News Coaching selection sub-committee named

Remove this Banner Ad

He took Freo from being a laughing stock to contending in finals which included making a grand final.

Freo have stars that have developed under Ross’s watch. They’ve been hit by injuries this year & are undertaking a semi-rebuild.

I think it’s time Ross left Freo, his voice has become stale & he & the players need a change. I’m not saying he’s a poor coach at all he’s just not the right man for Freo right now.

I tend to compare football clubs to big corporations: you need to regularly bring in a new voice, with fresh ideas & philosophies to challenge the staff.

The second most successful St Kilda coach in their entire history & a bees dick away from being a multiple premiership winning coach.

He’s far from perfect & he has made his fair share of mistakes.

I’m open minded about our new coach. I like the idea of RTB returning & making us a serious club again (we are a joke right now). I equally like the idea of Ratts getting a second chance. I also like the idea of bringing in a noob like Longmuir/Mitchell/Caracella.

Bottom line: the club needs to run a thorough process with no preconceived opinions & choose the best person for the club.

There's no second best coach, you win or you dont.. Jeans is the only successful coach we have had, and Lyon and his bees-dick, ball bounced the wrong way, toe-poke list of excuses is back with the rest of the pack having failed to crack the magic formula

Correct Wayne. He needs a change & Freo need a change. Have a look at that article. He had Freo going at about 75% winning percentage in his first four years there. He’s definitely outstayed his time there though. He’s an icing on the cake type coach. I reckon Billings would become a star of the comp under Ross’s tutelage.
He should be judged by his entire body of work over his tenure, just like you judged Richo.

They have gone backwards since they made the GF.

Rebuild? Injuries? What's good for the Cho is good for the Boss.

Double standards... Zero cred.

He took Freo from being a laughing stock to contending in finals which included making a grand final.

Freo have stars that have developed under Ross’s watch. They’ve been hit by injuries this year & are undertaking a semi-rebuild.

I think it’s time Ross left Freo, his voice has become stale & he & the players need a change. I’m not saying he’s a poor coach at all he’s just not the right man for Freo right now.

I tend to compare football clubs to big corporations: you need to regularly bring in a new voice, with fresh ideas & philosophies to challenge the staff.
Freo last made finals in 2015 and have hovered around mediocre since then. He currently has access to more A graders than on our list, plus since then hasn't developed any stand out player. I think he has been found out as a coach and isn't adaptable enough, in a way Clarko is, to innovate with the game and change how he does things.

I agree that he may be stale at Fremantle but I think he needs to spend time developing himself as a coach before he steps into another head coaching role. I don't think he has done much to better himself as a coach and adapt with the ways the game has changed. He needs fresh ideas and philosophies to make himself a better coach because his current level of coaching isn't really working.

Freo last made finals in 2015 and have hovered around mediocre since then. He currently has access to more A graders than on our list, plus since then hasn't developed any stand out player. I think he has been found out as a coach and isn't adaptable enough, in a way Clarko is, to innovate with the game and change how he does things.

I agree that he may be stale at Fremantle but I think he needs to spend time developing himself as a coach before he steps into another head coaching role. I don't think he has done much to better himself as a coach and adapt with the ways the game has changed. He needs fresh ideas and philosophies to make himself a better coach because his current level of coaching isn't really working.

He’s still highly regarded in the industry. I think it was Leigh Matthews the other day that had him only behind 2-3 other coaches as the best current coach going around.

It seems incredibly toxic at Freo at the moment & there’s clearly an agenda to get him out of Freo.

I think the fact he’s taken two clubs to grand finals suggests he’s extremely capable.

The last few years at Freo tell me that he’s certainly stuck around for too long but I disagree that he’s lost his ability to coach/hasn’t kept up with modern coaching.

Anyway, I think we’ll select Ratts after he wins 4/6.

I think you're over analysing it TBH.

Simon's instructions from the AFL are to ensure we appoint the right people and get the club back on track.

One such appointment was for on field leadership which we sorely needed. So what if he used his influence to get Hanners across?

Are we going to complain if Gubby uses his friendship to get Whitfield to join us?

If we don't trust Simon to act in the clubs best interests then you're saying he has no integrity, which IMO is BS.

I wasn’t really analysing it, just really saying what the media have said about these two things. I’m tired of the media spouting the “typical St.Kilda” way of doing things that even a few of our own posters have said, and the fact that the footy world generally thinks we’re a bit of a laughing stock and unprofessional in how we go about doing things.

No. I am blaming Lyon for destroying our list post whilst at saints. Pelchon rode in to fix the Lyon era and was just as bad unfortunately. Two fools left us in a mess both times
Harsh. Lyon was told to win a flag no matter what. Everyone could see what was happening with the list but they thought we could win a flag. Considering we won one in 140 years I will always believe it was worth the punt.

I think you're over analysing it TBH.

Simon's instructions from the AFL are to ensure we appoint the right people and get the club back on track.

One such appointment was for on field leadership which we sorely needed. So what if he used his influence to get Hanners across?

Are we going to complain if Gubby uses his friendship to get Whitfield to join us?

If we don't trust Simon to act in the clubs best interests then you're saying he has no integrity, which IMO is BS.

Come on VDS, there’s a bit of a difference between a broken down Hanners on a huge contract and Whitfield surely? Hanners may have great leadership but it’s yet to be seen whether that’s going to be delivered on field for us at all.

Personally, I have no idea whether Lethlean has integrity or not.

Harsh. Lyon was told to win a flag no matter what. Everyone could see what was happening with the list but they thought we could win a flag. Considering we won one in 140 years I will always believe it was worth the punt.
And that's the StKilda way. No wonder hawks eagles pies cats swans are better performed over time cause they have one eye on flag and one eye on future

And that's the StKilda way. No wonder hawks eagles pies cats swans are better performed over time cause they have one eye on flag and one eye on future
Well he was hamstrung with poor salary cap managing and poor recruiting. Not sure he can be blamed for either. Anyway best time of my life as a saints supporter. Wouldn’t swap it for anything. We aren’t those other clubs. That’s just how it is.

Wanted to give this a bit of breathing room as to not get lost in the other discussion of coaches going on. I will merge it with the 'next coach' thread later.

David Rath interests me. Has very recent connections to a club that has a coach in limbo...please make it happen.

Hopefully Ratts didn't steal his carapace when he was at the Hawks.

I’m a big RTB fan & I believe our list is primed for a bit of Rossy action. Hope we get him.

I rate Ross but agree with who ever it was with the analogy along the lines of Ross is like taking back an ex that ran off with your mate. The romance of getting him back is too tainted for me. I think it was Jughead actually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no second best coach, you win or you dont.. Jeans is the only successful coach we have had, and Lyon and his bees-dick, ball bounced the wrong way, toe-poke list of excuses is back with the rest of the pack having failed to crack the magic formula

Yeah some one did a goal and behinds reversed ladder on facebook, we were third. You could run an excuse that if we'd kicked straight Richo would have had us top 4. You win or you don't win.

I rate Ross but agree with who ever it was with the analogy along the lines of Ross is like taking back an ex that ran off with your mate. The romance of getting him back is too tainted for me. I think it was Jughead actually.

I just wanna win a flag & I think he gives us that opportunity more than many others. I guess you could say I’m happy to take the ex back because she’s a real goer

I just wanna win a flag & I think he gives us that opportunity more than many others. I guess you could say I’m happy to take the ex back because she’s a real goer

His colours have been lowered at Freo lately. I actually think he suits a side more ready to go. I still think we are a few years off being a top 4 side.

Yeah but when you wake in the morning and see her without her makeup on

He’s still highly regarded in the industry. I think it was Leigh Matthews the other day that had him only behind 2-3 other coaches as the best current coach going around.

It seems incredibly toxic at Freo at the moment & there’s clearly an agenda to get him out of Freo.

I think the fact he’s taken two clubs to grand finals suggests he’s extremely capable.

The last few years at Freo tell me that he’s certainly stuck around for too long but I disagree that he’s lost his ability to coach/hasn’t kept up with modern coaching.

Anyway, I think we’ll select Ratts after he wins 4/6.
The other thing with Ross that doesn't get mentioned so often is how fortunate he was to not get the bullet last year over the "sexaul harrassment" controversy he was involved in.

Smack bang the middle of the "#metoo" frenzy, stories of a christmas party going wrong emerged and he somehow avoided the sack. He's pretty much the only public figure from around that time from any industry that was accused of wrongdoing, weathered the storm and actually stayed on at his job... but I reckon the scars would still be there for him and the club.

I'd be pretty surprised if he wouldn't jump at a long-term deal at a Melbourne club. It just feels like he has run his race at Freo and that for a variety of reasons he would see it in his interests to move on.

He's a career coach that probably has one more big payday left so he's certainly an interesting player in the upcoming coaching merry-go-round with his CV. I'd be really surprised if he'd end up with us but stranger things have happened.

Ancient-Aliens.jpg

Come on VDS, there’s a bit of a difference between a broken down Hanners on a huge contract and Whitfield surely? Hanners may have great leadership but it’s yet to be seen whether that’s going to be delivered on field for us at all.

Personally, I have no idea whether Lethlean has integrity or not.
On principle, no there isn't any difference.

On principle, no there isn't any difference.

I don’t see it.
Obviously this industry is all about contacts and I don’t have a problem with them being used. That’s life.

But a broken down player (yes I get the leadership thing) vs a young star, there’s just no comparison.

Could you say unequivocally that we would have got Hanners if there was no family connection? I can’t. I just don’t know, but I can see why there are aspersions cast on that trade.

That’s all I’m saying. And of course, most people in the media.
If we got Whitfield, absolutely no one would wonder why we went after him though.

I don’t see it.
Obviously this industry is all about contacts and I don’t have a problem with them being used. That’s life.

But a broken down player (yes I get the leadership thing) vs a young star, there’s just no comparison.

Could you say unequivocally that we would have got Hanners if there was no family connection? I can’t. I just don’t know, but I can see why there are aspersions cast on that trade.

That’s all I’m saying. And of course, most people in the media.
If we got Whitfield, absolutely no one would wonder why we went after him though.
Pretty sure that he one of their best in last year's finals.

Broken down is a bit extreme IMO.

Maybe that friendship helped get him across the line.

I doubt the club are that stupid to recruit him just because Lethers said so...

If he plays a full season next year, it won't matter.

Let the bullshitters bullshit all they like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back