted and McCartney has been shunted off to the side as those two effectively don't have matchday responsibilities anymore. Someone pointed out a few weeks ago that McCartney had been kicked out of the coaching box. Will be interesting to see how much of an impact Rawlings will have as forward coach, if any.

Who is the current forward coach that Rawlings replaces?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Rooke.

Now a development coach with mcCartney

Reality IS

Debutant
May 8, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
This is really a roll of the dice for Dee's/Goodwin as if it doesn't improve the chopping block will be out.

Great timing re the change in fitness staff....

This will either be a stroke of genius or a futile endeavour. I'll be back in 3 months to share my expert knowledge in hindsight....

I'm all for it, as long as Rawlings has any kind of experience / capability as a fwd coach.

3x ex Cats people as development coaches sounds alright as well (McCartney, Rooke and..)

New forward coach, has to be an improvement, right? Right?
This. Could help sort out our problems or add to them (and stir up more s**t in the media: changes on the run, not thinking it through, etc.)

At least they're doing something different and getting in new fitness staff is a positive too. Can look outside our existing team at years end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back