Coach Coaching Options

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently 3 coaches at second their second club Voss, Lion and Scott or 16.6%
4 flags from 33 years is 12.1%
or if you count multiple premierships 7 flags in 33 years is 21.2%

So, if the current situation is about the average amount of coaches at their second club per season the amount flags by won by second year coaches since 1990 is o/k.
Clarkson is coaching at his second club as well.

My point is most flags are won by coaches in their first coaching role. Re-cycled coaches rarely win flags. Most recycled coaches don't even get close to grand finals, even the good ones.

People saying Leon Cameron, honestly wtf?

He had the keys to the Ferrari and crashed it...

I know it won't happen BUT does anybody think Bevo should go sooner rather than later?

See what a new coach does for the season, and start shopping before a few other clubs start to look at giving their coach a tap on the shoulder.
No. A new coach wont come in until the season is over anyways so Lade will have to take over for the rest of the year.

I know it won't happen BUT does anybody think Bevo should go sooner rather than later?

See what a new coach does for the season, and start shopping before a few other clubs start to look at giving their coach a tap on the shoulder.
Would be fantastic but don’t think it’s viable as all the options would surely be contracted for the season and even if clubs don’t want to hold them back from a top gig I don’t think they could/would just walk out 2 games into a season.

So yeah I think it’d just mean Lade takes over for the season. Maybe that’s a good thing but also could be a negative as if we turn it around and play somewhat to the potential of the squad and win some games would the club just put him in full time without proper consideration? I feel like it’s always been the wrong call when a clubs gone with the caretaker due to a ‘dead cat bounce’

The players loved Steven King & Ash Hansen.

Why did they both leave within weeks of each of other ? This is after making GF mind you.

Hansen apparently wanted a head coaching job & thought moving clubs would improve his chances. However last year GWS & Essendon both asked him to interview for the head coaching job and he declined. Sometimes is clearly suss.

Hansen was for $, which was acknowledged by the Club.
Got an offer the Club couldn't match.

I’d even play him as a sub/assistant coach like Hodge at Brisbane.

interesting you suggest that as I thought that him moving to a weaker club like Gold Coast, WCE or North Melbourne to play/assistant coach for a year and then take on a permanent coaching role would have had appeal if it was offered to him.

I think he is going a year too long unfortunately and today he wouldn't be in your best side even as a sub.

I have no insider info but agree that there is no way he leaves. The only way he leaves this season is if he chooses to or does something not too dissimilar to last year with Tom Morris. They have just extended his contract and no one that did would want to pull the trigger now because that would put them in a hot seat as to why they extended him in the first place. Bevo provides cover for them.
Interestingly though, Saints fired Ratten months after he was signed to a deal.

Buckley has the best tactical brain I’ve ever seen live. He was the only media guy who picked the dogs for the GF in 2016 that I listened to live and he explained why they would win it piece by piece.

I’d happily try Hanson as a senior coach if we were going for a newbie.

Get Matty Boyd back and he can bring in Crossy as a fitness coach.

TBH I think our midfield has been a massive issue for 18 months and we are dealing with that drop off reality as much as anything.

I hope Bevo has the sense to drop on his sword and I think he probably will do so for the good of the players and the club if he can’t turn it in the next 8 -10 weeks (highly unlikely!)

Buckley has the best tactical brain I’ve ever seen live. He was the only media guy who picked the dogs for the GF in 2016 that I listened to live and he explained why they would win it piece by piece.
Really stands out as a commentator alongside smoothbrains like Garry Lyon and Jonathan Brown. Able to break down strategies and demonstrate why one team is outplaying the other. Belongs in coaching really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newish Doggies fan here who wasn't around for the last change from McCartney to Bevo: What was the feeling about/around the club towards the end of McCartney's era? Was it similar to this?

Newish Doggies fan here who wasn't around for the last change from McCartney to Bevo: What was the feeling about/around the club towards the end of McCartney's era? Was it similar to this?
Worse. Not only did we lose McCartney but we lost our captain and 1-2 others at the same time. Was a serious crisis, we aren't at that point yet, players aren't leaving or wanting out (Yet) but it doesn't take long for that to change.

Thing is, bevo would be swooped up by the next club with a coaching vacancy. And probably do pretty well with a fresh start and a line up of support staff.

Maybe he will get a word in his ear from elsewhere and he'll realise a mutual fresh start would suit everyone and he'd go with our blessing?

In hindsight.........ive had problems with his coaching and the football dept for along time.

…and failed dismally as senior coach of the Lions.
That was a long time ago. I'm sure he's better for the experience.
I'd love Mark Williams as well. He was also at Richmond during their run. Then he turned up at Melbourne and they've been fantastic since.

All this is for naught anyway. I don't think the club has the balls to move on Beveridge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back