Analysis Coaching discussion 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Look, there's obviously some melting on my behalf, but I disagree strongly.

Today was the day to throw caution to the wind and burst some sacks, break some jaws and puncture some lungs.
The players certainly have more to answer for than Goodwin today. They cost us the game, don't think it's got really anything to do with Goodwin's coaching.

Spot on schmuttt ... SackLunch if the players need inspiring by a coach when a finals birth is on the line for the first time in 10 years that isn't the coaches problem.

Also at 3 qtr time they were hanging off everything goody said

Everyone talks about Jones but Watts/Tmac/Gawn/Jetta have been at the club for a long time without seeing finals as well.
Hibberd and Melk have never played in a winning final.

There was nothing that could have been done. What we needed was a bunch of blokes who didn't go to water under pressure.

I'd be sacking Troy Chaplin. Our forward set up is a joke.

It's a bit chicken and egg for mine. Is it the forwards who don't know how to position themselves or is it the horrible ball movement from our legion of inside midfielders

We've had woeful first quarters a lot this year. Most of that is on the players but when it's a regular problem the coach also has to take some responsibility.

We've had woeful first quarters a lot this year. Most of that is on the players but when it's a regular problem the coach also has to take some responsibility.

I guess this is the main point I was trying to make. Was too pissed/pissed off at the time to be coherent.

Don't disagree with anyone though, the players have to shoulder the responsibility.

The players must of been as nervous as us fans and were clearly affected by what it all meant. We were mentally off which was so disappointing because it's so hard to snap mid game.

Richmond have been similar for years, although this year they have their stars in top form which would create a lot of belief for everyone else. We are still short on star power, our young guns still aren't there yet.

I'm happy with Goody's first year, he's been good with selection, we have a recognisable game plan and we know what makes it work. It suits the players on our list and is exciting to watch. I'll be concerned if it's exactly the same next year though because I think it is too easy to shut down.

Goodwin is experiencing the same problem Roos had, that when we are getting belted in clutch games we can't turn it around mid-quarter. We always have to collectively re-group.

Yesterday a prime example. We were nervous, lacked concentration, lacked composure and lacked intensity. A good team has leaders who can not only sense this but do something about it to limit the damage.

Having said that I don't think we treated that game the right way. I reckon if we focussed on one main thing that opening 20 minutes rather than too many things we could have nullified the quarter. Young team, nervous, too many things going through their minds - just focus on tackling. Transfer the pressure to the opponent and branch out as the game goes on. Instead they did the complete opposite.

Worst part was you could see blokes throwing everything at it. Hunt, Petracca, Lewis, Oliver, hell even Watts.

But it was inconsistent. Plenty of others were very nervous.

i defended Troy Chaplin for a while, but now having really looked at it, he looks like a Leigh Brown type hiring
I just don't understand it. If we had hired him in a junior role, eg as a Casey assistant or something down the development rung, it would have made some sort of sense. But to have him jump straight in as effectively one of our three main assistant coaches... I could maybe understand it if you were getting in a premiership champion like say Luke Hodge, but what did Chaplin achieve during his career that he didn't have to work through the lower ranks?

If you look at a team like Adelaide that does it well three of their four main assistants (mids, forwards, backs, rucks) have been assistant coaches for at least a decade. I reckon that similar to senior coaching appointments which have trended towards much more experienced people in recent years, assistant coaching will also go that way (and already has at the really good clubs). We missed the boat especially considering we had a rookie senior coach in this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah where has Goodwin been? Really not happy with him hiding for a week. MFC served up a s**t sandwich to its supporters in the last round and he should have been front and centre.

Honestly i didn't mind Goodwin hiding, he knows he'll say something stupid when it was still raw. i know you gotta front up as a coach, but it was probably best he let the dust settle first

Honestly i didn't mind Goodwin hiding, he knows he'll say something stupid when it was still raw. i know you gotta front up as a coach, but it was probably best he let the dust settle first
Agreed. The media would be all over us if we made some sort of comment after round 23. Best for us to let the dust settle.

On Chaplin and the coaching structure, I think our structure is quite different to a lot of clubs in terms of "lines". I would think he is more about ball movement. In fact, a lot of our defensive play in terms of the rapid launch tactics remind me of a prime Chaplin.

12 wins, 10 losses is a fantastic result for a first year coach.

As disappointing as not playing finals in 2017 is, I think the win/loss is far more telling and relevant.

12 wins, 10 losses is a fantastic result for a first year coach.

As disappointing as not playing finals in 2017 is, I think the win/loss is far more telling and relevant.
It's good that we got 2 more wins this year than last year which means we've won more games each season for the past 4 years. I still consider the year a fail as I think we should've improved enough as a team to make the top 8. I think 2018 is going to be the start of sustained finals appearances for us and we could find ourselves in premiership contention soon.

On Chaplin and the coaching structure, I think our structure is quite different to a lot of clubs in terms of "lines". I would think he is more about ball movement. In fact, a lot of our defensive play in terms of the rapid launch tactics remind me of a prime Chaplin.

I can't say I remember Chaplin ever being in his prime, I thought he was fairly average the whole way through his career

I can't say I remember Chaplin ever being in his prime, I thought he was fairly average the whole way through his career
Had a pretty good couple of years at the Tiges

Also trying to base coaching skills on a players ability is *ed.

Michael Voss James Hird Nathan Buckley

Alistair Clarkson Kevin Sheedy Luke Beverage

Barrassi and Matthews were freaks but just cause a player was s**t it doesn't mean anything

Also trying to base coaching skills on a players ability is ******ed.

Michael Voss James Hird Nathan Buckley

Alistair Clarkson Kevin Sheedy Luke Beverage

Barrassi and Matthews were freaks but just cause a player was s**t it doesn't mean anything

That is a good point, I didn't think of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back