Coach Coaching News and Discussion

Seems we don't have a thread for general news and discussion of coaching, including assistant coaches (apart from the periodic "Bevo Out" threads).

Seems crazy that we're posting news of assistant coaches in the trades and list management thread. They'll be buried within days there.

So here's one to start: Jordan Russell has quit his new job as Footscray VFL coach and joined North Melbourne as an assistant coach (Midfield).

dergert

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it too late to shake up our senior assistants?

Would be keen to see what Rohan Smith could do with our VFL side.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Welcome aboard Travis Varcoe!

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
According to their property steward, Bombres think they've signed some bloke called Gian Siracusa. Maybe Gia still works for us, and we've shafted them by letting them draw up contracts using the wrong name.
LOL yes I saw that one. Reminded me of this:

CV5DcZXXIAMUV1r

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m sure there will be some idiots who will think we only got Varcoe just because of JUH but Travis Varcoe is highly regarded and an awesome person. He will be great for culture and development.

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
I’m sure there will be some idiots who will think we only got Varcoe just because of JUH but Travis Varcoe is highly regarded and an awesome person. He will be great for culture and development.

Hello, adogsfan, from one of your 'some idiots'

Can you expand upon ‘is highly regarded’ ? Passive voice, who regards Varcoe highly ? why ? He’s just retired from playing, what experience or what qualities, elephant please leave the room, does he have that add to the Club’s development coaching team ? ‘awesome person’ ? I was once described as ‘awesome’ because I said that I’d open a door !

The Club website says

Varcoe will join the Club’s AFL development coaching team, led by Jamie Maddocks, with his primary role focussing on working with the Club’s exciting up-and-coming talent.

As part of the role, he will also act as a mentor to newly-recruited Indigenous youngster Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, and will be involved in the Club’s Reconciliation Action Plan activities and Western Bulldogs Community Foundation programs (my underlings)

Of course he was 'got' because of JUH. Nothing wrong with that, is there ? is that you Ameet ? Has Hubris has got the better of you ? If not, check your school aged childrens' internet history. Merry Xmas from the Mitchell family

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder who takes over Footscray, we usually promote within for that role I can’t see us bringing someone in for it. Bubba? I think he’d go well with his own side. Hopefully Hansen to get him away from the forward line...

D Mitchell

Premiership Player
Jul 28, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Football Club
The completely tone deaf comments by some on here trouble me more than a bit. The unconscious bias is deafening.

Remove 'em all, Mutt. Let Xi Jinping be your mentor

PS Not anything from D Mitchell, of course.

PPS I've just read that CCP reckons Aus discriminates against Chinese companies. Include Mitchell Inc Pty Ltd.

Last edited:
Remove 'em all, Mutt. Let Xi Jinping be your mentor

PS Not anything from D Mitchell, of course.

PPS I've just read that CCP reckons Aus discriminates against Chinese companies. Include Mitchell Inc Pty Ltd.
QED.

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Who is Stewart Edge? I don’t mind the idea of non big names, they seem to always make the best coaches. Where is he from, what is his record, etc?
Looks to have already been with the club for years? Bit disappointing to be honest.

When was the last time we brought in a new coach with experience? I honestly don’t think we’ve had one under Bevo.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don’t know whether coaches can help with this problem. We’ve all heard the rumours with our players in 2020 in the hub. I just caught up with a friend who was a player sponsor to one of our younger players who is in and out of the team. The young player is hanging on to his AFL dream by his fingernails and can’t just request a trade like a big name can. This youngster is hating life at the club, and says if you’re not in Libba’s clique you’re on the outer. And that clique votes in certain players to leadership roles and generally has a poor culture to be a success in a professional sport. It’s bringing down morale, and we all know how quickly that kills the spirit at a work place. And some of these guys are the ones on big money and get picked every week. And these guys that are doing the right things, are on a lot less money and are working their arses off but don’t have the talent and not always getting picked. That the club was happy to move on or discipline Dahlhaus and Stringer and the like, but finds it difficult to do so with sons of past champions.

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I don’t know whether coaches can help with this problem. We’ve all heard the rumours with our players in 2020 in the hub. I just caught up with a friend who was a player sponsor to one of our younger players who is in and out of the team. The young player is hanging on to his AFL dream by his fingernails and can’t just request a trade like a big name can. This youngster is hating life at the club, and says if you’re not in Libba’s clique you’re on the outer. And that clique votes in certain players to leadership roles and generally has a poor culture to be a success in a professional sport. It’s bringing down morale, and we all know how quickly that kills the spirit at a work place. And some of these guys are the ones on big money and get picked every week. And these guys that are doing the right things, are on a lot less money and are working their arses off but don’t have the talent and not always getting picked. That the club was happy to move on or discipline Dahlhaus and Stringer and the like, but finds it difficult to do so with sons of past champions.

If we start worrying about the feelings of guys who can’t perform consistently at the top level we are in a world of trouble.

I don’t give two shits about cliques or who a players father is. If they perform they should play.

Lachie Hunter and Tom Liberatore were two of our most consistent elite performers last year. We all know they both have had their off field issues but they leave everything on the field week in and week out for the club.

The sorts of players that fit in to the category of the person complaining would be, Monica, Roarke, Dale, Gardener, Hayes, Young and Dunkley. Honestly they can all go walk to another team if they want to winge about culture.

We need performers with a hard edge. Wallis, Libba, Hunter, Cordy, West, are all hard at it and consistent performers.

Freshwater

Premiership Player
Oct 30, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If we start worrying about the feelings of guys who can’t perform consistently at the top level we are in a world of trouble.

I don’t give two shits about cliques or who a players father is. If they perform they should play.

Lachie Hunter and Tom Liberatore were two of our most consistent elite performers last year. We all know they both have had their off field issues but they leave everything on the field week in and week out for the club.

The sorts of players that fit in to the category of the person complaining would be, Monica, Roarke, Dale, Gardener, Hayes, Young and Dunkley. Honestly they can all go walk to another team if they want to winge about culture.

We need performers with a hard edge. Wallis, Libba, Hunter, Cordy, West, are all hard at it and consistent performers.
I do agree with you. If it is just a disgruntled fringe player with gripes fair enough. Actions on the field are very important, but not the only part of being a professional sportsman, especially in a team environment, that gets its income by representing us as members and supporters. If there is more to it than that, then this is the forum over summer to hold the board, then footy department to account and hopefully they are asking themselves why Dunks wanted to leave and what are some of the players professional standards?

Back