Roast Coaching discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Touch wood before this weekend, but the difference is we have been in most games when the whips are cracking, even though we haven't quite managed a big scalp we have made the opposition earn it (except the Sydney game). In 2010/11 we got hammered by the best sides and beat up on those below us, that's not the case this time around. We're closing the gap

If we convert on the close games we should've won (North and West Coast) and we don't put up any abominations like we did against the Bombers, that's 3 more wins and pushing finals.

I'm confident that we'll one day decide to turn up against the Saints, particularly if they give us a game against them at the MCG.

Fixturing is gonna be big for us next year - we finally command some attention in terms of a Friday night game or two, and less bullshit (i.e. no home games at Etihad).

If we convert on the close games we should've won (North and West Coast) and we don't put up any abominations like we did against the Bombers, that's 3 more wins and pushing finals.

I'm confident that we'll one day decide to turn up against the Saints, particularly if they give us a game against them at the MCG.

Fixturing is gonna be big for us next year - we finally command some attention in terms of a Friday night game or two, and less bullshit (i.e. no home games at Etihad).
I think there is almost no chance we will be given one Friday night game let alone 2 next year, and we will have a home game at Etihad. I would rather go back to the scenario where it isn't against an Etihad tenant though.

I think there is almost no chance we will be given one Friday night game let alone 2 next year, and we will have a home game at Etihad. I would rather go back to the scenario where it isn't against an Etihad tenant though.

Give us Collingwood twice again and make the second one a Friday night game.

Don't want to be too negative. I do believe we are heading in the right direction, and that this list is good enough to make finals. I'm not sure who it was on here that said that they're sick of beating the same sides year after year. I must admit there is a bit of 2010/2011 in that sense you know interstate teams at the g. But unlike those years I do think where heading in the right direction. Cautiously optimistic for 2017.

I love to be cynical about us, but our worst loss this year was the Swans by 55 (Touch wood as that could change this weekend). We lost to Essendon, no doubt about it that was a disgusting performance. However we should have beaten North and WCE plus seriously pushed the Hawks and Crows. In 2011 we flogged the poor interstate sides but showed no backbone against decent clubs.

I love to be cynical about us, but our worst loss this year was the Swans by 55 (Touch wood as that could change this weekend). We lost to Essendon, no doubt about it that was a disgusting performance. However we should have beaten North and WCE plus seriously pushed the Hawks and Crows. In 2011 we flogged the poor interstate sides but showed no backbone against decent clubs.
Yeah definitely more competitive than the 2010/11 era. Though 2010 we did push some good teams probably should of beaten Collingwood (eventual premiers) least once and we definitely should of beaten the dogs. Umpires wearing pink two disallowed goals, brian lake going forward kicking rare goals. I don't remember really bad losses in 2010. Then 2011 yes we had the same record but we really went backwards, I don't count the the two wins against the suns as it was their first year so those were shoe ins. Maybe to rephrase I'm giving this year a tick. Next year is the which will completely convince me.

Yeah definitely more competitive than the 2010/11 era. Though 2010 we did push some good teams probably should of beaten Collingwood (eventual premiers) least once and we definitely should of beaten the dogs. Umpires wearing pink two disallowed goals, brian lake going forward kicking rare goals. I don't remember really bad losses in 2010. Then 2011 yes we had the same record but we really went backwards, I don't count the the two wins against the suns as it was their first year so those were shoe ins. Maybe to rephrase I'm giving this year a tick. Next year is the which will completely convince me.

Agree next year is very important. Honestly I'm not confident at all of finals, a lot will depend on our off-season.

No doubt it will be hard to crack into the 8. Hard to see what teams in the current 8 will slide next year, or how to stay above the other teams knocking on the door. I'm hoping for a 10 to 12 win season which may not be enough it's funny how13 to 14 wins is the safe mark which is equivalent of our 04 season.

Only 2 years ago everyone thought port were the real deal now who knows where that teams at. West coast won't miss if they can maintain their flat track bullies reputation intact. Hard to tell with north but they won't get that 9-zip start again.

On trajectory 2018 is when Melbourne supporters legitimately should get pissy with no finals, but a fair wind - good pre-season plus no significant injury could mean next year might be a finals chance too. Hope so.

* it. Can we not just beat the ******* Saints please?

Individually we would need some players to step into AA contention and a couple out of the blue aswell, Id doubt we play finals next year but of course anythings possible
We would need a Watts, Stretch, Kent, Hunt, Petracca a couple of those to become stars unexpectedly like the Dogs had with Wood/Johanissen/Dalhaus etc

We should improve next year, but then StKilda, Port, Collingwood, GCS, Carlton Essendon and Freo will be expecting to improve next year so we could easily be better and still finish 12th-9th again.
Tyson and Viney need to spend the off season learning how to kick, Oliver needs a tank. Omac needs strength work and Tmac needs to watch hours on defenders like Taylor, Rance, Gibson etc and learn more about the craft

Salem and Melksham have to come in with Stretch and make a difference on the wings, they need to be delivering the footy into the forward 50 more so that Tyson and Viney can concentrate on the stoppages

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone think that Roosy will end up as a development coach anywhere
The work he's done with Watts is nothing short of amazing

Doubt he will do any form of coaching again. He only came to us because of the pay packet (I don't mean that in a bad way, but it's true). Think he will be pleased he has improved Melbourne and might do some media work but reckon he will be happy to fade into the background.

Doubt he will do any form of coaching again. He only came to us because of the pay packet (I don't mean that in a bad way, but it's true). Think he will be pleased he has improved Melbourne and might do some media work but reckon he will be happy to fade into the background.

I would hate to see him at another club be he is a loss to the game if he never does any coaching again, even 5 years from now you would be crazy not to have him involved at your club

Does anyone think that Roosy will end up as a development coach anywhere
The work he's done with Watts is nothing short of amazing
I reckon so. He loves footy and I especially think he loves the development side of it.
The whole America thing is a bit of a ruse I reckon (I genuinely believe his love for it; also pretty sure his wife is from the US). I have no doubt he'll spend a lot of time there, but it gives him a nice out to not have to entertain offers he doesn't really want.
We might not see him for a while but I doubt he'll cut ties with footy altogether.

The list change is amazing, has always had a focus on being competitive and bringing in competitors. I can't think of a player that he's brought in that's been useless. Unlike neeld bringing in guys like rodan and other players names I dare not mention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back