Coach Coaching Options

Remove this Banner Ad

Really want us to get some highly rated assistants as well as a new fitness/conditioning team before we toss Bevo out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
What makes you think we can even do that given our offseason in this department? My biggest worry is that the best assistants around the league don't actually want to work with Bevo anymore. We've seen numerous highly rates coaches (Gia, Hansen, King) move on in recent times and have failed to attract anyone half decent.

I'd go so far as day we need a Bevo mk 2 (in his early days) - someone who can inject some spirit and fight into the group. That's more important than getting the players to play to the game plan right now
Bevo in 2015/16 was one of the greatest first two years in senior coaching history.

Craig McRae looks like he is on similar trajectory.

Coaches like this come around every 10years or so. It will be almost impossible to find a coach that will have similar impact to Bevo early days or current version McRae.

Bevo in 2015/16 was one of the greatest first two years in senior coaching history.

Craig McRae looks like he is on similar trajectory.

Coaches like this come around every 10years or so. It will be almost impossible to find a coach that will have similar impact to Bevo early days or current version McRae.
Yeah, considering there were a few coaching changes at the end of last year too.
Aside from Yze, who else are the 'annointed' ones that people think should be a senior coach? I'm not sure there's an obvious candidate.

Yeah, considering there were a few coaching changes at the end of last year too.
Aside from Yze, who else are the 'annointed' ones that people think should be a senior coach? I'm not sure there's an obvious candidate.
To be honest I don’t think it’s about finding the ‘messiah’ and I don’t think early Bevo or McCrae are these gods gifts to coaching that people are making out. It’s just about finding a good fit, someone fresh with some good ideas (dont have to be ground breaking) who gels with the group and can motivate them. And of course putting a good panel of support around them.

In 2015 when Bevo walked in the door we had Maple (brilliant in player development), Hansen, Corey, King, Smith, Gia, Monty & Jennings

Yeah a lot of them were fresh but in hindsight it’s a significant amount of support. And as we know Bevos main job was to release the shackles which he was perfect for. We find ourselves in a similar position now where we’re stale, need a new voice and a few fresh ideas and probably just someone who can erase the history of the past so to speak.

There’s a few demons here now, cant make top 4, got humiliated in a winnable granny etc and whilst I’m not saying these are Bevos fault, realistically we’re not going to shake them with Bevo still here, they’re too deep. Right or wrong, a new head coach may be able to shake those tags and start fresh with a really really strong list.

We’re in a much better position than when Bevo walked in the door in 2014, itd be crazy to say oh these coaches don’t come around very often let’s not bother. There would be options out there, I don’t know who they are but I also had never heard of Beverage or McCrae until their names popped up in the media as options. It’s a young man’s game at the moment, and there’s a production line of head coaches who know success in the modern era retiring every single year - go out and find the right fit for our club

The best senior coaches in waiting are not obvious.

Usually they have 10+ coaching experience in various roles. Coached their own team in some capacity & have been apart of successful environments.

Yze is media hype. He's been knocked back for two senior roles already.

I’d let the season play out, but should we not win a final I’d expect Bevo and the club to part ways end of the season (I can’t see us out of the bottom 4 right now).

I’d be interested in Don Pyke. His record was great until the camp and really should’ve been a premiership coach with crows in 17.

Also I wouldn’t be against Leppitsch, he was set up to fail at brisbane. Has done really good things at the other clubs his worked at. His tactical nous has also been talked up at Richmond and Collingwood.

Adam Simpson may also be interested in a fresh start. His another one that is highly regarded tactically but has become stale. Only issue with Simpson would be the cost. His expected wage might make it difficult to stack him with assistants under the soft cap unlike the other options.

Of the first time coaches I’d want them to come from a recently successful football department ie - Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney.

I’d steer clear of Caracella and Solomon based on recent success.

Can we throw Bevo’s money at Paul Roos and get him to come and restructure the coaching set up for us? Don’t even know if he is still in Australia but he’s the most successful touch on multiple clubs that I can think of?

I’m feeling far more pragmatic about things now. If the effort is still not there this week and next, a change will be coming surely. Other side of the coin, we change a few things and turn it around.

I’d let the season play out, but should we not win a final I’d expect Bevo and the club to part ways end of the season (I can’t see us out of the bottom 4 right now).

I’d be interested in Don Pyke. His record was great until the camp and really should’ve been a premiership coach with crows in 17.

Also I wouldn’t be against Leppitsch, he was set up to fail at brisbane. Has done really good things at the other clubs his worked at. His tactical nous has also been talked up at Richmond and Collingwood.

Adam Simpson may also be interested in a fresh start. His another one that is highly regarded tactically but has become stale. Only issue with Simpson would be the cost. His expected wage might make it difficult to stack him with assistants under the soft cap unlike the other options.

Of the first time coaches I’d want them to come from a recently successful football department ie - Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney.

I’d steer clear of Caracella and Solomon based on recent success.
Don Pyke is an excellent call. Look at the impact he has had on Sydney.

Adam Simpson hasn't evolved his game style 2018. Still playing kick-mark game when the game has moved towards territory game.

I’m feeling far more pragmatic about things now. If the effort is still not there this week and next, a change will be coming surely. Other side of the coin, we change a few things and turn it around.

Agree with this, nothing to lose really now after this start. Worst case scenario we suck, we get good picks to refresh the list in a strong draft and a new coach who starts with a strong hand. Bit of short term pain but not the end of the world

Best case, it’s the wake up call we needed and we turn it around with Bevo at the helm.

Worst case coming into the season was we * around in the endless mediocrity of the middle of the ladder again, nothing changes and we continue on. I don’t think that’s an option now

Agree with this, nothing to lose really now after this start. Worst case scenario we suck, we get good picks to refresh the list in a strong draft and a new coach who starts with a strong hand. Bit of short term pain but not the end of the world

Best case, it’s the wake up call we needed and we turn it around with Bevo at the helm.

Worst case coming into the season was we * around in the endless mediocrity of the middle of the ladder again, nothing changes and we continue on. I don’t think that’s an option now

I also don’t get the sense that the club and players aren’t united and certainly don’t think there’d be animosity towards the coach on a personal level. Guessing they’re just as frustrated as we are that the system isn’t working. Of course I have no real basis for these assumptions but that’s my gut feel.

I also don’t get the sense that the club and players aren’t united and certainly don’t think there’d be animosity towards the coach on a personal level. Guessing they’re just as frustrated as we are that the system isn’t working. Of course I have no real basis for these assumptions but that’s my gut feel.

It doesn’t seem like it from the outside hey but at the same time results speak for themselves and if it doesn’t change I’d suspect that will change pretty quickly.

I definitely don’t think it’s outright lost faith in the coach but maybe just tired of the message? Or uninspired

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don Pyke is an excellent call. Look at the impact he has had on Sydney.

Adam Simpson hasn't evolved his game style 2018. Still playing kick-mark game when the game has moved towards territory game.
In fairness to Adam Simpson he probably doesn’t have a side that can play a run and gun style.

I think he could change with a fresh start and a capable side.

I think the club's priority should be to replace Grant with the best possible person.
Our footy department stinks. It has been too Bevo centric for too long.
FFS, we lost two B&F's end of last year (with us pushing one of them out the door!).
Our ability to identify and develop unrecognized talent is woeful (I can't think of any rookie or second-round plus selections in the Bevo era cementing a place in our best 22). Team fitness is woeful. I could go on.

Replace Grant ASAP!

25 games ago we should have won that very game by locking down Melbourne’s centre bounce dominance. We continued the same set up for what - 15 goals straight?

The following year we only made the finals because Carlton fell over. We had the team to win the flag 2022 as well, except Bevo started doing weird sh*t like backing off the mark, playing inferior players, letting go guys like Lewis Young who were never given the opportunity’s like McComb etc etc.

We could have won the last 2 flags and I blame Bevo for both failures.

Look at the spirit North are playing with under Clarkson?

Very hard to win flags BrisDog, but I hope you liked the way Bevo gave it to the Brisso's last night :D:fire::thumbsu:

I think Brendan Bolton would be good second time around. Wasn't that bad at Carlton, didn't really have the cattle there at the time. The man can coach.

Good call but I’d go for Scott Watters. Everyone needs a second chance

Do you have an idea he is not? Transition coaches nearly always come from the current group. Who is ahead of Smith?

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Your post I quoted you literally wrote "I have no idea if he's up to the role"!

Lade is the SENIOR assistant. He is also in the current group. Lade addressed the players before the opening bounce last night. Lade has experience at several other clubs.

At a guess, I'd say Lade is ahead of Smith, given their respective job titles!

Our previous two interim coaches - Rohde and Williams - were the senior assistants when they took over from Wallace and Eade, having built experience elsewhere. Smith has never been outside the club bubble.

Losing them was never questioned. Was more around structure for me.
I mainly read here, so pick up the vibe a bit.
Some lament structures but certainly many feel or felt he had lost the playing group. You don't have to search hard to find many posts stating that.

If he is the right coach or not aside, it's clear the players (majority at least) love him, respect him and trust him.

I mainly read here, so pick up the vibe a bit.
Some lament structures but certainly many feel or felt he had lost the playing group. You don't have to search hard to find many posts stating that.

If he is the right coach or not aside, it's clear the players (majority at least) love him, respect him and trust him.
Fair observation.

Sometimes when people say "lost the players" it's because the team has come to dislike the bloke and have no respect for him (maybe McCartney was close to that point, for example). But sometimes it can just mean they are not hearing the message, even if they still like him. Or love him, in this case.

I think they love him because they always feel supported privately and fiercely defended publicly, through think and thin. This has been a dominant and consistent feature of his entire tenure at the club. (Actually I don't think that's quite 100% true for ALL players - but that's a layered and more nuanced issue for discussion elsewhere.)

While they love him they might still have become inured to his match day addresses and metaphors. They might still have lost confidence in his selections, structure or game plan and become confused by tactics (like retreating 5m).

In other words the emotional bond may still be there throughout, but the motivational and tactical side may run hot and cold. Clearly it ran warm to hot on Thursday but we are still left scratching our heads about where that performance was in Rounds 1 and 2 and wondering whether we can sustain it throughout most of 2023. Did the players just flick the switch themselves or did the coach have a hand in it? And if he did, why didn't that motivation get through earlier in the season?

I should add that it's not just a BF vibe. Similar comments have been made by media commentators including ex-players. Some of them of course are idiots, narcissists and axe-grinders, but some have insights and experience worth reflecting on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back