Coach Coaching Options

Remove this Banner Ad

No, this is not a "sack Bevo" thread. His departure is surely a given.

What I want to know is which aspiring coaches comprise the new breed? Who are our best options?
We need someone to (a) restore belief among the players (b) restore a decent game plan (c) anticipate the way the game is going (d) restore faith among the fans (e) get the players fit.

I'd imagine that Brendan Lade gets the temporary gig, maybe for the rest of the season. But who do we give the 2-3 year coaching contract to? I don't think Lade is in the front line of candidates and I would hate us to give him the contract just because he rescues our season to say an 8-15 result. That's the soft way out.

Also how do we restructure our assistant coaching ranks? The current mob are a joke and must surely go the same way as Bevo.

While we are at it, let's start the conversation about Chris Grant's replacement. Great bloke but his star surely sinks alongside Bevo's. Again, I don't want a Footscray old boy. I want a hard nut.

Nobody who is currently at the club. Nobody. No ex players, no jobs for the boys.

A fresh start, a clean sweep. A harder edge and no more bull** fairy stories. You either do the job and you do it well or you p* off. No more excuses, no more softness, no more soft, weak, pea hearts.

If the club has any guts at all, we will have a presser at 10am Monday.

No, this is not a "sack Bevo" thread. His departure is surely a given.

What I want to know is which aspiring coaches comprise the new breed? Who are our best options?
We need someone to (a) restore belief among the players (b) restore a decent game plan (c) anticipate the way the game is going (d) restore faith among the fans (e) get the players fit.

I'd imagine that Brendan Lade gets the temporary gig, maybe for the rest of the season. But who do we give the 2-3 year coaching contract to? I don't think Lade is in the front line of candidates and I would hate us to give him the contract just because he rescues our season to say an 8-15 result. That's the soft way out.

Also how do we restructure our assistant coaching ranks? The current mob are a joke and must surely go the same way as Bevo.

While we are at it, let's start the conversation about Chris Grant's replacement. Great bloke but his star surely sinks alongside Bevo's. Again, I don't want a Footscray old boy. I want a hard nut.
No idea on names but we need to identify the next Craig McRae type. The likes of Yze and Caracella are highly touted but I doubt many on here would know.

The club would probably hire Leon Cameron.

Unfortunately we’ll probably get the decision wrong as the people in charge of making the decision are the same people who have made a call which has people calling for the head of a coach 2 games into a contract extension.

The changes need to be made above Bevo before we can have any confidence in making the right decision for Bevos successor

I'm actually excited about a new coach. I'll back the club to make the right choice. We made the right call initially getting Bevo. No one can dispute that.

History shows that most of the time, new coaches proper in their first season. Check out old boys Clarko and Ross the Boss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leon Cameron. Adem Yze seems up to the job too.

I am interested in Caracella or Yze.

For a while Caracella was the next big thing. Has the game gone past him or is he still high on the list of likely new coaches in the AFL?

And what's behind the Yze push? Can someone explain the attraction to me?

Dean Cox
Yze
Caracella

NOT Gia
NOT Leon

Troy Chaplin? Defensive coach at the dees

Yze, Caracella obvious options.

Nigel Lappin? Premiership success as a player and has been at Geelong ever since and surely must have learnt a thing or two, or been apart of their success ever since.

I wouldn’t want Leon as head coach but I’d love to bring him in alongside a rookie coach, I think so many clubs have shown lately that an experienced ex-head coach alongside your rookie coach is a good move.

Let the new head coach/senior assistant pairing choose their whole panel. Smith can go or go back to a development role which suited him better, Spangher and Webb can go. Lade bit soon to say.

No idea on names but we need to identify the next Craig McRae type. The likes of Yze and Caracella are highly touted but I doubt many on here would know.
What scares me about recruiting the likes of Yze, Caracella, Solomon and Lade is that these blokes seem to apply for every vacant senior position, and are always rejected. We’d effectively be taking the scraps that Essendon, Saints, Carlton, etc. decided weren’t good enough for their success starved clubs.

Troy Chaplin? Defensive coach at the dees

Yze, Caracella obvious options.

Nigel Lappin? Premiership success as a player and has been at Geelong ever since and surely must have learnt a thing or two, or been apart of their success ever since.

I wouldn’t want Leon as head coach but I’d love to bring him in alongside a rookie coach, I think so many clubs have shown lately that an experienced ex-head coach alongside your rookie coach is a good move.

Let the new head coach/senior assistant pairing choose their whole panel. Smith can go or go back to a development role which suited him better, Spangher and Webb can go. Lade bit soon to say.
The best sides right now all seem to have ex-senior coaches on their panels. Melbourne has Richardson, the Pies have Bolton and Leppitsch. Sydney has Pyke (and Cameron involved with their academy).

What scares me about recruiting the likes of Yze, Caracella, Solomon and Lade is that these blokes seem to apply for every vacant senior position, and are always rejected. We’d effectively be taking the scraps that Essendon, Saints, Carlton, etc. decided weren’t good enough for their success starved clubs.
It’s usually the case, there’s always these ‘next in line’ touted candidates flooding the media that are overlooked for someone no one knows, ie who knew McCrae before his appointment.

Id suggest it will be the same next time around, as fans we really just have no idea about this stuff I guess as there’s no way for us to know any better than what’s fed down our throats from the media.

Only thing I care about is they come from a successful environment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back