Analysis Coaching discussion 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Was able to get an amazing response from the players after blaming a lack of effort on last weeks result. Pressure was immense and is what we need to bring consistently.

Credit where credit is due, a lot of us dumped on him last week but it was perfect against the crows.

We stayed deep and stifled their ball movement, we left our forwards with space and counter attacked like the Tigers did to us.

We got smashed in the second quarter but instead of ignorantly playing our game plan and getting cut to pieces we sucked it up acknowledged we were getting done and bunkered down. Instead of losing the quarter by 8 goals to nothing we took everything they had and then even managed to get them out the back and go in within touching distance which allowed us to launch in the 3rd

Tmac forward was brilliant. We had nothing forward and Tmac not only took marks but worked extremely hard to always give us an option and then hold it forward. I'm actually loving Tmac playing like Blitzavs from Geelong I think it makes us better
Petracca into the midfield was also a key point, his clearance work is so clean.

More importantly Goody has shown he can move the magnets around effectively which he did with Hunt and Tmac last week as well.

Credit where credit is due, a lot of us dumped on him last week but it was perfect against the crows.

We stayed deep and stifled their ball movement, we left our forwards with space and counter attacked like the Tigers did to us.

We got smashed in the second quarter but instead of ignorantly playing our game plan and getting cut to pieces we sucked it up acknowledged we were getting done and bunkered down. Instead of losing the quarter by 8 goals to nothing we took everything they had and then even managed to get them out the back and go in within touching distance which allowed us to launch in the 3rd

Tmac forward was brilliant. We had nothing forward and Tmac not only took marks but worked extremely hard to always give us an option and then hold it forward. I'm actually loving Tmac playing like Blitzavs from Geelong I think it makes us better
Petracca into the midfield was also a key point, his clearance work is so clean.

More importantly Goody has shown he can move the magnets around effectively which he did with Hunt and Tmac last week as well.
Totally agree. I haven't liked the fact we've had to come from behind in most games, but he definitely has the ability to change things around. TMac forward, Petracca to the midfield, and Vince tagging Sloane resulted in us winning the game along with the huge effort with pressure. Well done Goody. Pressure is still on though. Next 3 games are playing against sides below is and we should be favorites in all 3. Minimum of 2 wins for a pass mark.

I can't see how we don't lose this game by over 10 goals.
Our aggressive press will be slaughtered by Adelaides precision ball movement on the large Adelaide oval.
Seconded is we don't have Hogan which means if we kick long to Garlett and Watts then Lever Talia Kelly Laird Hardigan etc will eat up the long balls
Also we have no one who can stop Taylor Walker. He is gonna kick 6
POTY.

Goodwin locked the game up in the first quarter in the hope to stifle Adelaide and (I'm assuming) avoid giving an early lead. Good in theory but it hurt us because it took us out of player position to go the other way and the game was getting away from us. That said, the players were switched on and played well to instruction and it stopped Adelaide from playing the way they are accustomed to and it also (to a degree) negated the crowd.

He read the tea-leaves well and 2nd quarter onwards changed up our style whilst reinforcing the tackling and pressure. Whether he saw that Adelaide were stuck a little in 3rd gear and pounced or it was premeditated I am not sure but the timing was excellent.

We showed last night that we genuinely have a plan A and a Plan B. Our ability to cover both ends of the ground, man up, tackle relentlessly and concentrate for 4 quarters were essential in executing this though. Unfortunately with a youngish side this is a week to week proposition. We're thinking about our approach though.

Most of all we simplified our ball use in the second half which was pleasing. This is the single most important aspect going forward for mine. We won't dominate every week like last night but simple ball use may get us over the line in games where we are outplayed. Similar to what Freo and Hawthorn did to us.

Players and coach were definitely in sync last night.

We really worn them down, which opened up the field for us and allowed us to get handballs and kicks into space. I was worried we might have used too much energy in the first half to only be just in it, but the opposite happened and we overran them.

Goodwin locked the game up in the first quarter in the hope to stifle Adelaide and (I'm assuming) avoid giving an early lead. Good in theory but it hurt us because it took us out of player position to go the other way and the game was getting away from us. That said, the players were switched on and played well to instruction and it stopped Adelaide from playing the way they are accustomed to and it also (to a degree) negated the crowd.

He read the tea-leaves well and 2nd quarter onwards changed up our style whilst reinforcing the tackling and pressure. Whether he saw that Adelaide were stuck a little in 3rd gear and pounced or it was premeditated I am not sure but the timing was excellent.

We showed last night that we genuinely have a plan A and a Plan B. Our ability to cover both ends of the ground, man up, tackle relentlessly and concentrate for 4 quarters were essential in executing this though. Unfortunately with a youngish side this is a week to week proposition. We're thinking about our approach though.

Most of all we simplified our ball use in the second half which was pleasing. This is the single most important aspect going forward for mine. We won't dominate every week like last night but simple ball use may get us over the line in games where we are outplayed. Similar to what Freo and Hawthorn did to us.

Players and coach were definitely in sync last night.
I clearly remember a graphic popping up last night showing that adelaide were surprisingly slow starters this season but had ridiculously dominant 2nd quarters in their wins this season. I think we just played our brand and it was working. Bernie Vince can take a lot of credit for that as well as every member of our defence. There we're no passengers. Frost, omac, Wagner and the usual suspects were all on point.
Special mention to Pedo too who has been incredible as a makeshift ruckman.
The shift in the third can largely be attributed to great coaching.

Get a blow up sex doll or pocket pussy to keep you entertained and stop thinking about me mate.
Nobody is thinking about you, they are just thinking geez this guy is a tosser when they have to read your many conceited posts. You rarely make a good point and you are unpleasant and negative in just about everything you say. Your hubris and unassertive agression towards other is tiring.

I am one that went early saying i don't believe in him, but what I saw in the last few weeks has given me some confidence that he is willing to take a risk and move players around, not only does he move players around but he obviously knows his players attributes.

Tom McDonald forward was a great move and paid off, Petracca getting more time in the middle was always going to happen but once again that paid off.

Goodwin I am sorry, I won't doubt you from now on.

Nobody is thinking about you, they are just thinking geez this guy is a tosser when they have to read your many conceited posts. You rarely make a good point and you are unpleasant and negative in just about everything you say. Your hubris and unassertive agression towards other is tiring.

Wouldn't be a thread without R_Grunter starting flame wars

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am one that went early saying i don't believe in him, but what I saw in the last few weeks has given me some confidence that he is willing to take a risk and move players around, not only does he move players around but he obviously knows his players attributes.

Tom McDonald forward was a great move and paid off, Petracca getting more time in the middle was always going to happen but once again that paid off.

Goodwin I am sorry, I won't doubt you from now on.

... until North destroy us this weekend...

Couldnt believe the carry on about the gameplan last week in here, clearly it works when we get it right, maximum effort for as long as possible = wins.

Love watching this team and how we play, as much as i love Roosy for all he has done, give me Goody's game style any day, when the players show up its a great watch #bumsonseats... if we are going to lose by five goals id much rather it be 15 goals to 20 than 5 goals to 10.

I thought the gameplan itself had a few flaws but I'm very impressed how proactive he is moving players around when things aren't going our way. Roosy was a magnificent coach but there was always some criticism that he was reluctant to make major moves during a game, Goodwin certainly doesn't hold back.

He also slightly tweaked the way we played against the Crows (More stoppages and the press worked a lot better). Next three weeks we will go in as favourites in each game so will tell us a lot about how he can keep getting the players up, but at this stage he looks pretty good as a first year coach.

Our forward line coach should be shot, there's absolutely no movement down there. I feel like I haven't seen a forward actually lead at the ball carrier since Neitz retired.
Our forward line is shot. It's built to function around a critical big bloke and we have none now.

Think about it.

Hogan fit = Hogan full forward, Pedo/Watts rotating through the ruck.
Gawn or Spencer fit = Pedo full forward, Gawn or Spencer/Watts rotating through ruck.

Instead we have to try and run this stupid hydra thing because there are literally no options. And it shows. TomMc can't be everywhere.

Our forward line is shot. It's built to function around a critical big bloke and we have none now.

Think about it.

Hogan fit = Hogan full forward, Pedo/Watts rotating through the ruck.
Gawn or Spencer fit = Pedo full forward, Gawn or Spencer/Watts rotating through ruck.

Instead we have to try and run this stupid hydra thing because there are literally no options. And it shows. TomMc can't be everywhere.

Even when Hogan has been fit, it hasn't worked that well. He gets carried away with wrestling his man or wanting a 75 metre kick out the back and doesn't lead into dangerous space. Then when he doesn't get the ball for a while because of it, he ends up roaming around the wing where no opposition team will be overly fussed at him chalking up a few possies.

Even when Hogan has been fit, it hasn't worked that well. He gets carried away with wrestling his man or wanting a 75 metre kick out the back and doesn't lead into dangerous space. Then when he doesn't get the ball for a while because of it, he ends up roaming around the wing where no opposition team will be overly fussed at him chalking up a few possies.

It's more of a flow-on effect imo. No Hogan means Weid, who is a mile off AFL standard, and Watts have to play key posts. When Watts plays as a third tall, he's the one who has clever repeat lead patterns, while Hogan plays deeper.

So while we miss Hogan the player a heap, we also miss him badly in a structural sense.

It's more of a flow-on effect imo. No Hogan means Weid, who is a mile off AFL standard, and Watts have to play key posts. When Watts plays as a third tall, he's the one who has clever repeat lead patterns, while Hogan plays deeper.

So while we miss Hogan the player a heap, we also miss him badly in a structural sense.

It is a player issue to a degree, but we haven't had a workable forward structure for 10 years. We've gone from flouncing around with Brad Miller to leaving Jurrah one out to giving up on Watts as a key forward to hoping Dawes would be a useful target, held brief flirtations with Dunn, Clark, Sellar and also thrown Rivers and Frawley forward in that time. The only players who were regular scoreboard nudgers during that period were Robbo and Green. I reckon it's been so long no one can remember how to coach a proper forward line, let alone play in it. If we did, they might do something about the entire midfield trotting into the 50 and taking up all the dangerous space without actually being dangerous, or maybe forcing the loose talls who feast on our errant kicks forward to be accountable for someone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back