Analysis Coaching discussion 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

The creeping back of the 'developing side on a journey' line hasn't impressed me much. Who knows how much impact it actually has, but it sounds like you're putting a ceiling on the season. Compare that to the a Dogs last year and the "why not us" mantra.

I don't like how he always gives the players an out in his pressers and tries to take pressure off the group. We don't know what he's saying internally but I'm sick of making excuses, I'd welcome Goodwin baking the players publicly but it just doesn't happen these days.

Let's face it, goody is a great bloke but is about as bland and uninspiring as they come. Right out of the crowbot factory. I suspect the players will get bored of him I'd he keeps displaying a boring message to his players

Let's face it, goody is a great bloke but is about as bland and uninspiring as they come. Right out of the crowbot factory. I suspect the players will get bored of him I'd he keeps displaying a boring message to his players
Goody's shitty media persona isn't how he presents himself to the playing group

It seems like the players don't know where to position themselves off the ball, so half of them just flock to the pack to create our "wall" of pressure. Then when we get the ball we have no where to go because we have no space.

We really aren't gelling and i don't think its a lack of talent or desire in our list, it is the understanding of the game plan.

1 or 2 too many handballs, kicking into the backs of players running in front rather than the player shepherding, flat footed 1-2 handballs and setting up attacking side at centre bounces with the wind against us. These are the obvious things our team does when we are lost. But we also stop using the corridor, stop switching and our forward entries become an absolute mess.

Our senior players aren't showing they know how to structure the side out on the field so our coaches need to lift. Surely they are teaching how to create space but the message isn't getting through. Hopefully playing games at the G with a more settled team turns this around but if we don't sort out any of these problems in our ball movement by the end of round 23 I will have a lot less faith that our coaches are even trying to teach the team these fundamentals.

Actually he comes from the 'Paul Roos' taking the piss with the media school. Always presenting like you are in full control so people don't question you.
Considering how often we have turned games around from behind I'm sure he inspires them but I do wonder if this journey bullshit feeds into the psychy. Even if it doesn't I'm ******* sick of it as a supporter. Just stand up in front of the media and say yep we missed a real chance and it's not good enough.

Unsure if he'd get the arse should we miss finals next year but he'll be well and truly under the pump that's for sure.
Keeping things in perspective this year I think it's been a pretty good effort to be where we are when you consider the lack of stability we've faced through injuries and suspensions (our fault).
That being said, to get ourselves into a good position and half piss it away over the last month or so has been really disappointing.
I don't really know what to feel about this year to date. Part of me has been so excited with what we've thrown up while the other part of me has been absolutely filthy! These are signs of a developing side I know and I, like most, are sick of us 'developing' but unfortunately we just ARE.
2017 was never going to be our year IMO but we've made sure of it with the last few efforts.
I think he's a good coach, made some good moves earlier in the season that proved to be the difference.
Mike Sheahan said on SEN this morning he was at a function on Sunday with Viney who mentioned that Goody blew his stack at half time so he's got it in him, not that it had a huge impact.

Actually he comes from the 'Paul Roos' taking the piss with the media school. Always presenting like you are in full control so people don't question you.
Considering how often we have turned games around from behind I'm sure he inspires them but I do wonder if this journey bullshit feeds into the psychy. Even if it doesn't I'm ******* sick of it as a supporter. Just stand up in front of the media and say yep we missed a real chance and it's not good enough.

Just playing devils advocate, remember Neeld after we lost to Brisbane round 1 he lost the playing group thanks to one post game presser. What Goody gives to the media and what he says to the playing would have different intents i'd say but its anyone guess as we don't have access to what he says inside the four walls (couldn't not use that line!)........but i will agree it would be nice to hear all coaches be a little more direct, but i'd say with this young group in years to come Goody may be more assured giving them a back hander through the media.

Just playing devils advocate, remember Neeld after we lost to Brisbane round 1 he lost the playing group thanks to one post game presser. What Goody gives to the media and what he says to the playing would have different intents i'd say but its anyone guess as we don't have access to what he says inside the four walls (couldn't not use that line!)........but i will agree it would be nice to hear all coaches be a little more direct, but i'd say with this young group in years to come Goody may be more assured giving them a back hander through the media.

I thought he lost them when he called Moloney and watts pissweak on day 1

I thought he lost them when he called Moloney and watts pissweak on day 1

He probably did.....but what i was more referring to what Neeld said publicly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodwin is safe as houses to see out his contract, unless we slide massively next year, even then I think we'd back him in. We wouldn't want the succession plan to just stop there and then without giving him a proper chance.

2017, I think he gets a pass mark given the injuries and likely mathematical improvement.

And FWIW I just went searching for Neeld's press conference in question and stumbled across this. Confirmed my suspicions that everyone loved Neeld in the beginning. I guess it's easy to be loved when you're spinning s**t in the media and before all the losses start to mount.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/mark-neeld-big-tick.883216/page-6

Goodwin is safe as houses to see out his contract, unless we slide massively next year, even then I think we'd back him in. We wouldn't want the succession plan to just stop there and then without giving him a proper chance.

2017, I think he gets a pass mark given the injuries and likely mathematical improvement.

And FWIW I just went searching for Neeld's press conference in question and stumbled across this. Confirmed my suspicions that everyone loved Neeld in the beginning. I guess it's easy to be loved when you're spinning s**t in the media and before all the losses start to mount.

Tbh we were desperate for someone to come in and be hard on the players after Bailey coddled them.

I think most of us fell for the tough approach early on. Kick out the trash and make the players work their arses off on the track. Problem is, that approach doesn't work anymore. Players today don't respond well to that type of coach. Plus it was evident that he didn't really have a gameplan and obviously lost the playing group within weeks of being there. I feel sorry for him in a way as he didn't have the support Goodwin has now or the playing depth in the list to have even a chance. Obviously Paul Roos was great, but the two best things to happen to this club were Peter Jackson and Jason Taylor and I'm not sure either would be with us if not for us enduring the Neeld saga. Goodwin has time on his hands, but jungle drums will be beating if we don't play finals next year.

Even if we dont win another game, it cant be said Goodwin has taken a backward step. Until he does, i cant entertain any ideas of sacking him

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think anyone is calling for his head. But I agree if we don't make finals next year, he rightly comes under scrutiny. We have the list bar one or two obvious needs, and he has the support behind him. Absolutely no excuses next year IMO.

I don't think anyone is calling for his head. But I agree if we don't make finals next year, he rightly comes under scrutiny. We have the list bar one or two obvious needs, and he has the support behind him. Absolutely no excuses next year IMO.

True, but with another season of list improvement, it'll take a gargantuan injury list to stop us being competetive week in week out.

This year has been pretty good considering all the factors. I think it just hard being a sniff of success after years of pain only to have it look like another false dawn.

I'd be demanding 13 wins minimum next year, circumstances permitting.

True, but with another season of list improvement, it'll take a gargantuan injury list to stop us being competetive week in week out.

This year has been pretty good considering all the factors. I think it just hard being a sniff of success after years of pain only to have it look like another false dawn.

I'd be demanding 13 wins minimum next year, circumstances permitting.

That's what Port circa 13/14 would have thought. We still have a lot of work to do in developing players before anything is guaranteed.
It's been another year and another season of players failing to make the leap from B to A grade

That's what Port circa 13/14 would have thought. We still have a lot of work to do in developing players before anything is guaranteed.
It's been another year and another season of players failing to make the leap from B to A grade

Again true, but it has been a season where our bottom 6 has improved dramatically. And we've had players like Nibbler go from D to B.

We won't win a flag until we get a star or two, but the improvement at the bottom end has done well.

Bump.

What the * was that ******* first quarter?

Surely, that's when the coach has the most influence. Goldwin is a ******* dickhead.

Not sure how we can blame Goodwin for the lack of intensity. Our leaders were our biggest disappointment today, that isn't Goodwins fault lol. I do think he goes with a loose man back way too much though.

Not sure how we can blame Goodwin for the lack of intensity. Our leaders were our biggest disappointment today, that isn't Goodwins fault lol. I do think he goes with a loose man back way too much though.
Look, there's obviously some melting on my behalf, but I disagree strongly.

Today was the day to throw caution to the wind and burst some sacks, break some jaws and puncture some lungs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back