Remove this Banner Ad

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
In all the major sports around the world i.e soccer, NFL, baseball, basketball, the head coaches are all on the sidelines, talking to players directly.

Lately, in the last few weeks, i have seen more AFL coaches leaving the box altogether and coaching from the sidelines too. More than ive ever seen. Richardson coached most, if not the entire game, from the sidelines yesterday and Cameron is coaching there today as well.

I understand these teams are struggling, so coaches are coming down to make sure the message is coming across clearly. If thats the case, why coach in the box at all?

With the recent issues with the Bombers coaching box and the firing of a coach due to communcation issues inside the box. Does this mark a change in game day coaching, where coaches will spend more time on the sidelines and talking directly with players?

I think some coaches saw Clarkson coach partially from the sidelines and did follow the leader.

They're nuts...those other sports have playing fields half the size and you cannot possibly coach at AFL level for the whole game from the sidelines....they're all doing to it just show some bozo in their administration that they are indeed doing all they can to lift their flagging fortunes.....

Think about even from a fan's perspective. Can you see the game unfold better from the sideline or from up high? The size of the grounds, the number of players....you can't see the full picture from ground level.

Surely it depends on what coaching role they want to take for that point in time.

If it's about man-management, trying to get a read on players and motivate them directly, then coaching from the side - and trusting the coaching team to manage tactics - is the way to go. You can understand why coaches of developing clubs would go for that approach; it's more important to be able to give direct feedback to players than perhaps to keep tactical control.

However, if you're looking at on-the-day execution rather than player development, then you absolutely need that elevation. Soccer doesn't have footy's size or its chaos; the days of sitting on the bench as a lone coach are very much over.

The key, I think, is that coaches now delegate and coach as a team. If the head coach plays one particular role, it's because they're trusting others to take over.

Interesting Leon ciached from the bench tonight for the first time. With the players confidence an issue it seemed to work well.
He said it was so he understood what their going through, but he also commented being able to speak directly to the players on the interchange bench was his aim.

Even if you don't prefer coaching from the sidelines, it makes sense to leave the box some time before the end of the quarter.

Arguably more valuable than watching the last five minutes of the quarter from above.

The coaches can obtain info from the players and staff on the bench, and when the siren sounds the coaches are there and ready to speak with the players.

Roosy started doing this with the Swans years ago.

Never got why they do it in overseas sports that don't have runners though. 80,000 screaming fans in the stadium - as if the players (who half the time don't even speak the same language as the coach very well) can hear a single bloody word he's saying!

British soccer managers crack me up. Seeing them there in their overcoats, standing under their little plexiglass shells and wildly gesticulating - they always remind me of a raving drunk at a bus stop at 2 in the morning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back