Coach Coaching Options

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s this love affair some supporters have with Leppitsch?

Brendan Bolton coached Box Hill Hawks outright, successful assistant at the Hawks during 3peat era, also now director of coaching at Collingwood. Has better head coaching record than Leppitsch.

Would you consider Bolton a good fit?

If we’re going to hit up the ex coach well, why those with shithouse records?

What’s this love affair some supporters have with Leppitsch?

Brendan Bolton coached Box Hill Hawks outright, successful assistant at the Hawks during 3peat era, also now director of coaching at Collingwood. Has better head coaching record than Leppitsch.

Would you consider Bolton a good fit?

If we’re going to hit up the ex coach well, why those with shithouse records?

I’m a firm no for Leppa.

Strong yes for a new coach. Look at what new ideas did for us in 2015.

In hindsight.........ive had problems with his coaching and the football dept for along time.

Yep me as well especially after Bevo was allowed to completely re structure and re design the coaching panel after winning a flag in 2016 for the 2017 season

That was a long time ago. I'm sure he's better for the experience.
I'd love Mark Williams as well. He was also at Richmond during their run. Then he turned up at Melbourne and they've been fantastic since.

All this is for naught anyway. I don't think the club has the balls to move on Beveridge.
Mark Williams wasn’t apart of Richmond during their run he wasn’t offered a contract and was let go at the end of 2016.

I’m a firm no for Leppa.

Strong yes for a new coach. Look at what new ideas did for us in 2015.
When we hired Bevo in 2015 he was generational coach in waiting. He brought in 4-5 new ideas that changed the game.

• Aggressive zonal marking in defense
  • 3rd man up in ruck contests
  • quick handball around the contest
  • outnumber teams at the source
  • free attacking role for the 6th defender ie. Boyd, Biggs or Caleb

I'm not saying Bevo doesn't need to go but finding a new coach that will have significant impact is really difficult. Finding one that will have an impact like Bevo is almost impossible. Most coaches fail within the first few years.

25 games ago we were in a grand final...

The knee jerk reactions are ridiculous. We lost two very good players (Hunter and Dunkley). We have some key injuries particularly in the speed department (Treloar, Vandermeer, Weightman, Jones). We are a little bit off in confidence, and effort for some, and hence slower movement and less potency with the ball, which means our tall forwards are 2 or 3 out. But let's sack Bevo

It's a bit of an indictment on the football department that despite having some sort of 'review', the only change we ended up with was Brendon Lade who has never coached or been a part of a successful coaching environment.

The knee jerk reactions are ridiculous. We lost two very good players (Hunter and Dunkley). We have some key injuries particularly in the speed department (Treloar, Vandermeer, Weightman, Jones). We are a little bit off in confidence, and effort for some, and hence slower movement and less potency with the ball, which means our tall forwards are 2 or 3 out. But let's sack Bevo
Knee jerk? We've been playing like this for 2 years now and don't even look remotely like fixing it, The fact you have Vandermeer and Jones as "key injuries" suggest all I need to know

I thought we had a new game plan, new everything. Improved, learnt from the past mistakes blah blah blah

Turns out no, even Cordy knew enough of the same s**t that helped Lyon dismantle us.

Since 1990, only 4 coaches have won flags at a second club - Parkin in 95, Blight in 97/98, Matthews in 01/02/03 and Malthouse in 10.

Before them there are Barassi and Jeans, then back to Hughes in the 1930s and Worrall at Essendon in 1912.

Plenty of premiership coaches have moved elsewhere and failed to win a flag.

Also since 1990, 24 of 33 flags have been won by coaches at their first club.

History is against Leppitsch. And Cameron. And Lyon, Clarkson, Brad Scott and Voss for that matter.
Malthouse won flags at both his 2nd and 3rd clubs.

Since 1990, there have been 112 coaching appointments - including those who were hired prior to 1990 but still coaching from 1990 onwards, excluding caretaker positions and 2023 new hires. Of those 112 appointments, 79 were first timers (70.5%) and 33 had previous stints (29.5%). Of the 33 premierships won since 1990, 24 were to first timers (72.7%) and 9 were to coaches who had previous stints (27.3%).

In the AFL era there really isn't anything clear cut to say that you are more likely to win a flag with a new coach than a re-hired coach, or vice versa. The 'failure' rate (ie no premierships won) since 1990 for coaches, both re-hired and new, sits somewhere around 85%.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse won flags at both his 2nd and 3rd clubs.

Since 1990, there have been 112 coaching appointments - including those who were hired prior to 1990 but still coaching from 1990 onwards, excluding caretaker positions and 2023 new hires. Of those 112 appointments, 79 were first timers (70.5%) and 33 had previous stints (29.5%). Of the 33 premierships won since 1990, 24 were to first timers (72.7%) and 9 were to coaches who had previous stints (27.3%).

In the AFL era there really isn't anything clear cut to say that you are more likely to win a flag with a new coach than a re-hired coach, or vice versa. The 'failure' rate (ie no premierships won) since 1990 for coaches, both re-hired and new, sits somewhere around 85%.
That's all well and good, thanks.

I still don't think Leppitsch is someone worth considering.

IF he is appointed, AND we win a flag, I'll happily retract. (I'm pretty confident neither of those will eventuate though.)

I seriously doubt that will happen.

GM of footy at Suns is his best hope, with Grant making his coffee.
100% he’ll be hot property and highly sought after.

It’s completely possible to be a great coach and at the same time be past use by in the current situation

Reality is nothing will happen for some time. Unless Bev walks early he will be given and will give himself every opportunity to turn this around.

If he does go during this year either Smith or Lade will coach out the season. It is an opportunity for them to show their wares.

During this time a full proper review of the football department should take place to determine the characteristics we would look at for a new coach and the proper support that can be given.

Then we begin interviewing for the coach and the rest of the football department.

If Bev stays, though it is a couple of years late a full independent review of the entire football department must be done anyway

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reality is nothing will happen for some time. Unless Bev walks early he will be given and will give himself every opportunity to turn this around.

If he does go during this year either Smith or Lade will coach out the season. It is an opportunity for them to show their wares.

During this time a full proper review of the football department should take place to determine the characteristics we would look at for a new coach and the proper support that can be given.

Then we begin interviewing for the coach and the rest of the football department.

If Bev stays, though it is a couple of years late a full independent review of the entire football department must be done anyway
How do you reckon Bevo would respond to the club initiating a "full independent review of the entire football department"?

I know the scope of the review you're suggesting would be more than just the coach but if it were truly independent (a significant if) it would surely need to look at how the FD seems to be run according to Bevo's wishes*.

It's just possible Bevo would take umbrage and walk away.

* No, I don't know that for a fact - what goes on there is pretty opaque to us outsiders - but there are a lot of signs pointing to an unhealthy Bevocracy and it's a conclusion that many here have drawn over a number of years.

Rohan, Bailey or Roarke?! :think:

Is Rohan up to that role, even as fill-in? I'd suspect Lade would be the only option if Beveridge doesn't see out the season for whatever reason.

Is Rohan up to that role, even as fill-in? I'd suspect Lade would be the only option if Beveridge doesn't see out the season for whatever reason.
Not having worked in the inner sanctum I have no idea where Rohan Smith is up to for that role, he has however been there long enough for a smooth caretaker transition

I'd go so far as day we need a Bevo mk 2 (in his early days) - someone who can inject some spirit and fight into the group. That's more important than getting the players to play to the game plan right now

Norm.

25 games ago we should have won that very game by locking down Melbourne’s centre bounce dominance. We continued the same set up for what - 15 goals straight?

The following year we only made the finals because Carlton fell over. We had the team to win the flag 2022 as well, except Bevo started doing weird sh*t like backing off the mark, playing inferior players, letting go guys like Lewis Young who were never given the opportunity’s like McComb etc etc.

We could have won the last 2 flags and I blame Bevo for both failures.

Look at the spirit North are playing with under Clarkson?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back