Analysis Coaching discussion 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Firstly this isn't a sack the coach thread, Goodwin will hopefully keep learning and improving. Just thought we needed a new thread to discuss this stuff rather than have it scattered.

Again I haven't watched the game but I feel like Goodys coaching philosophy is a bit flawed. He wants to play fearless football and build from the contest out, but there's two problems with that:

a) Our skills across the board aren't good enough

b) What is our plan for losing the contest? It's ok to recruit players who are good at winning but when teams get a run on against us in midfield we get steamrolled. ThePuppetMaster you were right last week and I was wrong, teams score way too easily against us.

Also we've got a big imbalance with our mids. Way too many 'see ball get ball' guys which leads to very little defensive coverage at stoppages, as Topkent said not everyone can win the clearance. Viney in particular looks lost atm, what is his role?

Our number one issue is getting caught out on the rebound / transition / counter, whatever you want to call it. We just get hammered on a weekly basis from that. Need to improve our defensive once we have lost the ball / contest. Cutting back a couple of goals against us a week from this would help a lot.

Goodwin was the beneficiary of the clubs succession plan, he's been able to sit back over the last couple of years and learn from a very goo coach. Now after 4 games and 2 wins how do you think he's going. What do you think he's done well, or not so good.

He was the driving force behind trading for Melksham and Hibberd, so far with what I've seen of Milkshake it's been a poor result for us and Hibberd has had injury issues and hasn't played a game. Unless Hibberd can star when he finally gets a game I think it's been a waste of two years worth of 2nd round picks.

The decision to make Viney a co-captain was premature and unnecessary. There was no need for it and pretty disrespectful to Jones, Viney is still young but he really needed to prove himself first.

My last issue is that we've gone back to a high possession game, towards the end of last year we were playing a high intensity attacking brand that was bloody exciting.

Edit: I didn't see Schmutt's thread on the same, sorry mods

I reckon our two big issues are lack of forward defensive pressure and conceding goals late in quarters.

With respect to forward pressure, between Watts, Hannan, Kent and Weideman they later a combined theee tackles today. That just doesn't cut it. If defenders aren't under pressure when they have the ball they can find a target and move the ball through our high press way too easily. I like the high press but we have to be better defensively in our forward 50 if we are to persist with it. One tackle between Hannan and Kent is a disgrace as small forwards.

And as for getting goals kicked against us in the last minute of a quarter, is there any better way to throw away momentum and belief. It drives me ******* crazy how often we do this.

There's no issues with our effort but something just isn't quite clicking for us

There's a few things I noticed

1. I saw our mids drifting forward at stoppages before we even had control of the ball multiple times. When Freo got the ball there was no one covering out the back of the stoppages and they just ran easily into space. that was annoying

2. As has been mentioned there has been far too many easy goals over the back in the last few weeks. We have to stop pressing up so high when the opposition get on top of us and go back to some dour Roos footy until we get momentum back. 7 goals in a quarter should never happen if we're a serious team

3. Gee it would have been good to have Hogan and Lewis out there today...

I reckon our two big issues are lack of forward defensive pressure and conceding goals late in quarters.

With respect to forward pressure, between Watts, Hannan, Kent and Weideman they later a combined theee tackles today. That just doesn't cut it. If defenders aren't under pressure when they have the ball they can find a target and move the ball through our high press way too easily. I like the high press but we have to be better defensively in our forward 50 if we are to persist with it. One tackle between Hannan and Kent is a disgrace as small forwards.

And as for getting goals kicked against us in the last minute of a quarter, is there any better way to throw away momentum and belief. It drives me ******* crazy how often we do this.
That's ******* shiiiiit. To be honest, and haven't watched today's game in full yet, I'm not sure Kent should actually be in the team

Melksham: Unmitigated ballsup.
Hibberd: Far too early to say
Viney: another ballsup. I'd favour taking the co-captaincy off him and ask him to earn it back. Jones is in another class at this stage and shouldn't have been asked to share the captaincy with somebody who hasn't earned it.
General game style and coaching: Not too bad.

There's no issues with our effort but something just isn't quite clicking for us

There's a few things I noticed

1. I saw our mids drifting forward at stoppages before we even had control of the ball multiple times. When Freo got the ball there was no one covering out the back of the stoppages and they just ran easily into space. that was annoying

2. As has been mentioned there has been far too many easy goals over the back in the last few weeks. We have to stop pressing up so high when the opposition get on top of us and go back to some dour Roos footy until we get momentum back. 7 goals in a quarter should never happen if we're a serious team

3. Gee it would have been good to have Hogan and Lewis out there today...
Nailed it with point 1. Lots of cheating forward of the contest today. Ball would be in dispute and our players would be running forward prior to gaining posession. Immensely frustrating and says to me they got ahead of themselves after second quarter. Should be easily identified & fixed during review

I'm actually happy with the game style. Unfortunately we have been hammered with injuries, and coupled with the suspensions it's gone off the rails early. But I think it's sustainable and effective. I'd love to actually play 3 KPDs as we actually have 3 mobile KPDs which would be effective.

(Also merged the threads)

Big test of his mettle to see what he does with Melksham. He can't let his relationship with him blind his selections.

I was appalled at the recruitment of Milkshakes and I hope I'm proven wrong. But as it stands, after a year out, he's nowhere near the required standard and needs to find form in the VFL.

If I saw Simon Goodwin in the street I would offer him $50 to let me punch him square in the jaw. I want to feel my knuckles deep inside his cheekbones. The amount of crap this bloke has already put me through has infuriated me to a level that even Neeld took 2 years to get to. I want him to feel the fury of my melting right through his cheeks. Terry Wallace could have coached us through this period 4-0 for *s sake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big test of his mettle to see what he does with Melksham. He can't let his relationship with him blind his selections.

I was appalled at the recruitment of Milkshakes and I hope I'm proven wrong. But as it stands, after a year out, he's nowhere near the required standard and needs to find form in the VFL.

I agree with this. He is the obvious out for Hibberd but will he have the balls to do it?

Firstly this isn't a sack the coach thread, Goodwin will hopefully keep learning and improving. Just thought we needed a new thread to discuss this stuff rather than have it scattered.

Again I haven't watched the game but I feel like Goodys coaching philosophy is a bit flawed. He wants to play fearless football and build from the contest out, but there's two problems with that:

a) Our skills across the board aren't good enough

b) What is our plan for losing the contest? It's ok to recruit players who are good at winning but when teams get a run on against us in midfield we get steamrolled. ThePuppetMaster you were right last week and I was wrong, teams score way too easily against us.

Also we've got a big imbalance with our mids. Way too many 'see ball get ball' guys which leads to very little defensive coverage at stoppages, as Topkent said not everyone can win the clearance. Viney in particular looks lost atm, what is his role?

One thing I noticed about Carlton Geelong and Freo was in their periods of dominance it was 1 or 2 players winning clearances not 7

Cripps for Carlton, Danger and Selwood for the cats and Fyfe was huge for Freo

When we are losing clearances Viney Tyson Oliver become fairly useless because they don't help out in defense and don't transition between attack and defence
When we are winning the clearances Oliver feeds it outside the initial contest which again makes Tyson and Viney useless
We have an unbalanced side

Viney needs to spend a couple weeks playing a defensive game. I'm talking 15 tackles and stopping his opponent because he isn't impacting the game the other way

One thing I noticed about Carlton Geelong and Freo was in their periods of dominance it was 1 or 2 players winning clearances not 7

When we are losing clearances Viney Tyson Oliver become fairly useless because they don't help out in defense and don't transition between attack and defence
When we are winning the clearances Oliver feeds it outside the initial contest which again makes Tyson and Viney useless

Viney needs to spend a couple weeks playing a defensive game. I'm talking 15 tackles and stopping his opponent because he isn't impacting the game the other way

Yep. You watch the clearances we lose and the first handball the oppo get is ALWAYS to a free man because our mids get sucked into ball chasing.

I'd kill for a prime Jimmy Bartel, Luke Hodge or Tyson Stenglein right now, it is exactly what we need :(

Yep. You watch the clearances we lose and the first handball the oppo get is ALWAYS to a free man because our mids get sucked into ball chasing.

I'd kill for a prime Jimmy Bartel, Luke Hodge or Tyson Stenglein right now, it is exactly what we need :(

Yeah we need a leader down back big time. Not sure who that is.

On a side note I thought Trac gradually came of age. Kicked 2 pretty special goals

Seems like a good mentor for younger players, but I'm seriously questioning his ability to coach game day. Has had 1 good game in 4. Not good enough tbh..

The number of times i saw a clearance where they dished it forward to 2 midfielders on the goal-side with no opponent on them was alarming.

They also had the option out wide, which Sandy kept hitting it out to..... i know this because Ross said it on the coverage BEFORE THE GAME!

Honestly, our line up was not the level we see taking us forward. Weid kicks that goal maybe its a different story. Who knows.

Just dissapointed, not sure how Goody was coaching on gameday.

It seems we've gone too far in the opposite of Roos first year

Overly defensive has changed to a team with no defensive accountability

Our defensive ineptitude is compounded by offensive inefficiency.

It drives me crazy that we seem to spend five minutes piss farting about with the ball, trying to walk it in and eventually scoring only to cough up a goal 10 seconds after a resulting Centre bounce.

The game is becoming more and more like basketball in terms of momentum shifts and points scored streaks. We don't capitalise on our time in control and don't stifle and frustrate the opposition when it's their turn.

Maybe it's a symptom of a young side still but our football under Goodwin is incredibly arrogant and dishonest.

We do that all over the ground, not just in the midfield. 5 blokes going for a spoil in the backline leaving unmarked forwards all over the place. Ditto in the forward line with no one to crumb. Communication and understanding is limited. The nicest thing I can say about it is our players are all very confidently optimistic.

Our defensive ineptitude is compounded by offensive inefficiency.

It drives me crazy that we seem to spend five minutes piss farting about with the ball, trying to walk it in and eventually scoring only to cough up a goal 10 seconds after a resulting Centre bounce.

The game is becoming more and more like basketball in terms of momentum shifts and points scored streaks. We don't capitalise on our time in control and don't stifle and frustrate the opposition when it's their turn.

Maybe it's a symptom of a young side still but our football under Goodwin is incredibly arrogant and dishonest.
Was like in the cats game. We seemed to dominate play for extended periods and not score. Geelong get the ball 2 kicks later they're having a shot

Re Viney - I was thinking the same thing. We should give him the task of trying to quell Dusty or Cotchin next Monday. I have a feeling Viney would relish the role.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back